Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adding pedestals to a 43.03 fort in 44.12 - SUCCESS!!!  (Read 1463 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Adding pedestals to a 43.03 fort in 44.12 - SUCCESS!!!
« on: July 14, 2018, 10:42:07 am »

Hi!

I have a fort that was generated in 43.03, then eventually ported to 44.12.  I know NCommander was able to add display pedestals to the Archcrystals save file, but can anyone give me a step-by-step "idiot's guide for dummies" explanation of how to do it in mine?  I realize that making a back-up of the save file is the first step, but I don't know what to do after that.

- Dame de la Licorne
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 02:33:27 pm by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
Re: Adding pedestals to a 43.03 fort in 44.12
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 08:03:51 am »

1. Find entity_default in the save file's raws folder
2. Paste [TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_PEDESTAL] and [TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_DISPLAY_CASE] anywhere under [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] in entity_default

This is literally everything you need to do.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 08:10:15 am »

2. Paste [TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_PEDESTAL] and [TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_DISPLAY_CASE] anywhere under [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] in entity_default

All right, so I did the following:

0) Made the backup test save.
1) Copied the [ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_PEDESTAL] and [ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_DISPLAY_CASE] entries from the 44.12 item_tool.txt file to my ported item_tool.txt file in the test save.
2) Pasted [TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_PEDESTAL] and [TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_DISPLAY_CASE] into the entity_default.txt file under [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] in my test save.

But I can't find pedestals in the carpentry, glassworks or forge.  What am I missing?

- Dame de la Licorne
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 08:23:19 am by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 10:28:22 am »

Oh, apparently I was wrong, sorry about that. I found this though:

If you upgrade your save only some of the new feature will be introduced, while some won't make it. You won't get any world gen artifacts, as your world didn't generate them, for instance. Apart from that you won't get access to Pedestals and Display Cases. Those are the things I know of, but there may very well be other things you'll miss out on.

I have been able to make a world DF2017 ready, including forcing in Pedestals and Display Cases. You have to use the development tools to inject the raws, and make sure your game is backed up on the way.

Relevant Posts:
The command line inputs: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161271.msg7652528#msg7652528
Changes to devel/inject-raws script that may be needed: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164123.msg7652859#msg7652859

Order for updating a no-mods game:
1) Backup.
2) Replace Raws with DF2017 ones.
3) Load save, use
Code: [Select]
devel/inject-raws tool ITEM_TOOL_PEDESTAL tool ITEM_TOOL_DISPLAY_CASE4) Immediately save without unpausing.
5) Reload game, enter code
devel/inject-raws reaction "MAKE WOODEN DISPLAY CASE"6) Immediately save again without unpausing.
7) Load game. If it loads without problems, you should be ready to go.

As noted, entities will have to produce their artefacts over time in the game (so over a few years or so), and you'll have to wait a while for the entities to make use of the new functionalities.

Edit: You also have to copy over the new raws, and make relevant changes if you are on a mod. If no mods, just copy over the new raws and afterwards do the raw injection.

I did petition to have an autoupdate feature in the LNP given the success in updating worlds, but apparently it is quite difficult (and will be very OS-specific too).

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 10:36:18 am »

oh, I didnt know about this... you can update existing saves with new objects, maybe even workshops/reactions due to dfhack?

That would allow mods to be installed into already existing forts. Interesting. No more need for a new worldgen.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 11:07:23 am »

So I tried SQman's strategy, and the final loading of the save stalls on "reactions".  So, unless it just takes a really long time to load (I let it sit for over 10 minutes, but it didn't progress any further), I guess this won't work for my fort.  Bummer.   :-\

- Dame de la Licorne

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 08:59:42 am »

So I tried SQman's strategy, and the final loading of the save stalls on "reactions".  So, unless it just takes a really long time to load (I let it sit for over 10 minutes, but it didn't progress any further), I guess this won't work for my fort.  Bummer.   :-\

- Dame de la Licorne
Which strategy? If you mean the first one, i.e.

This will not work, and is likely to break your save, causing it to crash or hang when loading it like you described.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 11:24:20 am »

Presumably the one CaptainArchmage posted, because he already tried the one in SQman's first post in this thread before that one to no effect.

But it's possible Dame de la Licorne tried the two in same save instead of separate saves.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adding pedestals to a 43.03 fort in 44.12 - SUCCESS!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 06:53:17 pm »

<snip>
Which strategy? If you mean the first one, i.e.
<snip>
This will not work, and is likely to break your save, causing it to crash or hang when loading it like you described.
I was referring to the second one (quoted from CaptainArchmage), but...

But it's possible Dame de la Licorne tried the two in same save instead of separate saves.
I did do this.  I'll try again with a new back-up save, using just CaptainArchmage's strategy, now that I'm back at my DF computer.

- Dame de la Licorne

Edit: OK, I think I've managed to get it to work.  At least, the save has loaded with no error messages or crashing once unpaused, and display cases show up in the carpenter's list of options.  Since I have a modded game, this is what I did:
1) Made the backup.
2) Copied [TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_PEDESTAL] and [TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_DISPLAY_CASE] and [PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKE WOODEN DISPLAY CASE] (from the newest entity_default.txt file) into the save's entity_default.txt file, under [MOUNTAIN].
3) Copied the entries [ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_DISPLAY_CASE] and [ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_PEDESTAL] from the newest release's item_tool.txt file into the save's item_tool.txt file.
4) Copied the reaction [REACTION:MAKE WOODEN DISPLAY CASE] from the newest release's reaction_other.txt file into the save's reaction_other.txt file.
5) Applied the following from CaptainArchmage's strategy:
3) Load save, use
devel/inject-raws tool ITEM_TOOL_PEDESTAL tool ITEM_TOOL_DISPLAY_CASE4) Immediately save without unpausing.
5) Reload game, enter code
devel/inject-raws reaction "MAKE WOODEN DISPLAY CASE"6) Immediately save again without unpausing.
7) Load game. If it loads without problems, you should be ready to go.

I'll report back once I've successfully made and built a pedestal, but there is hope.   :D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 02:31:58 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 02:32:47 pm »

It worked!  I've successfully made, built and used a pedestal in my fort, without any wonky behavior.   :D

- Dame de la Licorne

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 02:42:49 pm »

As I pointed out in the thread with CaptainArchmage's comment (for anyone just reading here), those instructions are more tedious than they need to be - you don't need to save after the first devel/inject-raws command, only after both (i.e. take out his step 4).
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.