Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Economies of Scale (BetterMember Server)  (Read 8024 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Economies of Scale (BetterMember Server)
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2018, 08:53:06 pm »

yeah atm the game seems to be 'turkey trade simulator'

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2018, 09:34:53 pm »

In comparison to store size, I'm making more revenue from something other than turkeys. (300m2 vs 35m2)
I'm also making more profit flat out.
Only thing stopping me from going bigger is the cost.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2018, 02:44:36 pm »

Next bug:
Can't create new company, always getting "insufficient cash" error. It shows I need 1.25M to start. I have 2M personal cash and 1.5M in my only other company

Deagh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2018, 02:37:13 am »

Interest seems to not be as advertised.  Game text says interest is 1%, but I was just charged 21,250.00 on a 625k outstanding loan, which is 3.4% interest.

Crowe~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2018, 04:13:40 am »

Interest is 1% on the balance. There's a 2% fee when you take the loan out, this gets counted within the interest line, on the day the loan is taken. Not sure how your getting your 3.4% though, you sure thats correct?

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2018, 06:12:24 am »

Two ways to get over 3%:
1) You took and paid multiple loans same day
2) You use auto loan payment setting and take new day loan balance into account - auto payment is done AFTER day processing

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2018, 09:15:22 am »

auto payment is done AFTER day processing
Which is annoying and makes the feature mostly worthless.

Dwachs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2018, 09:21:54 am »

aluminium cannot be researched

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2018, 09:53:29 am »

Ah, EOS. Gave it a shot. Water seemed to take an age to produce compared to other similarly valued items. Tried the balanced approach, failed miserably because having a fully stocked store is like shooting yourself in the foot. I want to like it, but it's deeply flawed. The only way to turn good profit is to pick and sell one higher priced item. I remember making bank by selling airplanes and skyrocketing above everyone else.

If things were balanced to all be about the same profit no matter the price then it would be fun - market conditions like competition and availability of suppliers would dictate what was best. But with such a deeply flawed demand model, only the most expensive items will ever be worthwhile.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Deagh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2018, 12:46:27 pm »

Interest is 1% on the balance. There's a 2% fee when you take the loan out, this gets counted within the interest line, on the day the loan is taken. Not sure how your getting your 3.4% though, you sure thats correct?

Aha, the 2% fee being paid with the first day's interest is where the issue is.  I had understood that the origination fee was paid at the time I took out the loan, not on the first day's interest.

The 3.4% came from paying 21250 in interest on an outstanding balance of 625,000.  21250 is 3.4% of 625k. 

But original loan amount was 750k, 2% of that is 15k, then the remaining 6250 is the 1% interest.  Makes sense now, thank you.

Deagh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2018, 02:50:57 pm »

aluminium cannot be researched

Neither can vanilla extract, at least not directly.  The inputs can be, so you can improve quality that way, but you can't directly research the extract itself.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2018, 05:17:41 pm »

Ah, EOS. Gave it a shot. Water seemed to take an age to produce compared to other similarly valued items. Tried the balanced approach, failed miserably because having a fully stocked store is like shooting yourself in the foot. I want to like it, but it's deeply flawed. The only way to turn good profit is to pick and sell one higher priced item. I remember making bank by selling airplanes and skyrocketing above everyone else.

If things were balanced to all be about the same profit no matter the price then it would be fun - market conditions like competition and availability of suppliers would dictate what was best. But with such a deeply flawed demand model, only the most expensive items will ever be worthwhile.
The game is flawed, yeah.  Price caps are making it even more flawed.  It's not really worth putting lots of thought and time into it, but it's still kind of an interesting diversion.

This is the fun part of the game, though -- when everyone is too poor to make everything they need themselves and must buy components from the BtB.  Later, when everyone is super rich and makes all components they need, it gets old fast.

I remember how aircraft, boats, and cars were the way to go in the old game.  If you had the money, you wanted to get into those industries.  But it required a very high investment to get into those industries.  You pretty much had to be already rich to get even more rich in those industries.  The quest system that gave everyone gazillions was not exactly helping the situation.

One reason turkeys are so profitable in this version is because they take a lot of earlier tier products to make.  Products that require lots of components should be more profitable than early tier products; otherwise, what would be the point of getting into late tier products?    The problem where it is currently more profitable to sell just turkeys and nothing else should eventually go away as more products that are similarly profitable become available.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2018, 05:51:54 pm »

One reason turkeys are so profitable in this version is because they take a lot of earlier tier products to make

no. the reason is that demand scale with product value. so you can sell them at ridiculous prices because the demand for them is super high. that's also why jet and car were op in the original game. the demand curve is fucked up.

Deagh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2018, 10:56:28 pm »

Anyone interested in tortillas for their fast food place?  I can make them now that there's oil in the B2B, but they're not high enough margin for me to sell in my bake shop.  But if someone wants them, I could run some up.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2018, 01:15:15 am »

Next bug:
Can't create new company, always getting "insufficient cash" error. It shows I need 1.25M to start. I have 2M personal cash and 1.5M in my only other company

Bumping this, how did people get multiple companies?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6