Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Silverblades (5/5, waitlist open)  (Read 14776 times)

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
Silverblades (5/5, waitlist open)
« on: July 16, 2018, 10:58:13 pm »

In a time before time, when creatures that existed beyond the scope of the human imagination skulked these lands, our world was far different from what it is now. Primordial beings that once existed beyond the plane of reality entered our world, forming terrifying corporeal forms. They were not evil, nor were they malicious, but they did not belong. In a great war, the four ancient gods, their names lost in the sands of time, clashed with these beings and were defeated miserably. The gods and their shattered legions retreated, and sought assistance.

The First Hunter, who stalked the world for worthy prey, answered their call, and staved off the Beasts single-handedly, sealing them away with the resonating power that lies deep within this land. The gods, rather than rewarding him, feared his power and sealed him away in the frigid wastes of the North. Eons passed, the old gods were replaced with new ones, and the power of the land decayed, as is the nature of all things. The seal of the Beasts began to crumble, and the First Hunter pledged himself to the new gods, forsaking his pride, so that he could restore the power of the seal holding the Beasts. There is far more to that story, but that is not story I seek to tell.

Perhaps he First Hunter's power faded away as time bore on, or perhaps he died in his final mission. Whatever the case, he was heard from no more, and his name was forgotten. His story, however, was not. He had trained disciples, apprentices, and told his story to those who would spread his message and hunt down the descendants of the Beasts.

One day, a malignant and power hungry thaumaturge traveled to the very core of the world, and tore a rift between our world and the abyssal prison of the Beasts, thinking he could control them. This proved to be his final folly. The Beasts were free, and only after the world was nearly torn apart was the rift sealed and most of the remaining Beasts sealed away or slain. However, they had left their mark on the world, for their spawn still roamed free and those who they granted a fragment of their power still worshiped them, seeking to release them once again.

But those few who remembered the tale of the First Hunter would not let that happen. We are Silverblades, those who keep the tale of the First Hunter alive, and those who fight so that his efforts were not in vain.

This is my last RTD. I'll make sure that it's a great one, too.

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Rolling is standard RTD format.
1 - Serious failure
2 - Failure or minimal success
3 - Partial success
4 - Success
5 - Critical success
6 - Overshot

Health is chunky salsa.

Spoiler: How magic works (click to show/hide)

Current Players
Spoiler: 'Zork' (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Jericho Oakskin (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Azet Azirkan (click to show/hide)

Waitlist
Glass
randomgenericusername
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 05:55:19 pm by Rethi-Eli »
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
Re: Silverblades (1/5)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 11:12:41 pm »

Spoiler: Azet Azirkan (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 11:14:29 pm by Mallos »
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
Re: Silverblades (1/5)
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 11:28:33 pm »

Avanti!

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
Re: Silverblades (2/5)
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 01:01:05 am »

Spoiler: Jericho Oakskin (click to show/hide)
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Silverblades (3/5)
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 10:11:00 am »

Spoiler: 'Zork' (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 10:21:57 am by Legendary Marksdorf »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Silverblades (3/5)
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 12:56:18 pm »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Silverblades (4/5)
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 02:43:18 pm »

Huh. Disappointed I didn't notice this yesterday; it sounds like it could be a second Undead Hunt-style game.

I'll make someone for the waitlist, I guess.
Spoiler: Sindar Redwing (click to show/hide)
Unless you could extend the starting group to 6? :P
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 02:47:32 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Silverblades
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 02:53:02 pm »

You and the other initiates stand in a large but sparsely filled stone room with a vaunted roof. A trio of armored officers, with slim rapiers hanging at their sides in ornate sheaths. The one in the center, a middle-aged man with a jagged diagonal scar running across his face, steps forward, addressing all of you.

"I don't know why you've come here. Perhaps you seek glory and fame, perhaps you seek fortune, or perhaps you just want to have an adventure.

If this is what you expect, I will tell you this once, and only once - there is little chance of you becoming famous in our service. There is no extravagant pay to be had, nor treasures to be discovered. This will not be a carefree adventure. This will be a grueling task if you decide to stay with us. You have the option to leave at any time, but don't expect our aid ever again if you do. To be a Silverblade is to be a hunter of hunters, and those who leave the hunting party are vulnerable."

The officer paces back and forth in front of you, surveying the different faces.

"Now, are there any among you who would leave? If so, take your leave now. Nobody will stop you."

Nobody budges. The officer smiles.

"Good, very good. I look at each of your faces, and I see so much difference - many of you are from places I have only seen on hunts, places far more beautiful than here. All of you are different - some of you come from the frigid mountains to the east, others from the arboreal valleys far to the south. Some of you wear armor and wield finely crafted weapons, others among you wear whatever makeshift armor you could obtain. Whatever the case, I see one thing that is common among all of you, and that is potential. But enough of this.

