Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fallen leaves discolor ground tiles - Any way to disable this?  (Read 845 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

As the title says, I was wondering if you can somehow stop trees from dropping leaves that change the color of floor tiles around them.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Fallen leaves discolor ground tiles - Any way to disable this?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 07:19:12 am »

You can edit the trees so that their growths never fall off.  But what's the problem with discolored floor tiles anyway?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 02:15:38 pm »

You can edit the trees so that their growths never fall off.  But what's the problem with discolored floor tiles anyway?
Do you mean with GROWTH_DROPS_OFF_NO_CLOUD?

It just doesnt look very nice with a graphical tileset. It's fine for ASCII, but it makes no sense to just color grass differently. If it would actually change the tiles sprite, showing "fallen leaves" or the fruits, I'd like it.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 11:28:08 am »

Maybe if your grass colour was near 100% green, with grass tiles using red an blue to denote fruits, so that they show up when tile becomes discoloured? Would also show blood though...

Alternatively, maybe one could change the growth colour to be green 1 step before they drop off, and then have them immediatelly drop off, resulting them in still being gatherable from forest floor but not changing grass colour?

Alternatively alternatively, have them never drop off as IndigoFenix said.

Alternatively^3, they're contaminants once down on the ground, so all cleaning methods for those apply.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 11:30:13 am by Fleeting Frames »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 03:23:14 pm »

Neither of those work. First one allows for a single fruit sprite, and only for one grass type. There are dozens of grasses and about a hundred fruits / growths.

Next one would only work on green grass. Dry or dead grass, nor any flowers or special - biome specific grasses would work.

Last two options remove food sources and therefore change game balance. :-/

Silly tree growths ^^

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 11:41:31 pm »

Ah, didn't think about coloured grasses. Well, they only remove food sources while on trees if the player never builds stepladders or stairs to trees. Not ideal (you'd still get some fruits without zones if you collected a plant from tile with fallen fruit on it - frankly, I'd be more worried about them giving more fruit as a result of not dropping), but that's least bad solution, I think?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 11:43:11 pm by Fleeting Frames »