Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What Are The Odds?  (Read 810 times)

ZebraOnYourNose

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
What Are The Odds?
« on: July 19, 2018, 03:20:23 pm »

So... this just happened. I've never had something like this happen before. Is this any cause for concern? Should I do something stupid, like a fortress of only female dwarves? Has anyone ever had this before? What about the opposite: a group of all male dwarves?

Also, I think I'm going to make the elderly one (Thob) the expedition leader. I feel like she's the wisest of the group and will probably keep the others from doing something stupid.

Treah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What Are The Odds?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 04:09:38 pm »

I have never seen that but I don't pay much attention to the sex of a dwarf at embark so much. Or ever really to be honest. I have in the past thought about doing a fort with only female dwarves and drowning all the males. However with relationships this could be a problem. Esp if there are male babies and children.

Quicunque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 04:54:44 pm »

1 in 128. The odds of a 50/50 event occurring 7 times consecutively is 1 in 2 to the 7th power, or 1 in 128.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 02:51:45 am »

Once had this happen and then backed out of the embark and tried again only to get 7 males.  Pretty sure the game was just trolling me...  :P

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 03:18:15 am »

Yes, like Treah said, it's just under 1%. It's a concern only if you intend to run a low pop generational fortress (like I do), as skewed gender (and age) ratios among the starting 7 may be enough to make a self sustaining fortress impossible with only two migrant waves (simply not enough possible couples).
For a normal fortress with unlimited migrants, where kids may even be considered a nuisance, it's not an issue.
Any notion of an expedition leader being able to keep the others from doing stupid things borders on delusion, though ;)
(but it might make role playing sense).