Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting Hillocks  (Read 3505 times)

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting Hillocks
« on: July 21, 2018, 09:24:14 am »

In my past three long term forts, none of them have gotten a single hillock to spawn near my fort.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I specifically chose dwarf civs that had ample populations, no wars, embarked decently close to the home mountain. But it just never happens. All I got was a bunch of economically linked elven and goblin sites in the first two years of the fort - and now it's gone all quiet.

I'm a duke without proper holdings.

I'm just wondering if there's some hardcap on sites? I tend to run small worlds, so I'm not sure if that influences anything.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Hillocks
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 09:51:17 am »

What version, surrounding biomes and what do your exports screenies look like?

> First of all as dwarves, you need hills or grassland like the biome supporting types around you & it must be within a day's travel (about 6 or less tiles) be it already founded or newly created. Though i dont know if having particularly powerful landowner nobles extends the range, but the biome lock is in place.

Raise your export and offerings values by throwing money at the mountainhome and progress should accelerate the growth of non-conquered settlements. This way with a barony i was capped at 1 and a local well sized pre-existing hillock in a hill/mountain range attached itself to me, yet i am still waiting probably due to bugs crossing over from 44.11 to 44.12 to upgrade my baron to a count or higher, but that should be irrelevant since i need to get the King who has arrived settled into accomodation.

Mods may also be relevant, since landowner tags are now directly relevant to the frequency of settlers you can get, setting them above nine and whatever may be natural for vanilla for instance may trigger mass migrations providing its all working correctly.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 10:27:30 am »

The latest, and my exports are well above 100k.

The hills/grasslands requirement is news to me though. Yeah, most of my fort is surrounded by swamps and forests. I thought forests were acceptable, but evidently not. That being said, I still have like 7 worldtiles of hills surrounding my fort.

What's more annoying - when I retire the fort in a copied save and set it to run through a few days of postgen history, a hillock pops up right next to my fort. But if I play through the exact same time period in fortress mode - nothing happens. So hopefully it just takes time for the fortress 'c' screen to update, or something might be borked.

update: Yeah, something's borked. The hillock will not spawn at all unless I run the game through the pseudo-worldgen that occurs whenever you select a new game mode. Not sure what's wrong. Next time I'll just embark closer to some hills and grasslands.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 04:14:32 pm by Witty »
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 06:27:28 pm »

Its contextual to the race's requirements, elves would need forests themselves and goblins need nothing at all because they're accomodated nice and dandy.