Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Silverblades (5/5, waitlist open)  (Read 14947 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Silverblades (5/5, waitlist open)
« Reply #105 on: August 12, 2018, 08:17:19 am »

[Given that it's been explained that I'll be involved for this next mission, is there anything for me to be doing right now?]
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2018, 12:05:37 pm »

((Oh, am I going to be involved too or just Glass?))
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2018, 02:48:11 pm »

"Very well. I shall find some supplies."
Alexander attempts to find a supply depot.

Avanti!

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2018, 04:59:45 am »

[Given that it's been explained that I'll be involved for this next mission, is there anything for me to be doing right now?]
Not just yet.
((Oh, am I going to be involved too or just Glass?))
I'm going to gradually up the player count to eight as the missions increase in difficulty. You'll be in either come the next player cap increase, or when someone dies - whichever happens sooner.
"I'm gonna go and look at the armory, I need something with some silver on it."
Go to the armory and look for some kind of silver knife, and some armor to cover my torso.
"Armory, eh ?" Zork says, looking at the broken piece of wood he's holding. "Maybe they'll have something to replace my old club. Poor thing, you were gone too soon..."

Head to the armory and look for a new weapon.
"I will go investigate the armory. My present lack of armor is worrisome."

Jericho heads off to the armory.
You head over towards the armory, walking down the grey stone corridor. You stop when you come to a large set of wood double doors with ornate brass hinges. This is, from what you've been told, the entrance to the armory. You walk inside, and see a rather large room lined with various weapon racks. Doors sit on every wall, and the room seems to turn to the left and continue. A few recruits are looking at the available weapons hanging on the wall, which seem to have everything from falchions to glaives to composite bows. A tall red-haired man wearing plain clothes and chain mail gauntlets steps forward as you enter, greeting you with a large grin and an amicable wave.

"Greetings! You must be the new recruits Officer Aloren was telling me about - you're under Pharrin's charge, correct? Welcome to our armory, Silverblades! I'm Lyco, and I'll be seeing to it that you get fitted with the finest equipment we have to offer! I'll be with you as fast as I can."

The man walks over to Robert first, and after hearing what he's looking for, grins.

"A silver knife, eh? We have quite a few silver long knives, just the thing for hacking Beasts to pieces! As for armor, I'm not sure that we have anything in your size, but I'll do my best to check. If we don't, I'll get one of our armorers on the job. Excuse me for a bit."

Lyco walks into one of the armory's side rooms, and returns with a wickedly sharp single-edged knife, with a blade nearly as weighty looking as an axehead. The point is also deadly sharp, to allow for both slashing and stabbing, a commodity that most larger weapons lack. Lyco grins as he lightly pricks his finger with his tip, before grimacing and hiding his now bleeding finger behind his back. He hands you the knife, and you find it quite well balanced, although a bit heavy. It'll be slower than, say, a dagger, but every strike will have weight behind it.

"Is this to your liking? If not, I'd be more than willing to find something that you're more comfortable with. Our armory is vast, and certainly there's something we have that will work if this doesn't."

Lyco turns to Zork, and reaches up to try and give Zork a reassuring pat on the shoulder when he sees the splintered club. Unfortunately, he can't quite reach, and the whole ordeal turns out quite awkward. Lyco squints at the club for a second more before his expression suddenly brightens. He raises a hand as if making a great proclamation.

"Aha! I think we have just the thing for you, friend!"

Saying this, he rushes into the back. You all wait a minute, and he doesn't return. Suddenly, the door creaks open, and you see Lyco lugging a massive spiked morningstar with him. He staggers over to Zork, and drops it down, panting.

"I... uh... this..."

Lyco pauses for a second to regain his composure, and you inspect the morningstar. It's certainly smaller than the club was, perhaps only half as large. However, the vast majority of its weight is concentrated in the morningstar's head, which is covered in nasty looking spikes, each embedded in a socket rather than part of the actual head of the morningstar. Lyco pants for a second more before standing up straight and picking up the morningstar again.

"This morningstar doesn't have the reach of your old club, it seems, but it certainly has more weight behind it - it's far more dense, meaning that it'll pack more of a punch. Plus, the silver spikes are small enough to not break when you're dealing with armored foes, but they'll still do a number on Beasts and unarmored foes alike. They might bend out of shape, as is a small problem with silver, but we can hammer them back to normal without a problem. It should weigh just a little bit more than your club, but if you want something a little less different, let me know - we do have a few great clubs that more closely resemble your old weapon, although I can't say that we have too many."

