Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Tea  (Read 30171 times)

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tea
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 02:37:43 pm »

Better to have it the other way around, value determined by rarity, since supply and demand is supposed to be implemented at some point.

Demand is about utility, not just rarity. You might have a handful of collectors and fashionistas that'd pay 1000 dwarfbucks for a tiger-leather hat because it's rare, but for most folks, 20 dwarfbucks for a cow-leather version will be way more attractive since it does the same job and is a lot more common and easier to get. By the same token, iron is one of the more common metals, but it doesn't make that much sense for it to end up cheaper than zinc which is much less common, because iron has a lot more practical utility and so the demand for it will be a lot higher.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

Rufflikerex

• Bay Watcher
  • One time, a horde of Monkeys doomed my Dwarves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2018, 10:52:51 pm »

I doubt that Dwarves would be fond of Tea (maybe they'd drink it before water if a booze shortage occurs), but perhaps it could be used as an alternate drink for non-Dwarven visitors to a Tavern. I can imaging Humans, Elves, and Goblin visitors wanting to drink something more soothing than alcohol.
May ye remember Ladderbound's fate when one of yer fruit-pickers dwarfs be thirsty and not moving.
May ye seek out solutions before your dwarf drops dead.
Ladderbound provided the proof ye can be stuck at the top of a ladder.
All raise yer cups to Ladderbound!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2018, 02:50:52 am »

I doubt that Dwarves would be fond of Tea (maybe they'd drink it before water if a booze shortage occurs), but perhaps it could be used as an alternate drink for non-Dwarven visitors to a Tavern. I can imaging Humans, Elves, and Goblin visitors wanting to drink something more soothing than alcohol.

Depends if there's anything comparable underground, contrarily i dont see why they wouldnt like tea but it may be outside the reach/interest to gather of normal dwarves but still importable from foriegn sources if the player doesn't push.

Quarry leaves aren't edible but maybe they make a good brew to be mixed with dwarven milk & sweet pod extract to make Dwarven tea (though both the sugar & milk can be removed from that as nessecary)

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2018, 02:50:40 pm »

I don't think we should overlook the medicine/disease angle, which could add quite a lot to the game. Actual tea tea has no meaningful medicinal effects that I'm aware of, but infusions (and other treatments) of many different plants were (and still are) used to treat fevers, asthma, burns, heart conditions, etc.

I'd like to see the Herbalist profession removed, and replaced with:
"Forager", a new Ranger skill, who primarily seeks out edible plants (but may also kill/trap vermin creatures he happens to encounter), and
"Herbologist", a new Doctor skill who identifies, cultivates, harvests & prepares medicinal plants (and maybe a few animals).
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2018, 03:46:47 am »

I don't think we should overlook the medicine/disease angle, which could add quite a lot to the game. Actual tea tea has no meaningful medicinal effects that I'm aware of, but infusions (and other treatments) of many different plants were (and still are) used to treat fevers, asthma, burns, heart conditions, etc.

I'd like to see the Herbalist profession removed, and replaced with:
"Forager", a new Ranger skill, who primarily seeks out edible plants (but may also kill/trap vermin creatures he happens to encounter), and
"Herbologist", a new Doctor skill who identifies, cultivates, harvests & prepares medicinal plants (and maybe a few animals).

No skill bloat please. We've already got four billion skills, can we try not to add new ones just for the sake of it?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2018, 03:53:14 am »

It sounds like one of the better skill suggestions, however chemist isn't used and can be applied under that.

A medieval society wouldn't have a grasp of pharmaceuticals so would just ask the local alchemist/wise person to whip up a experimental, probably dangerous or placebo cure. Lets just hope they dont mix up the acid & golden salve flasks.

It'd be nice if we could actually use golden salve in this application, tea is also a stimulant so particularly potent & high value tea could give a syndrome that raises attentiveness but also makes them a bit more jittery.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2018, 12:50:43 am »

No skill bloat please. We've already got four billion skills, can we try not to add new ones just for the sake of it?
It's hardly "just for the sake of it" when herbology was an actual skill that many people all over the world practiced, some even made their living by it. (Unlike some others, such as Gelder, or Glazer, or Fish Dissector.) I get your concern about bloat, but IMO realism generally trumps feelings. You might feel that, for example, splitting the Brewer profession up into Brewer, Vinter, and Distiller would be unnecessary bloat, but the fact remains that these are three almost completely unrelated processes and skill in one does not confer any skill in the others. Just as someone who knows the most likely times/places to go looking for wild strawberries is not guaranteed to also know that chewing on willow bark acts as a mild analgesic.

