Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: An Arms Race / Core Thread (COMPLETE)  (Read 10984 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Industrialized Warfare: An Arms Race / Core Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2018, 04:04:30 am »

Aberra has less posts, so I'll join them.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 04:07:11 am »

A 2d6 with a single malus system compared to a 2d4 with a malus systems means it way easier to perform harder designs, and the 2d4 System was way... easy, take for example a Theoritical Roll

A Theoretical design which should be obscenely difficult is actually now, the below-average roll of a 6 means you get a 3 off a theoretical roll gives you a buggy mess, so you still get something. A average roll of a 7 though (3.5+3.5) means you get a below-average Design off a Theoretical off the die average; yeah...

There seems to be minimal penalty to actually doing harder designs and extremely low chance for utter failures, so see ridiculous technology increments...

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 10:19:54 am »

He's not wrong. Either there should be more difficulty levels (Trivial->Very Easy->Easy->Normal->Moderate->Hard->Very Hard->Ludicrous->Theoretical-->Impossible, or something), or there should be some other compensating factor, otherwise so-called Hard designs will be pretty reliably successful, whilst Easy designs will rarely be much better than average.
Long Live United Forenia!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2018, 02:06:36 pm »

As the game progresses and the scope and scale of designs grows I'll likely opt to add in additional levels of difficulty. Initially however that's intentional - there are a lot of possible fields to advance in right now, and as many are untapped I dont want there to be fear of breaking new ground.

BBBence1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2018, 07:10:40 pm »

Joining the Monarchist side.
Proud Juraki/Cannalan/Kasgyr/Ertexite/Karikhitan/Nogranian/Aratam Engineer.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 01:58:37 am »

Woah, I've somehow managed to get to this thread from the team threads.

(I finally remembered to put a link to this thread in the team threads)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2018, 04:04:41 am »

Question about fortifications: by the sound of things, when you capture an area, you gain control of all existing fortifications, essentially undamaged. Is this correct? I dunno, it seems like it would make more sense for the level to drop by one when control changes, or something like that- due to the defenders sabotaging things on the way out, things getting destroyed in the fighting, the fact that defences are typically designed to be one-directional and thus requiring considerable effort to 'turn around'.
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2018, 07:00:23 am »

Joined the Salvios side.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2018, 09:09:59 am »

There are rules in place regarding damage to fortifications. Ultimately however I decided against weakening captured fortifications as each side has 9 sectors to upgrade up to 3 times. Since you're only going to be fortifying one sector by one level a turn its going to take some time to build up defenses. This way it's one less thing for everyone to keep track of and you'll be able to build up defenses at home without sacrificing staying power on the front.

Ultimately the rule is meant to prolong the slog, but if something happens that would do severe damage to fortifications, such as the events at our Battle of Messines, it will be taken into account. A lot of rules are fluid and will likely be adjusted as the war evolves.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2018, 10:05:25 am »

Hmm, here's a question for this game that I think should be answered. Since this is an alternate universe to the point where the players get to make up their own special resource, would it be possible for players to make up different animals as well?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2018, 11:08:44 am »

Nope, the world is same as ours up until this point in terms of technology, flora, and fauna, with a different geography and series of events in human history.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2018, 07:04:32 pm »

Double post, but I wanna bring this up for everyone. I feel like I don't need to ask, but I did a lot of worldbuilding during the six or so weeks I was hammering this out. Part of that resulted in a crudely drawn map of that portion of the world. While the map and the nations on it aren't going to amount to much more than flavor, are youse interested in seeing how screwed Harren Island is?

It'll have to wait for another 7 or 8 hours before I can post it. I've been contemplating an Elsewhere in the World part of the reports, but you'll all need some perspective for that to really matter

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2018, 07:06:11 pm »

Lore? But of course.

Avanti!

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2018, 07:11:05 pm »

Oh delicious lore, yes please! I tend to eat any and all lore right up.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2018, 07:28:47 pm »

I love lore, all the more flavour I can throw into designs and revisions.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10