Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is exact capacity of leather quiver??  (Read 2150 times)

DWARFFRAWD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is exact capacity of leather quiver??
« on: July 15, 2018, 05:45:20 pm »

I've thought that quiver can hold 25 bolts maximally.

But when i added new ammo(cannon ball) and made "steel cannon balls[60]", stupid marksdwarf stored 60 cannon balls into quiver and walked painfully with overweighted inventory. Dwarf never split ammo clip.

How many ammo that quiver can hold? Is it infinite?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: What is exact capacity of leather quiver??
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 11:36:30 pm »

I would bet that a quiver can hold as large an ammo item stack as you can create. You seem to have shown that the dwarfs will not split the ammo item stack, and I don't recall any dwarfs splitting other item stacks. I mean that when processing jobs, dwarfs will remove one item from an item stack and repeat, but they do not look at that item stack of 5 and say "I only need 3 of those, let me split it into a stack of 3 and a stack of 2".
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 02:41:27 am »

Quivers can hold multiple stacks of varying amounts if needed and according to the wiki they can hold a maximum of 49 bolts. For example you can have a stack of 13 iron bolts, 1 copper bolt, 6 iron bolts, 5 bone bolts etc. As far as I know the only way to produce split stacks is either from using a stack or salvaging ammo.

My guess is that because your custom ammo is produced in stacks of 60 pieces, you can circumvent the quiver's maximum amount.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 07:00:02 am »

According to the wiki, Quivers have an effective CAPACITY of 1200[0] and Ammo has a "volume" of SIZE/10, so a quiver should be able to store up to 80 arrows or bolts, and a brief test in Arena mode confirms that this is the case.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 07:27:16 am »

Then this guide is wrong, I guess.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Dragonborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 08:59:47 am »

There's a lot of things wrong in that guide.  Maybe it was relevant at one point, but it contains a lot of outdated information/hearsay
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 09:03:35 am by Dragonborn »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 06:04:21 pm »

That guide doesn't actually state the "capacity" of a quiver - rather, it states how full Dwarves will fill them in Fortress Mode, which is purely a side effect of the logic used by military squads to acquire ammo (pick up a stack of bolts if the quiver contains less than 25, where bolts never occur in stacks larger than 25).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 07:27:16 pm »

That guide doesn't actually state the "capacity" of a quiver - rather, it states how full Dwarves will fill them in Fortress Mode, which is purely a side effect of the logic used by military squads to acquire ammo (pick up a stack of bolts if the quiver contains less than 25, where bolts never occur in stacks larger than 25).
Additionally, the Fort Mode logic changed in 0.42.03 to fix an issue. They now count training bolts separately from combat bolts. The maximum should now be 98 bolts, assuming the last stack is allowed to overflow quiver capacity.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 07:38:01 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

gazaren

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 12:26:59 pm »

Additionally, the Fort Mode logic changed in 0.42.03 to fix an issue. They now count training bolts separately from combat bolts. The maximum should now be 98 bolts, assuming the last stack is allowed to overflow quiver capacity.

The wiki also mentions a bug related to the use of training and combat bolts, and how marksdwarves don't really use them properly. Is that no longer the case?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 04:40:25 am »

The wiki also mentions a bug related to the use of training and combat bolts, and how marksdwarves don't really use them properly. Is that no longer the case?
Should be fixed now, as mentioned above.

--edit
And that guide linked to above has more than a few problems. Read it as an absolute last resort if playing the game completely normally doesn't work for you.

It starts off OK, but then it comes up with stuff like:
"The first rule of marksdwarf training is you do *not* assign them a normal barracks. If they have that, they will prefer to train as hammerdwarves with their crossbows vs. actually shooting bolts..."

Where on earth does that come from? Some ancient bugged version of the game presumably.

Ordinary marksdwarves train dodging, biting, crossbow recognition and other standard barracks skills in a barracks. They then go to their archery range to do archery practice when regular melee dorfs would normally start sparring (I.e, not often at first, more so at higher skill levels).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:51:35 am by Shonai_Dweller »