Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Being followed by a recruit in adventure mode.  (Read 1197 times)

ProtoZoa

• Bay Watcher
  • With AC-HE ammo
    • View Profile
Being followed by a recruit in adventure mode.
« on: July 21, 2018, 11:04:40 am »

An asterick on the map started following me, and he turns out to be a recruit. Whereever I go, he follows me. Is this a bug? Is he sent to spy on me? What are the possible reasons he is following me?

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
Re: Being followed by a recruit in adventure mode.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 12:54:27 pm »

Have you talked to the guy yet? There's a possibility he's just a tag-along fanboy, if you're famous enough.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 07:19:11 pm »

I've definitely had this happen if I'm notorious enough -- sometimes 2 or 3 are following me everywhere.  However, be careful, because I had one of my followers sneak up on me in the night (in a mead hall!) and assassinate me!  I woke up to an arrow in my chest and was too wounded to retaliate effectively.  Kind of sucked, but actually it's one of my favourite endings so far (the absolute best being when I thought I would get clever and jump down a shaft in a dark pit and use my climbing ability to stop my fall... It didn't work and just by chance, I happened to pick a particularly effective shaft.  The last words I saw were, "You have discovered a magma sea".  Though, a fitting way to die, the irony of it was that I was playing an elf).

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 09:06:41 am »

I've had experiences with this before - they could be a bandit on a mission to kill you, but when you approach them, they'll act normal. If you ask what their profession is and they say "I'm on an important mission", then this is most likely the case.
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Ubbul Atöl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 02:55:25 pm »

This is common. It can sometimes be a bandit, but sometimes random traveling asterisks decide to follow the player for no reason.
If it is just a single recruit then it's probably a bandit.