Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: Tea  (Read 29910 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Tea
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2018, 03:39:49 am »

I don't understand why dwarfs, which need alcohol to get through the day, would ever see tea as something other than water that has been polluted. They would be suspicious about drinking it, and would make jokes and rude comments at a "tea ceremony", and generally do anything except drink the tea.
Mythgen will bring non-dwarf playable races, such as humans. Those might drink tea.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2018, 07:57:32 am »

I don't understand why dwarfs, which need alcohol to get through the day, would ever see tea as something other than water that has been polluted. They would be suspicious about drinking it, and would make jokes and rude comments at a "tea ceremony", and generally do anything except drink the tea.

You obviously have never met my grandma who mixes Jack Daniels whiskey into it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2018, 08:54:08 am »

Blasphemy! A waste of good <insert preferred liquid here>!

VislarRn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2018, 09:37:42 am »

All dwarves don't have to be Scottish, some might be British too. :)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2018, 01:08:20 pm »

I could certainly see dwarves having their own little tea culture. Having a few cups of the stuff after waking up an hour before sunrise, to prepare themselves for a nice day of making microcline mugs.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2018, 09:57:23 pm »

I could certainly see dwarves having their own little tea culture. Having a few cups of the stuff after waking up an hour before sunrise, to prepare themselves for a nice day of making microcline mugs.
Perhaps with alcohol mixed into it.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2018, 04:44:47 am »

It's obviously meant to be minced into roasts and biscuits, like milk and syrup.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2018, 07:03:33 am »

Iced tea with a swirl of dwarven syrup comes to mind or some fruit could be very very nice & sickly.

With all those exotic ingredients we will have to keep an eye on the FPS!!!!  ;) 8)

By that point @GoblinCookie it would pretty much be a 'social function' mug alterative rather than a liquid holder, unless taverns ESPECIALLY asked for teapots & jugs to use to pour exact amounts into dwarves cups.

The social function part is optional, you could simply use a teapot to carry water to drink in adventure mode for instance, so mechanically it is very much an ordinary liquid dispenser like a jug.  Having jugs in taverns along the lines your describe would go a way to making taverns more efficient, instead of having to get a mug for each customer, the customers all take a mug when they arrive and then the barman goes around with a jug of alcohol to serve them.

Admittedly that isn't generally how taverns work in RL, but it is certainly more efficient. 

How narrow-minded of them.....

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2018, 09:13:24 am »

"I do not like green tea or char,
I do not like it, Sam-o-var!"

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2018, 09:58:50 am »

It is in the raws... dwarfs are alcohol dependent. Dwarves might have a "ceremony", but "tea" is not likely to be a main component.

It would be interesting to see rituals/ceremonies being performed as a Socialize activity, similar to dancing, poetry, and music.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2018, 10:15:22 am »

It is in the raws... dwarfs are alcohol dependent. Dwarves might have a "ceremony", but "tea" is not likely to be a main component.

It would be interesting to see rituals/ceremonies being performed as a Socialize activity, similar to dancing, poetry, and music.
Did you read my post? Eventually, dwarves will stop being the "main" race, as others will become officially playable. No-magic worlds will have only humans, anyhow.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2018, 11:04:10 am »

Did you read my post? Eventually, dwarves will stop being the "main" race, as others will become officially playable. No-magic worlds will have only humans, anyhow.

I'm not sure any of that is true.  I think dwarves will be the default, even in no-magic realms.  Others may sidestep into the limelight a bit, and other races will be more supported, but Dwarves will never cease to be the primary protagonists (or antagonists, depending on how long you've been playing for).
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2018, 11:15:31 am »

Yes. I just think the idea of a "ceremony" needs to be separated from the idea of "tea", and the idea of "tea" needs to be separated from "dwarf".

Any civilization can have customs (including ceremonies, rituals, and rites. I only vaguely know the difference between these words and there are probably more words for these activities.) But they all are actions that originally had an additional meaning and help create or reinforce the bond of an individual with a community.

In a world that does have dwarfs, I cannot see that those dwarfs would ever have a "ceremony" involving "tea", unless the ceremony represented some hardship their ancestors endured (such as having to survive on fermented tea leaves while they desperately sought plants that would yield a higher alcohol content).
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2018, 11:21:28 am »

Yes. I just think the idea of a "ceremony" needs to be separated from the idea of "tea", and the idea of "tea" needs to be separated from "dwarf".

Any civilization can have customs (including ceremonies, rituals, and rites. I only vaguely know the difference between these words and there are probably more words for these activities.) But they all are actions that originally had an additional meaning and help create or reinforce the bond of an individual with a community.

In a world that does have dwarfs, I cannot see that those dwarfs would ever have a "ceremony" involving "tea", unless the ceremony represented some hardship their ancestors endured (such as having to survive on fermented tea leaves while they desperately sought plants that would yield a higher alcohol content).

Then why would they have a ritual involving singing or anything else?  Dwarves are allowed to like things.  I like the funny voice I get from helium even though I'm oxygen dependent, and I enjoy putting non-nutritional herbs and spices on my food, despite being nutrition dpendent.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2018, 07:12:49 am »

I'm not sure any of that is true.  I think dwarves will be the default, even in no-magic realms.  Others may sidestep into the limelight a bit, and other races will be more supported, but Dwarves will never cease to be the primary protagonists (or antagonists, depending on how long you've been playing for).

It think that not a magic vs no magic slider, it is a fantasy vs mundanity slider.  At absolute mundanity only [MUNDANE] things will  actually exist, that means stuff that exists in real-life.  That means that dwarves won't exist in the extreme mundane universe because they don't exist in real-life. 

I don't personally think it's a good system, I would prefer magic VS non-magic slider where things that are possible but don't exist in real-life (like dwarves) are found but nothing magic or supernatural does. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15