Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: can someone tell me why my Archery towers are not working  (Read 1236 times)

Llamarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
can someone tell me why my Archery towers are not working
« on: July 24, 2018, 12:28:16 pm »

A while ago some werebeast entered the map and freaked me out because I had no defense against it so I did the usual burrow-->pull lever closing main bridge in entrance and waited it out. After I made an archer squad, trained them to skilled/professional marksdwarves and built them archery towers (shown in picture.) However when another werebeast came, and I trapped it in the courtyard they did not shot at it from the towers. I've given it a lot of thinking but I can't seem to undestand what is wrong. Pls help!

Courtyard: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/108012651219385969675/album/6581836144638526065/6581836140541284514?authkey=CK3G_L2-9eHqhQE

Towers: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/108012651219385969675/album/6581836144638526065/6581836143023797474?authkey=CK3G_L2-9eHqhQE

Roof: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/108012651219385969675/album/6581836144638526065/6581836142569761154?authkey=CK3G_L2-9eHqhQE
If life throws you lemons, it's not life it's an elf siege :v

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: can someone tell me why my Archery towers are not working
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 12:59:24 pm »

If you've already contained the werebeast, why kill it? You could carefully herd it into a custom prison and have a cool pet.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 01:11:00 pm »

Silly question, but best to start from square one: the dwarves do have their weapons and ammo when they get to the towers, right?

Otherwise, I'm not sure either.  If I'm reading the maps right they should have clear shots at it, except maybe if it goes beneath one of the towers.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Llamarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 02:43:07 pm »

Silly question, but best to start from square one: the dwarves do have their weapons and ammo when they get to the towers, right?

Otherwise, I'm not sure either.  If I'm reading the maps right they should have clear shots at it, except maybe if it goes beneath one of the towers.

Yeah they do, I make sure to have all bones from butchery (except a couple in case of mood) made into bolts, all copper and some wood pluss trade from caravan. Also they have their uniforms set to "replace clothing" and their personal crossbows.

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 03:06:30 pm »

How are you getting them into the tower anyway? Station, kill, burrow defense? Tried the others?

Also is the werebeast in wereform right now? A naked human isn't shot on sight I think.

What you ordered them to equip is a bit irrelevant with dwarves having their own ideas, please look at some inventories that they really have quiver, bolt and xbow on their person if you haven't already.

Llamarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 03:15:45 pm »

How are you getting them into the tower anyway? Station, kill, burrow defense? Tried the others?

Also is the werebeast in wereform right now? A naked human isn't shot on sight I think.

What you ordered them to equip is a bit irrelevant with dwarves having their own ideas, please look at some inventories that they really have quiver, bolt and xbow on their person if you haven't already.

I set a station order to the tower level while the creature is transformed, they do arive to their position but do not shoot, I didnt check their inventory but I will try next time. Also the werebeast scaped.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 08:49:46 pm »

What happened after the werebeast got out?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Llamarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 11:51:15 pm »

What happened after the werebeast got out?

Well.. I don’t really know how it got out (unless it jumped the wall when it turned back into a dwarf)
And so I continued testing and I am almost sure it was because they needed specific ammo to train and for combat. What I mean is that in the military screen under the “f” menu (ammunition), you can set specific types of ammo for train/fight. If you don’t then they end up using all of it to train. I did have ammo but not enough to fill the ammo stockpiles on the towers and therefore they would get those and practice and then when they needed the ammo they could not leave their post to go grab some resulting in them not shooting. To fix this I limited the ammo used for practice to wood, now I’m ready for gobos.

PS special thanks to those who came in aid of a fellow player, and to those who came back to check :)