Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Guests to library or inn?  (Read 1259 times)

carewolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Guests to library or inn?
« on: July 21, 2018, 02:04:39 am »

I my fort all guests have recently been to the library, and the scholars and sages are all dwarves, so I no longer get elves, humans and goblins poets and muscians that used to visit the tavern. Anyone know what drives the logic, and how you can make one more attractive?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guests to library or inn?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 09:15:09 am »

You could just disable the library to outsiders. That'd prevent any unwanted scholars (which I always do, since they're all bugged thieves for your books and codices).

Not sure what drives the logic, though. Is your tavern much smaller/less 'valuable' than your library?
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 03:46:52 pm »

Visiting scholars must have it as professsion.

Worldgen libraries are only built in fortresses (at least in vanilla), so that's going to be at least initial bias to dwarves.. I find they like to gather elves, but perhaps yours didn't.

But there may be some other factors, such as what I've noticed with lack of animal people visitors in some world having significant fraction of them.  I don't know what these factors are.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 07:45:11 pm »

Visiting scholars must have it as professsion.

Worldgen libraries are only built in fortresses (at least in vanilla), so that's going to be at least initial bias to dwarves.. I find they like to gather elves, but perhaps yours didn't.

But there may be some other factors, such as what I've noticed with lack of animal people visitors in some world having significant fraction of them.  I don't know what these factors are.
Humans build libraries. Their values are randomized, so only the civs who value knowledge build them, but they definitely do.

--edit
Just tested that. 160 year vanilla world. 4 libraries. 3 human, 1 dwarf.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 07:55:03 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 01:17:02 am »

Huh, interesting. I stand corrected.

Hm, generated just two simple worlds, 250 small and 550 sparse/large in 43.03. 1 library of dwarves in small and that's it. Good that there's human ones at least now, I can't if Toady even changed their generation based on so few XD.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 01:40:10 am »

Huh, interesting. I stand corrected.

Hm, generated just two simple worlds, 250 small and 550 sparse/large in 43.03. 1 library of dwarves in small and that's it. Good that there's human ones at least now, I can't if Toady even changed their generation based on so few XD.
Try a medium region. Gives the humans more room to spread out. And you need a few human civs to get one which is actually interested in making libraries.

Yeah, there's so few. But I guess they're meant to be great cultural centres bringing all the knowledge of the world into one single place. Rather than your local book-lending outlet. So it makes sense that there's so few. Less sense that they're usually brutal bloodbaths of violence, but that's another issue. :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 01:42:39 am by Shonai_Dweller »

carewolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 04:00:49 am »

I think my library is more valuable, simply due to the books there. I could try putting some serious artifacts in the tavern, and then try to prohibit visitors from the library.

carewolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 06:54:03 am »

No, disabling guests to the library and adding artificates to the inn does nothing. It just seems to no longer be attractive.

Maybe the all the poets and singers don't like how I forced 95% of them into the military?

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 11:14:32 pm »

There's a visitor cap in one of the ini files, and a hard population cap that seems to stop new visitors also once you hit it.

So if you let everyone stay that wants to, and have a big population, eventually your fort just doesn't have room for anyone to visit the tavern. Word goes around it's a bit crowed and full of smelly dorfs, I guess.