Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can I stop Dwarves from Wearing Unnecessary Old Clothes?  (Read 934 times)

Vaporo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've noticed that a lot of my dwarves will wear things like hoods, cloaks, mittens, etc. over top of the minimum layer required to cover them. Even when it becomes an XXpig tail hoodXX, they will refuse to drop it until a better article of clothing becomes of the same type becomes available, resulting in "wearing worn out clothing" and "rotted off body" thoughts. Is there any way to stop them from wearing these things aside from making a fortress worth of every type of clothing?

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
Re: How can I stop Dwarves from Wearing Unnecessary Old Clothes?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 12:08:02 pm »

No easy ways to fix this, as far as I'm aware. Without modding, there are two solutions:

The easier one is to actually make or buy replacements for each type of garment. This creates lots of junk, but it can be gradually sold away to caravans. DFhack command cleanowned also helps.

The harder one is to enlist all of your population in "fake" miliatary squads and assign exact uniforms for them to wear. Make sure to check Replace clothing and Exact matches in the uniform settings. Once all of the old additional clothing has rotted (or was sold out to caravans), you can disband these fake squads. From here on, make sure you never get any of the undesired type clothing anymore.

With modding, you can simply remove all the unnecessary clothing from the dwarven civ (ENTITY:MOUNTAIN in entity_default.txt), but make sure to leave at least one additional garment with lots of coverage (dress, coat, robe or cloak) for colder regions and military face protection.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 12:49:27 pm »

If you don't want to use DF Hack or the previously mentioned workaround with squads, is to manually go through the detailed stocks listing and mark old worn out clothing for dumping .. and if the dorfs refuse to take off the articles designated for dumping you have to go the route of first forbidding the items.
..or you can repeatedly produce one of each article of clothing a dorf can wear until all old worn out articles are replaced...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 01:17:26 pm »

Enlisting all dorfs except hunters/miners/wood cutters/children into squads and equip them with "replace clothing" uniforms. You'll still need to get stuff for children and the uniformed professions, though.
Purging the fortress of clothing isn't really practical unless you don't have invaders and dying visitors, as their stuff is claimed by dorfs (well, goblin, dwarven, and elven stuff are: troll/ogre/blizzard man/human stuff is too large).

Dorfs try to equip items on every available clothing layer, with underwear and face not being available for dwarven production (and face cover is rare overall,but goblin invaders and elves have underwear).