Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: my personal take in a non medieval "tolkien like" world  (Read 2301 times)

☼FUN☼

• Bay Watcher
  • dabbling forum user
    • View Profile
my personal take in a non medieval "tolkien like" world
« on: July 17, 2018, 09:06:39 pm »

so I wanted to share my first attempt at world building... so what better place than the creative projects board?
So here goes nothing:

the dwarfs have formed an alliance with the humans and shared their scientific knoledge, the human's ambition together with the dwarf's mechanical knoledge and love for alcohol has lead to a revolutionary invention, The alcohol powered motor, a machine that was cappable to transform alcohol into mechanical motion! After some time has passed various new inventions containing the motor has popped up, beast-less chariots called "cars",sail-less ships called "mechanical ships", dwarf-less pickaxes called "mining drills", together with all sorts of wonders like: "automation" , "flying machines" and other motor-less inventions like: "gunpowder" and "fire arms". But without knowing it, the dwarfs and the humans were forgetting about the old ways of magic, and thus weakning and killing it, dwarf and human magic was no more, meanwhile the elfs' magic was as strong as never before, and by that sudden increase in magic, they were able to create a rittual that allowed them to turn wood into a steel-like substance called green steel, with it they were able to create strong weapons and armor.The goblins were no different, like the elves they also had an increase in magic anebling them to create and perform a rittual that transformed any kind of living creature into a powerful and vicious demon form of said creature. The magical re-ballance also affected the kobolds, they are now able to become completly invisible at will. All that increase in power has lead to war all over the world, the biggest one being the dwarf-human alliance VS elfs, dwarves and humans whit their technology and elves whit their new metal and magic.

so there it is, what do you think? Feel free to criticise and/or use it in what ever you want

(by the way, the name of the planet is tera)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 03:01:16 pm by ☼FUN☼ »
Have you seen the invisible kobold?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: my personal take in a non medieval "tolkien like" world
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 11:16:33 pm »

Okay. I will run through it with Grammarly, then correct some things by hand (your spelling isn't exactly the best). Then constructive criticism.

The dwarves have formed an alliance with the humans and shared their scientific knowledge, the humans' ambition together with the dwarves' mechanical knowledge and love for alcohol has led to a revolutionary invention, The alcohol powered motor, a machine that was able to transform alcohol into mechanical motion! After some time has passed various new inventions containing the motor has popped up, beast-less chariots called "cars", sail-less ships called "mechanical ships", dwarf-less pickaxes called "mining drills", together with all sorts of wonders like: "automation", "flying machines" and other motor-less inventions like: "gunpowder" and "firearms". But without knowing it, the dwarves and the humans were forgetting about the old ways of magic, and thus weakening and killing it, dwarf and human magic was no more, meanwhile the elves' magic was as strong as ever, and by that sudden increase in magic, they were able to create a ritual that allowed them to turn wood into a steel-like substance called green steel, with it they were able to create strong weapons and armor. The goblins were no different, like the elves they also had an increase in magic enabling them to create and perform a ritual that transformed any kind of living creature into a powerful and vicious demon form of said creature. The magical re-balance also affected the kobolds, they are now able to become completely invisible at will. All that increase in power has led to war all over the world, the biggest one being the dwarf-human alliance VS elves, dwarves, and humans with their technology and elves with their new metal and magic.

Hm. A rough description of a Magitek world on the edge of a world war. Interesting. The one problem with the rough description IMO is the bad spelling, grammar is OK, however. Maybe we'll write something together.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

☼FUN☼

• Bay Watcher
  • dabbling forum user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 12:55:56 am »

Okay. I will run through it with Grammarly, then correct some things by hand (your spelling isn't exactly the best). Then constructive criticism.

