Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trade tutorial video  (Read 851 times)

TheEqualsE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trade tutorial video
« on: March 14, 2018, 04:59:22 pm »

https://youtu.be/JxTIbO-zlaA

In this video I talk about how trading works in Dwarf Fortress, and how to take advantage of it.  I talk about how to have more stuff when the first traders arrive, and have enough to trade for every merchant throughout the year.  I talk about what I like to buy and what I don't like to buy from them.  I talk about the effect trading has on the game, namely more migrants, bigger sieges, and sometimes monsters earlier in the game.  I show how I set up my forts to be efficient using two different examples, the dwarven fortresses of Swampcavern and Tradefort.  I used Armok Vision to show the world in 3D at the very start.

I ran my theories on trading by the DF forum itself a while ago, and incorporated all the feedback I got from that into my videos.  It didn't occur to me to ask if people wanted credit at the time, but I'll have to do that in the future.  Some of your ideas may well be in this first video.

I will write up a series of print versions of these ideas later, but I just spent a lot of hours fighting with a video editor, so I'm going to chill out on that for a bit.  I hope people find this new series helpful and useful.
Likes cats for their aloofness.

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trade tutorial video
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 05:19:47 pm »

Bit of a synch-up/splicing issue at 9:35 in the video. But I will say that so far I've just kinda taken trade at face value. I didn't particularly realize that there was so much to it.

TheEqualsE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 01:15:43 pm »

Thanks for letting me know.  I'm surprised that slipped by me.  I must have lost something in one of the crashes.  But if it had to happen, that was the perfect spot for it.  I may have to make a fixed version.

There's still a couple of spots open if anyone wants to get in on being one of the starting 7 dwarves of the tutorial trade fort.  Also let me know if I seem to be leaving something out.  Since I haven't made them yet it's not too late to add to the sum of trading knowledge.  In future videos I'll give credit to the people whose ideas I mention IF they want me to.

TheEqualsE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 11:12:17 pm »

https://imgur.com/a/WeXkA

Here's the print version of the tutorial.  In some ways it's better than the videos until I really start getting into the how-to details.

TheEqualsE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 01:23:32 pm »

https://youtu.be/gzHxMABExbw

Episode 2 is up!  In this episode I talk about how to set up an embark to use my more trade theory.  I talk about which things really change the game and which things I'm just doing for fun or role playing purposes.  It's long at half an hour, but information packed.  The short idea is, have a dedicated trader, two stone crafters, a gem cutter and setter when you start.  For the long version, see the video.