Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do bolts (re-)stack now?  (Read 633 times)

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do bolts (re-)stack now?
« on: July 18, 2018, 06:24:34 am »

I've looked at http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Crossbow and http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Bolt but neither contains the information:
Are bolts collected into stacks of [whatever maximum size] now, or are we still stuck with individual bolts being hauled around and forever alone?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Do bolts (re-)stack now?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 06:52:58 am »

No, items cannot be re-stacked in Vanilla DF.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 09:04:28 pm »

I've been trying to think of sneaky ways to get the dwarfs to put ammo into quivers, but so far with no luck.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 09:36:20 pm »

To get dwarfs to collect many scattered individual bolts at once, they need a container-related job. Either allow your ammo supplies to run low enough where hunters/markdwarfs decide to refill their quiver with many single bolts, or make a temporary binned ammo stockpile. I use the second option by toggling the ammo stockpile to accept-from-anywhere when siege cleanup starts and toggling it to links-only afterwards. You have rare bin-conflict announcements if no one is trying to add bolts while others are removing them.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 01:05:09 am »

allow your ammo supplies to run low enough where hunters/markdwarfs decide to refill their quiver with many single bolts,

I tried doing that, but they only seem to refill their quivers when they actually go out hunting.  My only work around seems to be to temporarily put them in the military, station them and then take them out of the military again (which is a PITA) -- and I wonder if I've fubarred the quivers because they'll be "military" bolts instead of "hunting" bolts...

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 03:35:51 am »

It's too bad that quivers doesn't work a little more like bags whereby any hauler can stuff one full and then that is what's being stored, either as is on the ground or in bins.
And when a hunter is out of bolts he just goes and grabs a new quiver instead.