Lyco turns to Jericho, and smiles pleasantly.

"That's a fine axe you have there! Emberlog is certainly rare this far from the forests to the South... so I can assume that you're not looking for a new weapon. No, no, judging by the state of your current apparel, I'd assume you're in search of armor. In that case, you may want to follow me!"

You tag along as Lyco leads you into a small room, lit by a few sconces. All sorts of armor line the walls, from simple tanned leather jerkins to heavy sets of plate armor. Lyco pulls three sets of armor down from the shelves and presents them to you. One is a leather hauberk, with reinforced joints and protective mail layered under the torso section. It's certainly light as far as armor goes, and should be both flexible and silent, although it won't do much good against more powerful strikes. The next is just full heavy chainmail, complete with a coif. It looks more protective, although it protects from slashing attacks far more than it does piercing and blunt force. The last is a steel breastplate with mail fittings. It's by far the most protective, although it leaves your head and hands vulnerable, and still weighs just as much as the chainmail.

"We don't have much armor available at the moment, but these should all fit you. If you're not a fan of any of the options, I can certainly have one of our armorers make something more to your liking, although it won't be as elaborate."

"Hmph. Apotheosis, eh?"

Knowing now about the Champion's Crown, head to the training grounds. Azirkan is proud, but he suspects he ought to be stronger and faster in preparation for the future...

You head over to the training grounds, and find a large open field, bordered by the main facility behind you, a barracks access point to your left, and walls both in front of you and to your right. A few wooden training weapons are scattered about, and a few Silverblades are either sparring or doing various training regimens. You can see equipment ranging from simple balance beams to artificial rocky outcroppings meant to emulate a cliff face. You glance around for a bit more before a figure, in the uniform of an officer, steps up to you.

"Ah, you must be one of the new recruits, yes? It is good to see new faces, friend. I am Officer Auria, I help lead most of the training around here. If you're just looking to practice on your own, feel free to pick up one of our wooden weapons and practice. If you want to practice with one of our trainers, simply join their group and follow their instructions."

Auria eyes your scimitars, and points over to a man in a grey longcoat. It seems that he's delivering a lecture to a small group of recruits.

"Over there is Vincentius, one of our best swordsmen. He's one of our best when it comes to skill with blades, and I'm sure you could learn a thing or two from him, even if you already know your way around a sword. He's almost concluded one of his lectures, and should start with technique training any minute now."

Auria then turns her focus over to another trainer, this one reading from a small book in his left hand and clasping a small pouch in his right.

"That's Atrimian, one of our alchemists, although he's overall skilled when it comes to incantations and other skills in such a vein. Although I'm not a spellcaster, nor do I ever intend to be, I've still learned plenty from him, and I do believe that even the most steadfast martial purists could refine their craft with his assistance and tutelage."

She peers around for a second more before returning her gaze to you.

"Unfortunately, it seems that our other trainers are currently occupied, but if you check back later, I'm sure you can find other instructors in the case that you'd like to learn or refine some other skill. Good luck."

Auria shakes your hand before returning to training, leaving you to choose what you'd like to do.

"Very well. I shall find some supplies."
Alexander attempts to find a supply depot.

You head over to the barracks, which is adjacent to the storerooms. You come to a large but low-ceilinged room with a few ornate windows, which has quite a few doors. An old man sitting behind a desk puts down a small manuscript as you walk in.

"Hmm... is there something you're looking for?"
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2018, 07:14:08 am »

Jericho nods slowly, pondering his options. He then turns to Lyco with a hopeful expression, and a somewhat goofy grin.

"May I take both the full chainmail and the steel breastplate? I'm really not going for maneuverability or deftness- rather, I'm the big heavy one in the group who just charges into combat and hits things with an axe. Honestly, the heavier I am the better- I'm sure I'll be a lot harder to displace.