The dwarves have formed an alliance with the humans and shared their scientific knowledge, the humans' ambition together with the dwarves' mechanical knowledge and love for alcohol has led to a revolutionary invention, The alcohol powered motor, a machine that was able to transform alcohol into mechanical motion! After some time has passed various new inventions containing the motor has popped up, beast-less chariots called "cars", sail-less ships called "mechanical ships", dwarf-less pickaxes called "mining drills", together with all sorts of wonders like: "automation", "flying machines" and other motor-less inventions like: "gunpowder" and "firearms". But without knowing it, the dwarves and the humans were forgetting about the old ways of magic, and thus weakening and killing it, dwarf and human magic was no more, meanwhile the elves' magic was as strong as ever, and by that sudden increase in magic, they were able to create a ritual that allowed them to turn wood into a steel-like substance called green steel, with it they were able to create strong weapons and armor. The goblins were no different, like the elves they also had an increase in magic enabling them to create and perform a ritual that transformed any kind of living creature into a powerful and vicious demon form of said creature. The magical re-balance also affected the kobolds, they are now able to become completely invisible at will. All that increase in power has led to war all over the world, the biggest one being the dwarf-human alliance VS elves, dwarves, and humans with their technology and elves with their new metal and magic.

Hm. A rough description of a Magitek world on the edge of a world war. Interesting. The one problem with the rough description IMO is the bad spelling, grammar is OK, however. Maybe we'll write something together.
Oh thanks very much
sorry for the grammar, I think now its pretty obvious that English isn't my native language
and I am trying to aim for a less magitek world and more of a "tech vs magi" world
a clash of obiquituous vs non-magical
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 01:04:02 am by ☼FUN☼ »

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 03:04:17 pm »

You might want to take a look at Arcanum, one of the best RPGs I've ever played. It's a steamfantasy world, steampunk mixed with magic. The world kinda alternates back and forth between magic and technology and the game plays at a time where the magic era is ending and technology is on the rise. Magic and technology have negative effects on each other. The conflict between people clinging to magic and people using technology plays a really large part in the game's story. There are all the tolkienesque races like dwarves, halflings, orcs, elves, and so on.

There's also Bright (edit: it's a movie), which was mentioned in your other thread, but not with much detail.
It plays in our modern world, but it has fantasy races - orcs, elves, centaurs, and so on. There is a Sauron-like dark lord who used orcs to rule the world thousands of years ago until the other races formed an alliance to beat him. That's why orcs are still being looked down on and basically take the role of today's US ghetto population. Magic is being suppressed because of the dark lord, but it is about to come back with force.

Both are similar to your idea I think and can surely inspire and help you with your own world building.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 03:06:30 pm by Asgarus »

☼FUN☼

• Bay Watcher
  • dabbling forum user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 09:25:10 pm »

You might want to take a look at Arcanum, one of the best RPGs I've ever played. It's a steamfantasy world, steampunk mixed with magic. The world kinda alternates back and forth between magic and technology and the game plays at a time where the magic era is ending and technology is on the rise. Magic and technology have negative effects on each other. The conflict between people clinging to magic and people using technology plays a really large part in the game's story. There are all the tolkienesque races like dwarves, halflings, orcs, elves, and so on.

There's also Bright (edit: it's a movie), which was mentioned in your other thread, but not with much detail.
It plays in our modern world, but it has fantasy races - orcs, elves, centaurs, and so on. There is a Sauron-like dark lord who used orcs to rule the world thousands of years ago until the other races formed an alliance to beat him. That's why orcs are still being looked down on and basically take the role of today's US ghetto population. Magic is being suppressed because of the dark lord, but it is about to come back with force.

Both are similar to your idea I think and can surely inspire and help you with your own world building.

yeah arcanum seems pretty close to what I am aiming for, and I think I will take a look at Bright
thx for the help

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 08:33:07 am »

I mean, Middle Earth is Earth. And the start of the modern period is the ~6th age? So you could speculate the development between the end of LOTR and now, but true to Tolkien's own experimentations with a post-third age narrative, it becomes much darker, with tales of betrayal and the general moral vacancy of man.

The Elves are specifically mentioned to literally fade, either fleeing across the sea or literally becoming sprites of the forests and other magical creatures before disappearing entirely.

It is not mentioned what happens to the Dwarves, but I imagine that they simply decline in population to the point where they eke out simple livings in their grand, empty halls, keeping mostly underground and only occasionally trading with men.

Hobbits continue being hobbits.

That said, there must surely be more great wars--if we take the Middle Earth is Earth, at least part of what is Eriador has been sundered, so probably something interesting happened.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.