Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I thought AWOL raid parties was fixed?  (Read 2680 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I thought AWOL raid parties was fixed?
« on: July 17, 2018, 11:24:58 am »

I resumed my 0.44.05 fortress (started earlier on 0.44.0X) with the shiny new 0.44.12_r01 LNP and decided to finally start trying out raids. I send my A team to raid a 50 gobbo (2500 troll/blizzard man) dark tower half a day away, and heard nothing for two months. I then reverted back to a save just before that and sent them to a 60 pop dark pit instead (about the same distance), and they haven't returned in 3 months (it took some two weeks for the last one to leave the map, but I verified they left and saw the pop count decrease correspondingly, as well as all members being marked as traveling).
Exported legends does not show anyone raiding the dark pit, nor does info of the squad members show anything after their last masterwork.
The raids were made with default parameters, i.e. raid (not pillage, conquer, etc.) and grab stuff of all types (free own civ captives, other prisoners, grab treasures, loot other stuff, steal livestock) as per default.

Are there still issues with raiding goblins? There's one ogre at the second site according to Legends, so could that screw up livestock raiding, for instance?

I can revert to before the raiding again, but would prefer to at least have some idea of how to perform raids that actually result in some feedback before doing so.

Tryble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I thought AWOL raid parties was fixed?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 01:25:48 pm »

If this is reproducible, open a bug report and provide the save.  Reproducible bugs are fixed bugs!

All I can really add is that it's not a global issue with raiding goblins; I've been harassing goblin sites a half day away constantly without issue thus far.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 03:15:56 pm »

Unfortunately I can't provide a save, as it's bloated way over the DFFD limit. Also, "Reproducible bugs are fixed bugs!" is definitely wrong. They're FIXABLE, but it's still subject to Toady's prioritization.

Anyway it's (sort of) good to get confirmation that raids should be fixed generally. I guess I'll have to retry it until I succeed or tire of trying. I might start with a different squad...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 04:14:21 pm »

Maybe something went wrong with the fix so it's not backwards compatible with your save for some reason? Some area of corruptinon surrounding your fortress? Like most others, I've got no problems with raids right now.

You sure they weren't captured?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 03:35:11 am »

Maybe something went wrong with the fix so it's not backwards compatible with your save for some reason? Some area of corruptinon surrounding your fortress? Like most others, I've got no problems with raids right now.

You sure they weren't captured?
The reason I stopped playing was a nemesis id crash, which was fixed in 0.44.10, and then I waited for an LNP for a playable version, so yes, there was at least one source of corruption. I've never sent out any raids before from this fortress, though so it can't be anything raid related.

How would I know if they were captured? Exported Legends info didn't report them getting there, anyway, nor them being captured.
10 legendary fighters raiding a 60 gobbo dark pit ought to firstly win any fight if the sneaking failed, and secondly let at least some of them get away.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 03:48:01 am »

They disappear from the military screen positions page as I recall. But sometimes not the equipment page. That whole military page is kind of spooky the way long dead dorfs occasionally linger on...

Well, I'll keep raiding until something goes wrong then let you know. I'd hesitate to blame external utils (do you use any when playing?), but it was only recently that one benevolent dfhack function turned out to be causing never-ending sieges, so you never know.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 03:51:52 am by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 04:19:42 am »

In both raid attempts the militia members were reported as traveling on the militia screen, so if they disappear from there when captured they weren't.

I use the "normal" set of DFHack tools (i.e. what LNP enables with performance tweaks), but not much in the way of modifications beyond that (I've got a number of scripts for looking at things). I'm well aware of the issues the incorrect understanding of the flag now renamed to 'inactive' caused.

Edit: 2 additional raid attempts using a different squad against first the second gobbo site and then a necro tower twice as far away (a whole day), both resulted in no reports or any other indications after 2 months. Thus, I consider that world bugged and will have to create a new one.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 11:50:35 am by PatrikLundell »

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 10:42:56 pm »

Make sure that ALL of the raiding dwarves, from every squad on the mission, show up as travelling. If even one dwarf gets delayed and spends a month hauling rocks around the raid won't complete until that dwarf reaches the others. Quickest way to check is to go to the equipment screen. Dwarves that are travelling don't show up on that screen, while slowpokes still bumming around your fort are still visible. If some is lagging behind, taking them out of the squad will let the rest of your militia complete their mission.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 03:09:29 am »

My original post mentioned that all squad members were marked as traveling (including that it took some time for the last one to leave).
I've also followed all other attempts both to see that they're leaving, and that the Units count is decreased by 10 once they've all left. The issue is not leaving, but probably arriving.

Probe1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 03:56:15 am »

I found a posted solution to this just the other day.  Hopefully it helps for you.  It definitely fixed most of my traveling bugs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/8lsmlt/potential_fix_for_the_traveling_forever_bug_found/?st=jjtr18r3&sh=e72b8179

Raids are one of my favorite features in the game since it lets you cause trouble without waiting a billion years (which is increasingly untenable as the framerate drops) or breaching HFS (I only want some of my dwarves to die, not all of them!). But they're buggy, and one of the bugs I still get is "traveling forever", where squads never leave the "traveling" status.

I think I found a solution: First, let all your other raids return so you know who's stuck (most raids take a few days at most). Once only your "stuck" party(ies) are left, go to the military menu and replace the whole squad, starting with the leader, with dwarves in your fort (it for some reason lets you do this despite them traveling, as long as the squad leader is replaced first).

Next, with the squad full of local dwarves, go to the civiliations then missions menu. The stuck mission should be there, but inactive. Delete it.

Wait a bit (I sent out another raid in case it helps trigger the check, probably unnecessary). Your dwarves should quietly return. Watch your population to confirm; traveling dwarves aren't listed under Units. If you get (squad size) more dwarves after this fix than before it, it worked!

Now you'll have to reassign your original units to the squad.

If you have DFHack, you can try running fix/retrieve-units as well. Sometimes this returns units "from the abyss", sometimes not.

If you test this please let me know if it worked for you!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 05:48:16 am »

@Probe1:

Thanks, that actually works to get the buggers to return (only tried 1, but that one worked 100%). Since none of my attempts at raids actually managed to get there, I'll make a new world anyway, but it's definitely something I'll try when some fail to return while most raids actually work. Definitely a handy tool for the tool box.

carewolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 06:46:10 am »

I send a mission to a fort 2 days travel away. I had assumed them dead and starting training replacements, when they returned a little over 2+ months later, and reported nothing special had happened and they had found nothing......