Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: modern day/futuristic tolkien setting?  (Read 3928 times)

☼FUN☼

• Bay Watcher
  • dabbling forum user
    • View Profile
modern day/futuristic tolkien setting?
« on: July 15, 2018, 12:04:13 am »

is there any kind of content like a game/webcomic/anything that involves the usual tolkien setting (elves,dwarves,etc) but it takes place in the present or in the future?

it would be cool to see dwarves making gigantic underground facillities and magicaly enhanced fire arms
kobolds forming gangs and mafia
elves doing... what ever futuristic elves would do
Have you seen the invisible kobold?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: modern day/futuristic tolkien setting?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 12:57:26 am »

Shadowrun. Anything shadowrun. That's what you're looking for

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 05:32:36 am »

I believe World of Warcraft might have some of those things? Not entirely certain though. I only played it for a very short period of time.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

☼FUN☼

• Bay Watcher
  • dabbling forum user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 11:32:34 am »

Shadowrun. Anything shadowrun. That's what you're looking for
but in shadowrun humans suddently become different creatures
I wanna see what would happen in a world where tolkien creatures aways existed but set in the future

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 11:45:32 am »

You'd have...warhammer 40k...?
Squats are humans turned dwarves, but eldars have always been space elves. But yeah. Warhammer 40k. Not the most subtles of universes but it fits your requirements

☼FUN☼

• Bay Watcher
  • dabbling forum user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 12:15:50 pm »

You'd have...warhammer 40k...?
Squats are humans turned dwarves, but eldars have always been space elves. But yeah. Warhammer 40k. Not the most subtles of universes but it fits your requirements
thx but apparently nobody has made what I had in mind

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 12:18:18 pm »

Clearly you are sitting on a pile of gold, you should patent it quick

☼FUN☼

• Bay Watcher
  • dabbling forum user
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 12:19:16 pm »

Clearly you are sitting on a pile of gold, you should patent it quick
maybe

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 12:31:09 pm »

That Netflix movie, Bright, maybe? It's just a buddy-cop movie with orcs instead of darker skinned humans, though.

I think the biggest problem with modern fantasy as a setting is that it's really hard to believably plot out how magic would change history after the various renaissance/industrial revolutions.

If there's enough magic for dwarves to mass-enchant guns, you're going to get most of the population learning magic as schoolchildren, as soon as they can be trusted with it. (Even even one country does, most of them will NEED to in order to compete. If country A has magical sweatshop workers and B just staffs factories with children ... B's going to be steamrolled in any economy competition.)

Mix that in with immortal elves competent enough to survive, instead of just giving up and running off to the afterlife when humans start getting strong. They get so much wealth and power concentration, even if just from smart long-term investments and competency accumulation. Mix this with the above, and the smart elves are actually going to be looking pretty nice and generous to the common-folk. But what does that make the world look like?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 12:36:56 pm »

Bright's probably the best option, if you don't want Shadowrun. There's also the old d20 Modern setting "Urban Arcana". That one's premise was that magic and D&D creatures come and go in our world, a bit like interdimensional tides.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 12:49:51 pm »

Clearly you are sitting on a pile of gold, you are Space Smaug
FTFY

Really, based on your (OP's) initial description, 40k fits very well.

There'll probably be something like a GURPS RPG book with what you have in mind, too. Or at least a decent way to combine Future and Fantasy rulesets if someone puts the effort in. I've seen some MUDs that have taken fantasy mythos as the basis for their Mecha setting, too, but that was a while ago and I can't immediately think how to look them up as current/archived reference material.

Are you thinking something like the Arthur, King of Time Of Space non-historic arc-lines, but less 'Thomas Mallory' and more John Ronald Reuel Tolkien in mythos? I'm sure there's something, but anything else that seems to match could be equally wrong if you have a particular vision in your head that we can't match.

(There have been suggestions that the Middle Earth of the books is the future of us! It requires in-universe histories such as the whole Silmarillion to be subtly or not-so-subtly wrong, or at least a reinterpretation. I've heard it said that the universal timeline of mankind is Star Wars --(via a relocation from that galaxy to this one, and a long time passing of course)-> us --(via various cataclysms and a few geological ages)-> Hobbit/LOTR.

☼FUN☼

• Bay Watcher
  • dabbling forum user
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 01:08:39 pm »

nevermind i've took a more in depht look at shadowrun and turns out that was what I was looking for after all

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 01:20:42 pm »

Lol.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 01:22:31 pm »

I don't have to write off my reaction because my current avatar is uncanningly appropriate

But yes. Shadowrun is cool. It's cyberpunk DnD with magic and hacking into giant megacorps computers with elves and dwarves
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 01:27:13 pm by Cathar »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 07:21:45 am »

Don't you dare even compare shadowrun to DnD.  If the rules weren't so damnably a pain-in-my-arse, I'd play it more.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: [1] 2