Our order is a dying one, and our legacy has been by most forgotten. The ancestors of my ancestors sealed away the Beasts hundreds of years ago, but their spawn and their cults still walk this Earth, murdering and corrupting in the name of their otherworldly masters. The petty barons that rule these plains are more concerned about disputing with each other and managing their fiefdoms than focusing on the encroaching threat.

It is with this in mind that I am going to dispatch you on your first missions. These will not be dangerous, they will be more a test of mettle than a life or death situation. I'll divide you all into groups - once you have a group, get to know them well. Chances are, your life and the lives of others will depend on your team at least once."

The officer points at the five of you individually.

"Hmmm... you, you, you, and the two of you. Officer Pharrin will instruct you on your mission's details. He's the one on the right, wearing the mask. Good luck."

Some time later...

Your wagon clatters to a stop in a small mining town called Autumnrest. The sun is setting behind a small mountain range in the distance, and only a handful of townsfolk are wandering the street. Pharrin told you he suspected that a cult dedicated to a minor nameless Beast of disease had a hideout somewhere here, and was slowly brainwashing and indoctrinating the townsfolk, seeking to gather enough power to release the creature. It's your first mission to find and eliminate the cult before they gather enough followers to manifest the Beast a corporeal form.

"Be careful," he said, warning you, "we suspect that many of the cultists reside in the town. Many of the "normal" citizens by day are most likely involved with, if not outright in the inner circle of the cult. If you pry too much and make yourselves known, they'll have the jump on you. However, we do have a plant in the town - the tavernkeep is one of ours, we know this. While he hasn't been able to report back to us, he should know the identity of at least a few of the cultists. Best of luck."

A building with a crudely painted image of a ram on it sits to your left, with a sign that says "The Inebriated Sheep". You can only assume this is the town's tavern. To your right is a sizeable abandoned building, resembling the description Pharrin gave about potential hideouts quite a bit. (4+1) Alexander's keen eyes are able to pick out a motionless robed figure watching you from the window of a two-story building, most likely a house of sorts.

Spoiler: To Glass (click to show/hide)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Silverblades
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 02:57:21 pm »

[To Glass]I'll have to waitlist you for this mission, but I'm going to up the difficulty of the next mission, and I can definitely probably hopefully squeeze you in there. Now, your glove seems like it could be a bit powerful (considering there's no penalty for using it in conjunction with an attack) so I'm going to treat using it as if it was dual wielding - you'll trade increased offensive capability for increased vulnerability.
Thanks, and fair enough.
I will say this about the glove: if I used one spell one time, I have to use the other spell the next time, even if I didn't fizzle or if it would be disadvantageous to use the other spell. I'm pretty sure that counts as a drawback :p . And while I didn't say it outright, I'd kinda been thinking that the magic would be weaker when imbued into a strike than when done in other ways; it's better than an unaltered strike (usually), but weaker than the normal spell, and likely puts stress on the weapon, plus, it must be a melee strike, so there's higher risk of a counterattack or it being dodged/parried.
But yeah, again, thanks.

EDIT: We could have my guy doing blacksmithing and enchanting work at HQ in the meantime. It would fit the character.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 03:05:32 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Silverblades (5/5, waitlist open)
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 03:01:57 pm »

Whispering, Alexander speaks to the others.
"Perhaps we should head in to warm our body and spirit, brothers."

Avanti!

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Silverblades
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 03:14:14 pm »

-snip-
I mean, the alternating spells is a drawback, but it's less of a "I'm trading something in for this power" than a "It's slightly less powerful", unless you're fighting an enemy that heals from fire or frost, in which case you can just not use the glove. This was my line of reasoning, and with your dodging ability, the dual wielding penalty is mitigated, so I thought it wouldn't be too much of a penalty. If you have any other ideas, feel free to let me know. As far as the blacksmithing thing, that's fine by me.

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 04:02:06 pm »

Whispering, Alexander speaks to the others.
"Perhaps we should head in to warm our body and spirit, brothers."
"Indeed."
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 04:16:39 pm »

Jericho responds in a low voice.
"I suggest we split up, and enter the tavern at different times... If a group of five decently armed individuals all show up at once, the townspeople would already naturally be suspicious, especially if they are indoctrinated into the cult."
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 04:27:59 pm »

"Very well. I will walk about the town, and scout. What of you?"
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 04:32:42 pm by Doubloon-Seven »

Avanti!

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 05:09:40 pm »

"I think I'll go in first. I'd like to inform the tavernkeep of our presence and to confirm his continued loyalty to our organization. Any disagreements?"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9