Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Dwarves Aren't Picking Up Assigned Equipment  (Read 2213 times)

Shamadruu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Military Dwarves Aren't Picking Up Assigned Equipment
« on: July 20, 2018, 04:14:27 pm »

I have a uniform for steel armor and weapons assigned to my military dwarves, but they will not pick up the full uniform. My dwarves are running around half clad with armor and half of them aren't wielding a weapon. The armor is not forbidden, and the military dwarves will go to the armor/weapon stockpiles, pause over it, but not take anything. Can anybody help?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Military Dwarves Aren't Picking Up Assigned Equipment
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 07:45:48 pm »

If they are set to wear uniforms while inactive (the default setting), they will attempt to fully equip as soon as they are not doing a higher priority job (eating/sleeping/etc).
- check if the uniforms are set to wear-over-clothing (using 'm', 'e', and arrow over to one of the squad members, then look for the 'r' setting on the top menu). Some armor items cannot be worn over some clothing items (such as boots over shoes) and many players use replace-clothing instead (see this wiki section).
- check if the available equipment is the right size (not large).
- ensure that there are no dwarfs in that squad that have woodcutting/hunting/mining labors enabled.

I'm not sure what to think about the weapons not being picked up, usually that is only caused by the woodcutting/hunting/mining labors and then they would not wear any equipment.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Shamadruu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 08:30:46 pm »

I changed them to replace clothing and they all slowly began to filter into the armory and pick up their gear, including the weapon. Thank you very much! You've saved my dwarves from dying horribly to something as puny as goblins!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 05:12:10 pm »

- ensure that there are no dwarfs in that squad that have woodcutting/hunting/mining labors enabled.

I'm not sure what to think about the weapons not being picked up, usually that is only caused by the woodcutting/hunting/mining labors and then they would not wear any equipment.

In case anyone else is having the same issue, I just want to emphasize the labors aspect of equipping uniforms:

I had most of my dwarves running around in circles picking up equipment for almost a year before I disabled woodcutting/hunting/mining on them.  Then within about a month, they all were wearing armor and got back to work.  I thought those professions just interfered with weapon assignments, but it turns out they can prevent all armor from being worn, even when a weapon is not part of the assigned uniform, set to exact matches, and replace clothing. 

Everything was fine with my active squads, but I ran into dwarves getting into infinite pickup equipment loops when I assigned all the off duty civilians metal armor.  It was weird, they kept swapping out cloth clothing, despite only metal armor being assigned. 

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 04:57:43 pm »

1) Mining and woodcutting labors break uniforms. This is highly annoying when you want your woodcutters to wear at least leather armor for random creature protection. Dedicate some miners and woodcutters and assign a bunch of war animals to them.

2) The absolute least headache, in the long run, for uniforms: Assign *every item* to your dwarves specifically. Use the 'choose specific X' option. You will save so much hassle on dwarves shuffling new equipment around when better stuff is available, and dropping the other ones in random places.