That is, unless the aforementioned shortage of armor would imply that I can only take one of the three sets. Even so, I'd like to try both on even for a short while, to get a feel for how much of a burden it would be to wear.
"
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2018, 11:36:45 am »

Attend alchemist's training course.
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2018, 01:01:18 pm »

"I'll take the knife, also do I need to stay around for the armor?"
Take the knife and wait around for a bit.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2018, 09:50:25 pm »

As the group moved into the armory, Zork's eyes began to shimmer with excitement. Everywhere around him were fantastic weapons which reminded him of the stories he had spent countless hours reading as a young troll. Even though a warior's greatest weapon was his courage, a 3-feet long blade or a hammer twice the size of his head could help.  Zork felt like a child in a toystore as he looked around, brimming with excitement. All kinds of armaments were stored here. Big or small, sharp or blunt, stone or metal... It was like a dream come true.

And it only got better as Lyco brought him the morningstar. Just looking at it was enough to make Zork forget about his old club. He tossed away what was left of it dismissively while staring intently at the morningstar and slowly moved his hands towards his new weapon. He then grasped it firmly at once. The feeling of cold, smooth metal against his hands was exhilarating. Zork swung the morningstar around a few times to try it out. It was perfect. It felt swift as a snow bunny, yet heavy enough to smash through a mountain with just one blow. With this, Zork would be unstoppable. No one would be able to stand in his way, man or beast. The tales of his adventures would be counted for millenia, inspiring children across generations. Zork let out a quiet "Wow..." as if he had just fell in love for the first time. He then raised his head back up and turned to Lyco. He smiled widely, and put his huge hand on the man's tiny shoulder as a sign of gratitude. "Thanks little man, this weapon is perfect ! I owe you one." he said, thankful.

He then turned around, and began heading out of the armory. "Welp, guess I better go try it out some more, eh ? I'll see you guys later." he declared.

Head to the training grounds and train with the morningstar (on training dummies, obviously).

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2018, 08:06:23 pm »

"Aye. I'm seeking a lantern for nightly excursions."

Avanti!

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2018, 03:56:22 am »

Jericho nods slowly, pondering his options. He then turns to Lyco with a hopeful expression, and a somewhat goofy grin.

"May I take both the full chainmail and the steel breastplate? I'm really not going for maneuverability or deftness- rather, I'm the big heavy one in the group who just charges into combat and hits things with an axe. Honestly, the heavier I am the better- I'm sure I'll be a lot harder to displace.

That is, unless the aforementioned shortage of armor would imply that I can only take one of the three sets. Even so, I'd like to try both on even for a short while, to get a feel for how much of a burden it would be to wear.
"

Lyco nods.

"You may certainly take both, although it will most definitely be extremely cumbersome. Of course, you will be protected from anything that isn't a serious weapon. But yes, it's probably a better idea to try wearing both at once instead of listening to me ramble."

You don the chainmail before strapping on the breastplate, and take a few tentative steps around. It's extremely heavy. While you're protected to an extreme extent, your center of balance is off and you feel as if you could easily be knocked over... and with this much weight, getting back up could be more of an ordeal than ever before. Not to mention, your mobility is very hampered. With the support of your team, though, you could certainly overcome these challenges, and have unmatched protection to boot.

Attend alchemist's training course.

Atrimian stands, looking at the small group that's formed around him.

"Hmm..., yes, yes, this should do. I suppose I'll begin the main lecture now.

Welcome, Silverblades. I am Atrimian Quintustatur, an alchemist. I have seen and slain my fair share of Beasts, and I hope to assist you in your endeavors to do the same. Perhaps, one day, you may find yourself in the field without silver weapons. Perhaps you'd prefer to be alive, and would like to have a chance of defending yourself. If you find yourself in such a position, then hopefully you'll remember what I'm about to teach you, for this should at least somewhat alleviate your problems.

Observe."

Atrimian holds up a small glass flask, filled halfway with brown liquid.

"This is nothing more than bit of liquor, with a twist of lime. If you don't have this, you're severely missing out."

In the other hand, Atrimian holds up a golden coin.

"This is a 'gold' crown, nothing special about it. More or less the standard for miles and miles around. If you don't have this, well, that's probably why you joined up in the first place."

Atrimian, with great precision, strikes the coin a few times with the pommel of his athame, splitting the gold casing around it and revealing a reflective, silver inside.

"Most gold crowns made in the past two decades aren't gold, but rather consist of a gold shell around a silver inside. It's rather easy to split them open, provided you hit the casing on the seam. Once that's done, you can take the coin and drop it in the liquor."

