Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Intelligent Wilderness Creature armor.  (Read 3120 times)

Top Hat Zebra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Intelligent Wilderness Creature armor.
« on: July 17, 2018, 08:25:27 pm »

Im sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

Im rather new to DF and Im trying to play adventure mode as a serpent man,  but I would really like to wear armor, so I've been trying to figure out how to allow that.

I've been looking at Adventurecraft, which seems to allow you to forge your own armor and equipment in adventure mode, which sounds great, but my problem is that I am already using Dwarf Fortress Revised and Sver's combat overhaul, and just looking at the extensive list of files that Adventurecraft changes, I don't think the mods are compatible.

So Im looking for a smaller scale mod that would allow just crafting and forging for adventure mode without all the extra changes from Adventurecraft, or suggestions on other ways I could solve the issue of getting properly-fitted armor. I would prefer not to start an entire fort just to build armor for my adventure mode character, as that feels like a lot of work and less... Organic to the RP?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Intelligent Wilderness Creature armor.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 09:20:58 pm »

I heard something about the next update alleviating this somehow. Wait a month or two.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

shikushiku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 09:41:03 pm »

I don't play with much modding so I'm not 100% sure it'd work with those but you can try the DFHack script AdvFort. You'll need to find a pickaxe so you can mine construction materials and ore and an anvil so you can make a forge, then build a forge, smelter, and wood furnace (using the 'Build' job in the AdvFort menu), make some charcoal (pressing Tab while standing in the building to do jobs with it), smelt the ores, and forge your stuff. If you find bars of metal or fuel, or boulders/blocks of fire-safe stone somewhere, you can skip some of those steps obviously.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 10:08:49 pm »

If you want to do this in vanilla, create serpent-person armour at a fortress in fortress mode. Then travel to the fortress as your serpent person and pick up the goodies.

Looks like equipment points will be added to 44.13 Adventurer character creation. You should be able to pick up whatever you like then (presumably the points available can be modded if it's not enough).

Top Hat Zebra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 11:36:14 pm »

Oh, that sounds great. I was under the impression it was an intended feature.

I'll try to give that AdvFort thing a go soon. For now, I've just edited the raw to make Addermen human-sized. (I hope, unless I've messed it up.) Honestly that's how I was imagining them anyway, I was surprised to learn that they were apparently smaller than dwarves.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 11:47:00 pm »

Oh, that sounds great. I was under the impression it was an intended feature.

I'll try to give that AdvFort thing a go soon. For now, I've just edited the raw to make Addermen human-sized. (I hope, unless I've messed it up.) Honestly that's how I was imagining them anyway, I was surprised to learn that they were apparently smaller than dwarves.
Most animal-people are smaller than humans. They're exactly in-between the size of their original animal and a human, so wolf-people are 55000 cm3, fox-people are 38000 cm3, etc. Humans are 70000 cm3. This is because DF uses conversion tags that calculate the size without having to copy over the raws. Show me what you did.

Top Hat Zebra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 12:20:33 am »

Hmm, interesting. Going in I just assumed "Animal-man" was going to be man-sized, but the way it's set up is logical at least.

All I did was go into creature_temperate_new and I added the body_size tokens from humans to the bottom of the Adderman entry, but I don't think it's working because dwarf-sized equipment is still too big for me.

I assumed it might not work because they didn't have their own body_size token so I guessed they must be getting it from somewhere else, but I thought it was worth a shot.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 01:25:37 am »

What you need to do is: Go into c_variation_default.txt. Replace
Code: [Select]
[CV_NEW_TAG:GRAVITATE_BODY_SIZE:70000] with 
Code: [Select]
[CV_NEW_TAG:BODY_SIZE:70000] in the first raw section. Don't do it in others. That'll make all animal-people human-sized.

Top Hat Zebra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 01:45:26 am »

Great, thank you! It'll probably be strange to have all the beastmen human-sized, but I think I can deal with it.

Another question, I can't seem to find much information about playing as animal folks, what would the snakes eat? So far, I've started three test characters. Two of them have started with whole small animals in their backpacks. Do snakes have to eat whole, small animals, or can I butcher and consume people large animals as well? Since I am, I assume, a natural carnivore, do I have to cook meat, or can I just eat it raw?

EDIT: Oh, in c_variation_default.txt, there is a section for animal people, but also a section for legless animal people. I think I saw that serpentmen were listed as legless animal people in the creature raws, so I should probably change that one too, right?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 01:51:48 am by Top Hat Zebra »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 02:22:54 am »

You can eat raw meat even as a human adventurer, and you have to butcher things before eating. And yes, you need to change legless animal-people too. DF has a lot of unfinished and absent features (logical for a game that's literally less than half-done).

Top Hat Zebra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 02:31:51 am »

Wonderful, thanks for all the help.

Now Im off to become a blood-drinking, vampiric snakeman hell-bent on conquering the entire planet, one dwarf at a time.

As soon as I figure out how to use both hands to hold a weapon.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 02:37:07 am »

As soon as I figure out how to use both hands to hold a weapon.
You don't. Your character automatically picks the most optimal way to use a weapon.

Top Hat Zebra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 02:43:30 am »

Oh no, my character's an idiot.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 02:47:58 am »

You aren't supposed to use a short sword with two hands. Or a long sword. Both are one-handed. Just forget about it.