It sounds like one of the better skill suggestions, however chemist isn't used and can be applied under that.
I'd prefer to keep the Herbologist and (Al)Chemist separate, actually. Just like the Carpenter and Mason: Even when they're working to achieve the same goal, their materials are too different to have the skill be transferable. Heck, there's a lot more cross-training potential between Herbologist and Cook than between Herbologist and Alchemist.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2018, 03:40:44 am »

Although it's not implemented in the game because there are no poisonous plants, in real life there was a strong link between herbalists and foragers.  Anyone gathering food needed to know which plants were edible and which were not, and in post-farming societies pretty much the only reason a person would be gathering wild plants is for finding herbs that are not usually farmed, which means they would probably know their uses and properties.

In DF's abstraction, I think we can assume that the inedible plants are "invisible", and the herbalism skill is the ability to recognize the useful plants among the useless ones.

Rufflikerex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2018, 05:26:46 pm »

Depends if there's anything comparable underground, contrarily i dont see why they wouldnt like tea but it may be outside the reach/interest to gather of normal dwarves but still importable from foriegn sources if the player doesn't push.

Quarry leaves aren't edible but maybe they make a good brew to be mixed with dwarven milk & sweet pod extract to make Dwarven tea (though both the sugar & milk can be removed from that as nessecary)

Well here's the thing, Dwarves would rather drink alcohol than water, and since Tea is made from water it wouldn't make sense for Dwarves to drink it unless there's no alcohol, or it could be a more effective alternative to water for Dwarves in a hospital.

tl;dr: Dwarves don't drink tea like sissy Elves because Dwarves are hardcore drunks.
May ye remember Ladderbound's fate when one of yer fruit-pickers dwarfs be thirsty and not moving.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2018, 10:28:05 pm »

Myth release will bring procedural, potentially non-alcoholic races. You could even play as humans. For those, tea would make sense.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2018, 06:55:48 am »

Myth release will bring procedural, potentially non-alcoholic races. You could even play as humans. For those, tea would make sense.

I think the game should support us playing dwarves in a non-sterotypical way.  Not that sterotypical dwarves ever made sense, why would dwarves waste the scarce energy in their underground environment on yeast?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2018, 09:22:07 am »

The game is supposed to be a simulation of your standard stereotypical fantasy world.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2018, 09:55:04 am »

Tea isn't very outlandish, very contempary to the medieval setting (due to how poor travel was in our world between east & west until much much later) but not abstract levels of weird for some sort of herbal brew when we have comparison's in golden salve glass beakers that are only for export.

Hmm
Code: [Select]
[SYN_NAME:stimulant]
[SYN_IDENTIFIER:STIMULANT]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[SYN_INGESTED]
[SYN_NO_HOSPITAL]
[SYN_CONCENTRATION_ADDED:100:1000]
                [CE_CHANGE_PERSONALITY:POLITENESS:25:FACET:THOUGHTLESSNESS:-25:FACET:IMAGINATION:25:FACET:ASSERTIVENESS:25:LUST_PROPENSITY:25:PROB:100:SIZE_DILUTES:START:10:PEAK:120:END:480:DWF_STRETCH:4]
                [CE_MENT_ATT_CHANGE:ANALYTICAL_ABILITY:0:150:FOCUS:0:200:PATIENCE:0:250:SOCIAL_AWARENESS:0:200:MEMORY:0:200:PROB:100:SIZE_DILUTES:START:10:PEAK:120:END:480:DWF_STRETCH:4]

Something like this might be functional for modding it in as a pseudo brewable drink people can serve, fufill thirst from & reap the benefits of serving en-masse without anybody dying and instead being a teeny bit mentally sharper. Putting in a special reaction to brew tea from something like quarry bush leaves.

The stats could be more but 150,200 & 250 will push dwarves on the edge, up a field and the relaxation effect of the drink is significantly less than alcohol. I threw in the aphrodisiac into that code line under [LUST_PROPENSITY] as a experiment for whoever wanted to add it to their game if they could work out where to start, or use it as the basis for a mod.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 10:33:53 am by FantasticDorf »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2018, 10:00:11 am »

The game is supposed to be a simulation of your standard stereotypical fantasy world.

The sterotypical fantasy medieval world is pretty thin.  If tea is the default drink for dwarves then that's nonsense, but if it's a thing they whip up for treats or ceremonies, medicines and the like, then fine.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Rufflikerex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2018, 01:13:23 am »

I think the game should support us playing dwarves in a non-sterotypical way.  Not that sterotypical dwarves ever made sense, why would dwarves waste the scarce energy in their underground environment on yeast?
BECAUSE STEREOTYPICAL DWARVES ARE FUN! Let the drunks stay drunks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15