Atrimian does this, and shakes up the bottle a bit. Nothing happens.

The whole process should take about 2 to 3 days if you've done it like this, but there are ways to speed it up drastically. First of all, if you have a better acid, it'll go much faster, so if you can get your hands on some phosphors or sulphur, that can speed things up thirtyfold. The juice of a citron or vinegar should work as well should you find yourself without alchemical ingredients. Heating the solution over fire or using powdered silver both also speed things up significantly - powdered silver is sold at the storeroom for just five crowns for a pouch. Anyhow, once you've done this, the rest is easy - apply the solution to your weapon of choice for a quick and effective tool to use against Beasts.

Atrimian concludes this part of his lecture and moves on to another topic, and you see a few Silverblades leave to attend the other lecture or start training.

As the group moved into the armory, Zork's eyes began to shimmer with excitement. Everywhere around him were fantastic weapons which reminded him of the stories he had spent countless hours reading as a young troll. Even though a warior's greatest weapon was his courage, a 3-feet long blade or a hammer twice the size of his head could help.  Zork felt like a child in a toystore as he looked around, brimming with excitement. All kinds of armaments were stored here. Big or small, sharp or blunt, stone or metal... It was like a dream come true.

And it only got better as Lyco brought him the morningstar. Just looking at it was enough to make Zork forget about his old club. He tossed away what was left of it dismissively while staring intently at the morningstar and slowly moved his hands towards his new weapon. He then grasped it firmly at once. The feeling of cold, smooth metal against his hands was exhilarating. Zork swung the morningstar around a few times to try it out. It was perfect. It felt swift as a snow bunny, yet heavy enough to smash through a mountain with just one blow. With this, Zork would be unstoppable. No one would be able to stand in his way, man or beast. The tales of his adventures would be counted for millenia, inspiring children across generations. Zork let out a quiet "Wow..." as if he had just fell in love for the first time. He then raised his head back up and turned to Lyco. He smiled widely, and put his huge hand on the man's tiny shoulder as a sign of gratitude. "Thanks little man, this weapon is perfect ! I owe you one." he said, thankful.

He then turned around, and began heading out of the armory. "Welp, guess I better go try it out some more, eh ? I'll see you guys later." he declared.

Head to the training grounds and train with the morningstar (on training dummies, obviously).

You head to the training grounds, and in a fit of morningstar induced glee, charge the nearest training dummy. It isn't until you've beaten it into a pile of straw that you hear someone shouting...

"HEY! USE THE WOODEN WEAPONS, USE THE WOODEN WEAPONS ON THE DUMMIES!"
(4)
You apologize, and spend a while swinging your new weapon at... nothing in particular, really. You do become acquainted with how its weight is distributed, though.

You are now familiar with your new weapon!

"Aye. I'm seeking a lantern for nightly excursions."

"A lantern, eh? Yes, yes, we've got plenty of those, follow me."

The old man stands up and leads you into a room filled with miscellaneous supplies, ranging from bags of nails to bundles of hemp cord. He walks around a bit, rummaging through the ill-organized stockpile, before tossing aside a small wicker basket and pulling out a lantern from under it. The lantern itself is cast iron with retractable glass panes, and the candle inside has a full wick. The old man inspects it, pulls off a spot of rust, and places it in your hands without another word.

It looks like you have a lantern!

"I'll take the knife, also do I need to stay around for the armor?"
Take the knife and wait around for a bit.

You head to a small lounge, sit in a chair, and relax. Your mind rests at ease, and you brace yourself mentally for the tribulations to come.

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2018, 07:29:26 am »

Head back to the main room and wait for the others' return.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2018, 08:27:37 am »

Jericho thinks for a few good seconds, before nodding slowly.

"I can certainly see this working. I just need to work on increasing my strength so it's more practical in combat, so I'll be on my way to the training grounds."

Jericho does just that, taking both pieces of armor and heading to the training grounds. There, he begins typical strength-based workouts. He tries to perform his exercise while wearing at least the chainmail, so that he may get used to the weight of wearing at least some armor.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 19, 2018, 09:24:29 am »

Go to the market and see how much I could get for the empty parchment scroll I found earlier.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 19, 2018, 10:11:06 am »

"Intriguing."

Head for the storeroom with powdered silver in mind.
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2018, 10:59:18 pm »

I'll wait another day for Marksdorf.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9