Hammer Time
- 3 (21.4%)
Time...to die.
- 6 (42.9%)
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
- 3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 88

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1917 A.C. Cold Season (COMPLETE)  (Read 93752 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Greetings, brilliant minds of Salvios!

This is it. We finally get to civilize the northern half of the island. Once the forces across the southern half of the island are mustered we will be able to take the fight to Abbera. The larger nations have begun to skirmish, and it is only a matter of time before the whole world is sucked into this expanding war. As our island sits between the two continents it is imperative that we gain control for the League so that we can provide a staging area for our allies in the two continents to contest the sea and provide aid. At this moment we prepare our offensive, though first the Merchant Lords need you to decide a few things.

Firstly, keep in mind you will need to decide on a Specialty Resource by the time we engage the Abberans.

Secondly, this season we aim to pacify the Lowlands as a group of Selicate agents have incited rebellion in a few villages. We need you to design one weapon meant to be a primary infantry firearm and one piece of offensive equipment, such as a grenade, combat knife, or otherwise, to aid in this endeavor. You can choose to create two designs of whatever you wish, but designs fitting our specifications will receive special funding for their development. [In game terms, I give a Design Credit for designs that fit the requests made during this stage of the game.] Our armory is severely outdated, and this is the first step in modernizing our forces.

Thirdly, we need to design a uniform for our soldiers. Some of our men dress like they're pulled from the Renaissance with plumed hats and bright colors, and that only makes it easier to get shot at. This is not meant to be any form of armor or the like - merely a way to distinguish our soldiers from the enemy while making them less...obvious.

The future of the coming war, and the world, could very well rest on the shoulders of the best and brightest minds money can buy. Good luck.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Territories (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 01:49:38 am by Man of Paper »

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile

On the speciality resource can we just choose something like titanium? Or will we have to design the thin and than call that our Specialty resource

This WW1 period so would creating a self-loading rifle with metal cartridges be in the plausible range, or would creating caplocks and bolt-action rifles be a much easier challenge. Can a refractor rifle scope be considered a offensive equipment; how about MMG emplacements and artillery howitzers are those because they can’t be wielded by personnel not considered “offensive”?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 09:40:34 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To clarify the design credits, we get them this turn to make the equipment specified or do we have to design that equipment this turn to get the credits?

EDIT:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 10:09:23 pm by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

I have a few design suggestions.

SA-CB-M3 "Deathbow":
Hypothetically, crossbows are outdated and useless. They would certainly seem to be shorter ranged and less deadly than firearms, but the Deathbow makes up for that. Using new composite bowstrings, the Deathbow has greatly enhanced range and projectile velocity. Why use the Deathbow when we could use firearms? Well, we don't have to give up firearms for the Deathbow, but the Deathbow has the advantage of being near completely silent. It gives no indication of where the user shot from. Perfect for sneak attacks and sniping. The rate of fire should actually be better than a few firearms, as the Deathbow is not a single shot crossbow, but a repeating crossbow that can fire up to six bolts before needing to be reloaded. Finally, the Deathbow's bolts are much more likely to result in a kill than the average bullet, seeing as we tip each one with a rather nasty tree frog poison that we've started to farm. The Deathbow definitely isn't going to be our primary infantry firearm, but it will be an amazing support weapon.

SA-SR-M3 "Heartpiercer":
The Heartpiercer is our primary infantry firearm. It's not a rifle. It's not a shotgun. It's both. We call it a shotrifle. The Heartpiercer fires metal 10 gauge special shells.. The trick is that the shells stay intact after firing, and separate a fair distance outside the barrel. The end result is that at close range, enemies basically get hit by a slug, but at moderate range, the shell separates and turns into a spray of shot. The separation occurs while the shell is close to the enemy, however, resulting in the equivalent of a short-range shotgun blast.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ehhh. I'd prefer a semi-automatic rifle as our first weapon, and the crossbow is... of rather limited utility. I like the shotgun but rifling a with a shot round is a bad idea. And shotguns as a primary weapon when our foe is likely to have rifles is not a good plan. Soft science doesn't mean we abandon practicality.

BUT, with that in mind, we should ensure that we get a good special material as well. Preferably a super metal if possible?

T1 Battle Rifle:
A semi-automatic rifle firing an efficient 6.5mm high velocity round, and feeding from a 15-round detachable magazine. Designed to allow a soldier to pour on a particularly large amount of fire by themselves, with a full squad able to unleash a hellish salvo upon their foes. Equipped with iron sights to make aiming easier for the user, and a pistol grip to help the weapon remain wieldable in close quarters, the T1 is a powerful, advanced main arm for an infantryman.

'Exor' Grenade:
This grenade differs from many in the inclusion of the stick handle. With a HE explosive (Which can be turned into a fragmentation grenade with a fragmentation casing ontop of the grenade), the grenade is suitable for lobbing into an enemy trench in an offensive action, as the HE charge of the grenade limits the explosive radius. The grenade is also capable of having multiple grenade heads on the one stick, allowing for a more powerful blast in exchange for weight.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile

Hi. Yes. I am here.

