Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: modern day/futuristic tolkien setting?  (Read 3929 times)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: modern day/futuristic tolkien setting?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 10:43:39 am »

Alright but I dare you to GM a shadowrun game online.

☼FUN☼

• Bay Watcher
  • dabbling forum user
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 10:23:16 pm »

ok im really sorry for that but I just freaked out and wanted to end the thread by just saying that it was shadowrun
but ShadowRun wasn't what I had in mind so I made a new thread explaining my idea

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=171418.0
Have you seen the invisible kobold?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2018, 06:22:37 am »

Alright but I dare you to GM a shadowrun game online.

I did for a little while a few months ago, but I picked the wrong group and ended up feeling pretty drained.  I've got friends that I enjoy spending time with, but absolutely should not roleplay with.  It's a shame, because I had some beautiful ideas for themed servers and interesting interactions between the physical and digital, but it all came to nought (didn't help that they despite me saying that I wanted to make use of these VR server themes, they all resolutely refused to play a VR character once the game actually begun -playing with 3 adepts in a party of 4 will do a lot to dampen one's enthusiasm.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 12:01:37 pm »

I know this is a bit off topic but usually, when I GM, I don't really have a scenario. I just write down a situation where factions are in conflicts and all have a plot to defeat each other in some fashion, write the context in details, add some neutral npcs and just throw the players into that. The players need to understand what is going on, make their choices and use their own skills to achieve the goals they set for themselves. I had that failing only once, it usually works well for me.

If there's an interest, maybe we could have a game going, I'd be all for it

ok im really sorry for that but I just freaked out and wanted to end the thread by just saying that it was shadowrun
but ShadowRun wasn't what I had in mind so I made a new thread explaining my idea

I'm just trying to help, sorry if my propositions do not fit you, and there's no reason to freak out. Good luck for your project

☼FUN☼

• Bay Watcher
  • dabbling forum user
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2018, 02:02:21 pm »

I know this is a bit off topic but usually, when I GM, I don't really have a scenario. I just write down a situation where factions are in conflicts and all have a plot to defeat each other in some fashion, write the context in details, add some neutral npcs and just throw the players into that. The players need to understand what is going on, make their choices and use their own skills to achieve the goals they set for themselves. I had that failing only once, it usually works well for me.

I'm just trying to help, sorry if my propositions do not fit you, and there's no reason to freak out. Good luck for your project
thx   :D
Have you seen the invisible kobold?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2018, 03:35:08 am »

Cathar, I generally prefer to run an open world but focused on the players still - I've had players lose momentum when they don't have a solid task in mind, so I make sure the world nudges them.  On servers, I meant that I had some beautiful ideas for any servers they run on, so when they encounter one I could throw in the Japanese themed castle, or the world war 2 battlefield or starship boarding action etc as the theme for that server and actions are framed in terms of that theme, and then rolled on the appropriate hacking equivalent, complete with a free icon-change for the player(s) so they fit in on the server.  I've played a few games of shadowrun where servers were unthemed or only paper-thin and it felt like a waste fo a whole second world.

If someone wants to do some SR, I'd be up for that.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 [2]