Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beak Dog Training  (Read 2504 times)

Tilmar13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Beak Dog Training
« on: July 20, 2018, 02:55:43 pm »

I had half a dozen beak dogs in cages of different genders. Got them all trained (as indicated by the parentheses that said trained). As a test I built a room with nest boxes and designated two b.dogs to pasture there (one of each sex b/c I want tame ones). En route they attacked and killed my favorite mason and woodcrafter. The game still indicated they were fully trained. I managed to block them off in a room via forbidding doors and built cage traps surrounding the exit. Recaptured one of them, and patiently waited for the other. I get the pop-up that Urist McBirdbrain was missing. Killed by the other Beak Dog that hadn't left yet. I go to the area on my map and it shows Beak Dog #1 (the one in the cage) escaped and was cut down by militia and the other Beakie suffered a similar fate.

tl;dr I have no idea how to get Beak dogs trained and tamed and I got 3 dwarves killed. How do I train them without casualties?

BONUS ROUND: I also have a Roc that says it's "trained". Repeating the Beak Dog Incident with a Roc would be disastrous. Must he remain caged forever or can I fully train him into a War Roc?
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beak Dog Training
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 03:05:14 pm »

They might be trained but they still hate your dwarves, read this section. If you just want tame beak dogs, not specifically those, they're pretty easy to obtain by raiding a goblin village for livestock. Full domesticated source of beak omlette without any hassle.

For the roc, pay attention to the last line in that wiki article. Doesn't sound good at all.