But here's a material:
A neat multi-purpose resource with potential! (I am accepting better names, please. Please.)
Specialty Resource: Gavrilium
Gavrilium is a resource unlike no other.
In a way, it could be compared to coal. Locked inside it is immense amounts of energy. Immense. But unlike coal,
Gavrilium is not only an intense source of power, but its structure is extraordinarily unique. We believe that through manipulation in mechanisms involving Gavrilium and in the refining of Gavrilium, we can do some truly awesome things that one normally wouldn't associate with "just" a power source. But most of its uses are theoretical. Until now, Gavrilium has been the pride of Salvios. The best-kept secret of our nation that allowed us to power our behemoths and factories where we'd normally not even have a few ounces of coal.

But with the rising hostilities, we're forced to put the mines into full production and start researching ways to turn this wondermaterial into a material of war. Sure, the secret may and probably will get out, but sacrifices must be made for the people of Salvios.

And an equipment design:
Design: Gavrilium Grenade (new names also good thanks)
Naturally, the first war-time use of Gavrilium our scientists game up with as explosives.
Gavrilium processed in the right way becomes a tad bit unstable (something we never thought as useful beyond blowing up factories that had messed up refining). So we put this unstable stuff in a special casing and hook it up to a pin.

The casing is designed to fall apart after it reaches the max height (assuming it's been primed), spreading Gavrilium-U everywhere. Which then explodes. Making for a very nice area of effect.

Quote from: Votebox
Special Resource:
Gavrilium (1): Chiefwaffles

Designs
SA-CB-M3 "Deathbow" (0):
SA-SR-M3 "Heartpiercer" (0):
T1 Battle Rifle (0):
'Exor' Grenade (0):
Gavrilium Grenade (1): Chiefwaffles
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 06:52:23 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ooohhh, that's also good. But the design is dependant on the resource. And we'd want that on a stick to ensure the user can throw it well away from them after arming.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I agree that we should do a fairly standard rifle for our primary firearm. Not sure if we should go for semi-auto, though- this is WWI tech, bolt-action might be better.
For our sidearm, though, I'd like to do something a bit more flashy.

Gravite Shortsword: Swords! Outdated, obsolete, purely decorative! Such is the prevailing wisdom.
The prevailing wisdom has failed to take into account the existence of Gravite.
Gravite is a metallic substance with unusual properties. However, until recently, it was no more than a curio; Gravite objects weigh different amounts depending on their orientation, which has for centuries baffled scientists. However, recent breakthroughs in theoretical physics indicated that Gravite might be more than just a curio- it might be one of the most important substances on the planet. An eccentric physicist by the name of Ernesto Pondus recently penned an article describing a theory of gravity that overturns the conventional model- something about family members? Professor Pondus also indicated that, properly treated, Gravite could be used to warp the effects of gravity significantly. By subjecting molten Gravite to a strong, mono-directional source of radiation, the molecules can be aligned, turning the random effects on gravity into a consistent, controllable phenomenon.
We've done this, creating bars of solid Gravite that float upwards, in defiance of conventional physics. The applications are endless, but for now, we've found a more humble usage- swords. By smithing bars of Aligned Gravite properly, one can create a blade that projects a gravitational field around itself that deflects objects with some force- crucially, sufficient force to bend the trajectory of bullets. A soldier holding a Gravite Shortsword in front of themselves is significantly less likely to get hit by enemy fire, to the point where it becomes possible to charge forth and smite the enemy with the sword's reasonably sharp blade.

Eh? Eh? I shouldn't need to point out the other potential applications of a gravity-manipulating substance.
Long Live United Forenia!

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Will read later
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like Gravite and definitely the Gravite Shortsword, but I'm not too keen on the general path Gravite would probably encourage us to take. I'm mostly aiming for more cool mechs and land-dreadnoughts, where Gravite would be more airships.

Not that it'd be a bad choice. If either Gravite or Gavrillium wins, I'd definitely support making the other in a design pretty soon.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, there were semi-auto rifles around WW1 tech, and this is being a little softer on the tech side of things so presumably it's doable. And would definitely make it easier to get stuff like SMGs as well.

As for gravite... eh, there's soft sci-fi, and then there's trying to outright break the rules of physics. I doubt that sort of thing would fly. And I'm not too keen on land dreadnoughts either. What we want is something that enables us to massively multiply our combat power whilst being distributable on a large scale.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Land dreadnoughts wouldn't necessarily be a starting design. Just something that could easily happen if we focused on Gavrillium.
Also, I'm pretty sure "soft sci-fi" is breaking the rules of physics.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, still. Actually, what about a material that could be used to make artificial musculature like myomer? Not only could we use it to make mechs and such, but we could equip our infantry with it too!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the intention of this game is pretty clearly to be (or at least start) WWI-themed. The soft aspect is intended to allow cool sci-fi-esque stuff, not just do OTL stuff 30 years ahead of time. Yes, semi-autos existed around WWI, but they weren't widely used until WWII, so I'd expect the GM to penalise us for not sticking to the theme.

If this game is MAR-inspired, Gravite shouldn't be outside the realm of possibility.
Long Live United Forenia!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm deathly afraid of anything that even vaguely approaches biotech (artificial musculature isn't really that close, but it's vaguely close) because we have Fallacy on our team.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 88