Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are 44.12 stockpiles storage bugged?  (Read 1623 times)

paladin225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are 44.12 stockpiles storage bugged?
« on: July 15, 2018, 03:29:50 am »

Dwarves seem to store one thing per tile in stockpiles now?  Like one cup per tile, one splint per tile, one piece of leather per tile etc.  How do you get them to store things in bins and barrels like they use to do so well in older versions?  Almost to autumn and haven't been able to finish unloading my wagon because of this.

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are 44.12 stockpiles storage bugged?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 05:07:05 am »

Did you possibly make a custom stockpile or start from a binless one like furniture and forgot to change the bins/barrels settings? Not all stockpiles have them enabled by default.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 05:21:24 am »

They don't seemed bugged to me (but I don't usually use barrels or bins in stockpiles). Press q and hover the cursor over a stockpile to see something like this:

If you have Max Barrel and Max Bin set to zero, press r or v respectively to increase the number of barrels and/or bins that the stockpile can use.

If the stockpile is already set to take them, and you have free barrels and bins, I don't know what would cause it.

paladin225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 06:08:35 am »

but I don't usually use barrels or bins in stockpiles

Honestly, it seems about unplayable right now without having items stored in containers.  Its been a long time since I've played but do the dwarves usually just move one single item at a time? They don't carry multiples or stacks of items unless they're already in containers right?  So how would you get anything done without using containers?  They're moving like, one piece of thread at a time and taking a whole tile in the stockpile to store just that one thread, for example... and I brought like 20 pigtail threads on the wagon at embark, so thats 20 trips from the wagon and 20 squares of stockpile space, just for 20 thread. Same thing for the 20 pieces of leather I brought and many other items. At this rate it seems like I'd probably be using huge expanses of the map just as a stockpile for what I had on the wagon at embark.

I did notice that barrels and bins were set to zero on my main stockpile, I set them to max but so far nothing seems to have changed, I guess I could erase the stockpile and remake it and see if that fixes anything.  I have made some other stockpiles though with barrels/bins enabled from the start and the containers still don't seem to be getting used so far.  I don't remember having to set bins/barrels manually in older DF versions either, I'd just make a stockpile and the dwarves would bring containers to it if it was a stockpile that could remotely make use of containers. I remember they would drag containers around with them too and collect stuff, so they weren't carrying one single item at a time but they don't seem to be doing that now.

So yeah... this is all kind of strange to me really.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 07:07:27 am »

I think I played without bins. I make huge stockpiles. I may have forgot, though.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 07:53:05 am »

@"Are 44.12 stockpiles storage bugged?": Haven't heard anything of containers becoming less troublesome. Though it might be that you set reserved bins/barrels in stockpile placement menu high (those bins and barrels won't be used for placing things in stockpiles), or don't have any accessible for the piles.

@" They're moving like, one piece of thread at a time and taking a whole tile in the stockpile to store just that one thread": I use minecart quantum stockpiles, but even without minecarts (which can hold 33,33 bins worth of goods, though non-food seems inaccessible+drinks only accessible for cooking) you can just use the workshop itself as stockpile for everything that doesn't rot and maintain just-in-time production utilizing manager or workflow and dfhack's planning mode.

I.e. instead of having 20 thread in a stockpile, just keep them in the farmer's workshop and let the loom or dyer take them directly from it as needed. No need for an extra job to move it to stockpile. Instead of producing 100 beds, tables, chairs, etc. at once (which can't be stored in bins), produce just 1 or 2, and make more as you run out.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 07:54:45 am by Fleeting Frames »

Nooklie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 01:09:17 pm »

paladin225,
       I'm going to try and reproduce your weird incident, before I do are you using vanilla DF or with Dfhack? You using a save from older version or starting fresh? Give me some specifics and I'll be a happy camper knowing before I plunge into it.
Thank you

« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 01:28:54 pm by Nooklie »

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 10:18:00 pm »

I'm playing 44.12 right now and stockpile bins and barrels are working exactly the way they have always done.  Which is not to say, that there aren't a ton of bugs, but not the ones you are seeing :-)

However, just embrace containerless fortresses!  Things work a million times better because all those container bugs are avoided.  You don't need stockpiles with a million items in them anyway.  Just build stuff when you need it.  The only thing I use containers for are blocks (as long as I have about a million of them), and any item which services exactly one workshop -- for example, I've decided to brew blueberry wine and I will *never* cook blueberries, so it's fine to have a barrel of blueberries.  Otherwise you have to know the massive list of weird work-arounds to avoid problems.

carewolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 05:07:54 pm »

Make more bins.. More bins.. Always more bins..

What to do with all this wood- Make bed, and then bin
What to do with all this brass - Make bins
What to do with all this lead - Make sweet toxic barrels.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 03:59:46 pm »

How exactly are stockpiles/bins bugged? I don't recall having major problems.

Nooklie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 07:37:20 pm »

That's what I'm trying to figure out but this guy just isn't responding back. He asks for help but no help in return. Upsets me a little bit.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 11:57:05 pm »

He worked out that he had accidentally reserved them:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=171427.0