Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Delay(ticks) of triggerable objects  (Read 688 times)

EpicMadness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Delay(ticks) of triggerable objects
« on: July 15, 2018, 08:55:37 pm »

i know that theres delays in using pressure-plates, but does anyone know the specific numbers of other objects when directly operated by dwarves?

e.g.
doors = [OPEN]1tick? / [CLOSE]1tick?
hatch = [OPEN]1tick? / [CLOSE]1tick?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 04:07:35 am by EpicMadness »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Delay(ticks) of triggerable objects
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 11:03:31 am »

It appears to be "zero tick cost" for a dwarf to open or close a door. I put a door in an empty hallway and sent a miner through it. It took 9 ticks for the dwarf to move each tile, including the tiles involving the door, where the dwarf would move and open or close the door without costing any additional tick-time.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

EpicMadness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 12:09:27 pm »

so basically dwarves path through doors and hatches like they don't exist?
different settings doesn't change this does it? besides forbidden of course.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 12:50:28 pm »

You can check this yourself. Set up a test embark with a hallway and a door give a single dig designation on the other side, then count the "." ticks for each move of the dwarf through the hall and through the door and continuing through the hall.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

EpicMadness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 10:29:33 pm »

wait, i just remembered that doors doesn't guarantee it won't leak water when accessed.
so technically it does have a close-delay, but its proportional to how long a dwarf takes to move through the door.

edit: to clarify, the close-delay is creature-dependent.
e.g. if a creature takes 2ticks to move one tile then the door's close-delay is 2ticks long.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 01:03:34 am by EpicMadness »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 11:25:26 am »

If the door is in an east-west corridor, when the dwarf moves to the tile west of the door, the door is opened, then 9 ticks later the dwarf moves into the door's tile, then 9 ticks later the dwarf moves into the tile east of the door, then 9 ticks later, the dwarf moves 2 tiles to the east and the door closes. So, that particular dwarf caused the door to close 27 ticks after the door was opened.

EpicMadness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 12:45:34 pm »

If the door is in an east-west corridor, when the dwarf moves to the tile west of the door, the door is opened, then 9 ticks later the dwarf moves into the door's tile, then 9 ticks later the dwarf moves into the tile east of the door, then 9 ticks later, the dwarf moves 2 tiles to the east and the door closes. So, that particular dwarf caused the door to close 27 ticks after the door was opened.
yeah thats what i was thinking about, it mostly depends on the speed of the creature too.
but i didn't expect it to take 3tiles worth of ticks for the door to close.

and on that note, the fastest possible speed for a creature is 100gait (100ticks per 100tiles), which means a door would take 3ticks to close with a creature with 100gait.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 12:55:24 pm by EpicMadness »