Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Built a new PC, no display  (Read 3918 times)

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
Built a new PC, no display
« on: July 20, 2018, 04:10:46 pm »

I've been struggling to fix this problem for a few days and nothing has worked.  I recently built a PC with almost entirely new parts, except for the Hard Drive
Spoiler: Specs for reference (click to show/hide)
I'm at my wit's end for this, I've reseated the CPU multiple times, I've tried different PCIe slots for the GPU, I've tried multiple different slots for the stick of RAM(including the one that the manual says to use), I've tried multiple monitors that work with multiple cables that work and still nothing.  The CPU led on the motherboard lights up when first powered but goes off after just a few seconds, there's no beeps from the speaker either.  None of the other debug leds go on unless I remove the RAM entirely in which case the DRAM light goes on and the speaker beeps but thats obviously because I removed the RAM.
I'm not even sure if the debug LEDs are real or not, the "boot" light doesn't go on when i disconnect anything it could boot from (disk drive and hard drive) and no lights go on when I remove the GPU entirely.

I've really lost all hope on this one, that I wasted over 600$ on a fucking paperweight with red LEDs.  Building this PC is the most frustrating thing I've done in my entire life.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Built a new PC, no display
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 08:34:43 pm »

If the bits are new, does the motherboard come with a manual to tell you what the debut lights mean? Could even go online to check t’be fair. /limited knowledge of this shit but can grind through issues

Edit: Never mind you said that they don’t go on lols.

At least on my motherboard it kinda goes through a process on a little 2 digit analogue display to let you know what’s happening during the process or whatever. Also the beeps. If it ain’t beeping (a single beep as far as I’m aware is “shit’s on, all is well”) that probably means it’s not even getting started.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 08:37:56 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 10:38:33 pm »

Make sure there is power to the gpu if it has an independent power connector. This has screwed me up so many times, and yeah, the PC often won’t post in an effort to protect the card.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 01:59:33 am »

Break with the norm. Make it a Braille pc
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 07:54:00 am »

Sounds to me like an unpowered component. You don't get an error tone from those. It is before it checks for a bootable drive though otherwise disconnecting the drives would cause a response and its after RAM. Not getting any lights with the GPU disconnected suggests the GPU is the problem area but it might not be the GPU itself.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 05:20:45 pm »

Make sure there is power to the gpu if it has an independent power connector. This has screwed me up so many times, and yeah, the PC often won’t post in an effort to protect the card.
There doesn't seem to be a separate power connector, it just goes right into the PCIe slot.
Sounds to me like an unpowered component. You don't get an error tone from those. It is before it checks for a bootable drive though otherwise disconnecting the drives would cause a response and its after RAM. Not getting any lights with the GPU disconnected suggests the GPU is the problem area but it might not be the GPU itself.
All the fans, the case fan, the cpu's heatsink fan, the PSU's fan, and the GPU's fan, all spin up once it's turned on so I assume they're all getting power.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 05:35:38 pm »

⠠⠥⠎⠑⠀⠁⠀⠃⠗⠇⠀⠙⠊⠎⠏⠇⠁⠽
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 10:42:12 pm »

Maybe this is obvious, but have you tried connecting the monitor to the motherboard instead of the GPU (possibly with the GPU removed)?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 11:01:08 pm by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 11:29:46 pm »

Maybe this is obvious, but have you tried connecting the monitor to the motherboard instead of the GPU (possibly with the GPU removed)?
I don't think I've tried it with the GPU installed, but I've definitely tried it without the GPU and it doesn't work.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 06:24:06 pm »

It sounds like the issue is the CPU not staying on, possibly due to a defect or overheating.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 06:43:08 pm »

It sounds like the issue is the CPU not staying on, possibly due to a defect or overheating.
I can't imagine that it's overheating, the heatsink and fan are huge.  I really hope it isn't a defect since that'd be extraordinarily unlucky, unless PC parts are always a crapshoot in which case I have no clue why anyone gambles with parts that cost hundreds or thousands of dollars by trying to build a PC.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 06:48:43 pm »

I really hope it isn't a defect since that'd be extraordinarily unlucky, unless PC parts are always a crapshoot in which case I have no clue why anyone gambles with parts that cost hundreds or thousands of dollars by trying to build a PC.
I mean, they aren't a huge crapshoot, but, yeah, kinda? Didn't you buy from a place with a decent warranty or RMA policy? Seems the most popular vendor, and the one I personally prefer, is Newegg, and they're good about that; if you get a defective piece you just send it back for a new one.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 08:09:01 am »

For whatever it's worth, I had a sort of similar issue to what you've described when I got my current PC - power came on, fans ran, but no beeps, no LEDs (besides the motherboard's power light), no disk activity, no signal to the monitor.  My case was a little different in that I was able to get it to boot if I powered down, turned it off at the power supply switch and turned it off at the wall socket, waited a couple minutes, then turned it all back on again... but I had to do that every time I booted up or I'd get the previously described results.

In the end it turned out to be some sort of compatibility issue between my motherboard and my RAM.  Both were fine on their own and not faulty per se, but it seemed the motherboard (or maybe the BIOS, I vaguely remember talk that it would be fixed in a future update) couldn't handle the RAM at its specified speed (3200).  Since I was able to get it to boot under specific conditions, I was able to get into the BIOS and reduce the RAM speed a bit (I think to 2800), which resolved the problem entirely.

I've no clue how likely it is that you have the same issue, but figured I'd share in case it gives you some other avenues to explore.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 01:32:59 pm »

Manual says RAM needs to be in the second slot on this board, then fourth. Also Interwebz claim Ryzen systems can take up to five minutes to complete the first boot.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 09:51:59 am »

Only other step short of RMA'ing the major components is to try and swap them in to a different PC so you can try to identify if one of them is faulty.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: [1] 2 3