Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sites after embark? Few Qs  (Read 791 times)

HerbalistRanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sites after embark? Few Qs
« on: July 20, 2018, 10:09:56 pm »

Curious if towers can be erected in the world while playing? It takes too long on large worlds to generate more than 150 years.

Other than Tactician and Ambusher are there any skills that really affect missions? From what I understand Artifacts from known locations mostly work and raiding works. Other than that missions are broken?

Is there a way to turn off meetings? My leader is usually what I consider my main character. The King! Most of the time he wants to meet with a petitioner before I can get him to do anything and by then the action is over.

How can I generate a world with no water? I'm really having trouble with this.. No oceans got that but I want to get rid of large lakes while still having many small biomes to embark on and a large world to traverse.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 10:23:23 pm by HerbalistRanger »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sites after embark? Few Qs
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 10:38:49 pm »

All the combat skills and dwarves equipment are used in raids (if there's any fighting).
Think prisoner rescues are working OK. And, that's everything isn't it? So only held artifact quests are broken.

Don't accept visitors if you don't want to meet them.

Not sure about Towers. All other sites are built ok, so presumably towers are working. Still, 150 years is a long time to pass in fortress mode too. Might only get one in all that time.

(This should probably should be in gameplay questions forum)

--edit
Ah, possibly prisoner rescues aren't working unless you do them as a raid with prisoner rescue selected in the details menu. That was the case a few versions ago anyway.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 10:47:25 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 06:01:34 am »

The speed modifier from bad armor skill with full metal equip is even applied to travel speed, put a newbie in the wrong squad and wait a week for a trip that should have taken a day, not even counting the time it takes to leave the map.

Is the prisoner question about your own citicens only? Simply exploring a site that looked abandoned had my guys free two random prisoners (not from my fortress) who showed up a little later asking for sanctuary. That seemed to work fine, haven't found any more prisoners so far.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 08:01:18 am »

The speed modifier from bad armor skill with full metal equip is even applied to travel speed, put a newbie in the wrong squad and wait a week for a trip that should have taken a day, not even counting the time it takes to leave the map.

Is the prisoner question about your own citicens only? Simply exploring a site that looked abandoned had my guys free two random prisoners (not from my fortress) who showed up a little later asking for sanctuary. That seemed to work fine, haven't found any more prisoners so far.
Missions page has two ways to launch a prisoner rescue.
First is to browse the map for prisoners from your civ, then create a mission to rescue them. That stopped working a couple of versions ago. Dorfs leave then come back right away. Not sure if it was fixed.
The second way is just to raid with the options to rescue your citizens (and others too) turned on (which is default). That Just Works as far as I know.

--edit
Yeah, just tested that. I have prisoners at the local dark fortress. Sending a rescue mission fails, Squad return immediately with nothing in the report.

Raid with orders to rescue prisoners works ok.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 08:12:49 am by Shonai_Dweller »