Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Economies of Scale (BetterMember Server)  (Read 8005 times)

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
Re: Economies of Scale (BetterMember Server)
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2018, 06:41:07 pm »

No I picked the medium difficulty, but I figured it out. You have to transfer your personal money into the business account.
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2018, 03:02:11 pm »

I'm not sure but I think I may have crashed the game server by queuing up too much research.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2018, 03:04:00 pm »

It seems to happen somewhat often for various reasons.
Give it a minute or so and it sorts itself out usually.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2018, 05:35:12 am »

Is there any reason not to use wind power? Solar seems more expensive and slower to produce than wind, while fossil fuel plants are wildly expensive and require materials to produce electricity resulting them in being more expensive than wind plants. I don't see their purpose.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2018, 07:20:56 am »

Is there any reason not to use wind power? Solar seems more expensive and slower to produce than wind, while fossil fuel plants are wildly expensive and require materials to produce electricity resulting them in being more expensive than wind plants. I don't see their purpose.

At this point, I don't think so. Most are not big enough for it to matter, but due to how salary work, they can be more profitable when big enough (salaries are superlinear vs building size). Didn't do the math to find the break even point, you can if you want to. They are definitely more space efficient (later fields are more expensive and you can only get 100m2 without time investment - quests would break it if implemented like they were) and growth time efficient (you can increase your production faster using fossil fuels than wind). I don't see a reason to use solar though.
I do use power plant in a company where i do have fuel anyway (and don't want to min/max for 0 leftover) that supplies most of energy needed by that company. It is more expensive per unit, but I have more profitable things in slots I would have to give for wind power.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2018, 09:16:38 am »

At this point, I don't think so. Most are not big enough for it to matter, but due to how salary work, they can be more profitable when big enough (salaries are superlinear vs building size). Didn't do the math to find the break even point, you can if you want to. They are definitely more space efficient (later fields are more expensive and you can only get 100m2 without time investment - quests would break it if implemented like they were) and growth time efficient (you can increase your production faster using fossil fuels than wind). I don't see a reason to use solar though.
I do use power plant in a company where i do have fuel anyway (and don't want to min/max for 0 leftover) that supplies most of energy needed by that company. It is more expensive per unit, but I have more profitable things in slots I would have to give for wind power.

interesting, so I won't sell my fossil fuel plant just yet hehe. thanks for explaining

Whivy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2018, 07:43:21 am »

Do we know when office supplies will be bankable ? Cause right now (i tried out of curiosity), unless i'm doing it bad, it's way unprofitable. A shame, but since the game is oriented on quality rather than quantity, i can't imagine how selling shit tons of toilet paper could be profitable one day, even a Q30 toilet paper (the pleasure though).

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2018, 03:14:06 am »

The market value of turkeys seems to have dropped pretty sharply. Have people been reducing their prices?
Nothing important here, move along.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2018, 05:01:40 pm »

That is probably from companies with higher quality turkeys stealing market share.

Aranna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2018, 12:57:51 am »

Speaking of which there seems to be a bug (I think it is known but I can't recall) when you select an item and look at it's sale charts.
The World Quality is appears to always listed as 0 and the World Average Sale Price (WASP) is just the Wholesale Value (At least in all items sold in both Industrial and Office Supply stores).

It might be working in the Farmers Market, as the EoS-Pedia lists differing values for that store's items, however I only have the 2 stores and one lists.

The Industrial items are all N/A across the board excluding Base Value and Leading Tech, but the Office Supply items are not but are incorrectly showing 0 values.
Everything but Paper should have non-0 values for Average Store Price, Average Quality, and Units Sold as I'm selling Q2 of those products and have been for awhile (though excluding for a brief period I've been the only person with an Office Supply, which may have something to do with it?).

Dwachs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2018, 05:17:30 am »

What is better in the long run in terms of sales: build two supermarkets of 100 m^2, or build one of 200m^2 ?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2018, 07:24:43 am »

What is better in the long run in terms of sales: build two supermarkets of 100 m^2, or build one of 200m^2 ?

a single supermarket has a higher marketing bonus overall and will sell faster than splitting m2, in theory.

in practice for as long as there aren't quests and we need to wait for expansion the most efficient way is to have as many as possible, so that expansion happens faster (it takes half time to improve 2 100mq to 200mq than one 200mq to 400mq)

Whivy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2018, 08:49:40 am »

Now that marcies stopped to sell eletricity, that's gonna be hard for people like me who stopped investing in windfarms...

Whivy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2018, 11:24:54 am »

Not a bug, but something that need balancing in my opinion is yeast. It's kinda difficult to produce, unless you really go full bakery products (it needs salt, which come from sub surface haletite and bakery refining, and sugar, that come from sugar cane from plantation and bakery refining, and potato, which come from vegetable field, so 4 buildings just for yeast) and it's very very long : 14h for 100k for a 100km² building. And the result is... something that value is 0.23$ the unit. And that product is mandatory for alcohol business and some bakeries products.

I think you should tweek the time to produce. So 100k should be around 2h or so for a 100m² factory.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2018, 12:13:33 pm »

I'm not playing the game, but I have a suggestion: this sort of game really needs a formula based pricing for items instead of just made up numbers. It's the easiest way to get balance on things.

For example, you might have an item chain valued like this (completely made up for an example):

Production time is valued at $1 per unit (unit being second or minute or whatever). This one would need to be set based on how profitable you want the game to be, and could be adjusted for the cost of the factory or store by making the higher priced factories more productive (IE, million dollar plant might produce 10 units of production in a minute, while 100k farm might produce 1 unit of production in a minute), and this value minus what your factory fixed costs are would effectively be the processing profit on the item.

Water takes 1 unit of time to make and no ingredients. Valued at a base of $1.

Wheat takes 1 unit of water and 2 units of time to make. Valued at a base of $3 ($2 + $1 for the water).

Flour takes 1 unit of wheat and 1 unit of time to make. Valued at a base of $4 ($1 + $3 for the wheat).

Porridge takes 1 unit of wheat 1 unit of water and 5 units of time to make. Valued at a base of $10 ($5 + $1 for water and $4 for wheat).

And so on. And selling them would have a demand model in dollars, with a similar profit model as manufacturing - selling flour in a store for $8 might take 4 units of sales time, while selling a porridge for $20 would be 10 units of sales time. Now obviously it's more complex than this, and you have demand models and such that need to be decently complex and you have bonuses to production and to sales based on scale and batch size. But if it's all based off this system with good demand equations and no magic bonuses for high value items, you would have a system where every item is theoretically the same profitability. You wouldn't need bonuses for more complex or expensive items or the like, as those items would naturally get bonuses due to supply and demand - more people would produce easier to produce stuff (at least at first) and the first to make the more complex products might enjoy a relative monopoly for a time.

This sort of pricing model for everything would immediately bring all products into balance, and the profitability of products would solely depend on the market forces - ie, other players and how they're behaving. I would play a game like that, as then it's less about exploiting bugs and/or quirks in the system and more about exploiting opportunities in the market.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6