Hammer Time
- 3 (21.4%)
Time...to die.
- 6 (42.9%)
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
- 3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 88

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1917 A.C. Cold Season (COMPLETE)  (Read 93574 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, so long as we don't go into anything that is directly organic and or goes into a human body, we'll be safe from being catgirl'd.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On the speciality resource can we just choose something like titanium? Or will we have to design the thin and than call that our Specialty resource
Either, in the sense that you can choose to use a resource like titanium that we are wholly familiar with, or you can create one that utilizes properties you may require, such as a new lightweight and conductive metal, or a previously untapped energy source.

To clarify the design credits, we get them this turn to make the equipment specified or do we have to design that equipment this turn to get the credits?

You get them this turn to make the specified equipment.

Two more separate points of clarification:
1) So far the proposed materials fall within the realm of possibility.
2) I wouldn't stop you from attempting to do anything flashy with your weapons designs at this point, but the nations of the world are currently able to produce bolt-action rifles in large enough numbers to equip their armies. There are other ideas out there, but nothing tried and proven yet.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So essentially that means we have four designs to work with this turn?

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile

To clarify the design credits, we get them this turn to make the equipment specified or do we have to design that equipment this turn to get the credits?

You get them this turn to make the specified equipment.

So let me get things straight:
We have one Design, for whatever the heck we want.
We have one Design Credit; for a primary infantry weapon
And then another for basic, not armor uniforms? (This part is funnily enough the part that confuses me the most...)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile

I rather not make mechs, walking vehicles are extremely experimental and have many flaws associated with them with the main factors of giving them armor that doesn’t slow them horribly, and being extremely weak to anti-tank guns; it’s much more difficult to shoot treads than walker legs; also Behomeths Flashbacks and those things were so ineffective that even the hover air-cushion vehicles effectiveness had to be nerfed

Our designs are clear; MMG, Howitzer, and the others can be like a Rail Artillery and whatnot also a proper steam ship

I really don’t think a material is fine if iffy on some parts, and also counterpart to the bolt-action rifles still is that we get a design credit with them; also we get a design atop of the offensive equipment and weapon because Credits are used on this?

As for our uniforms can we please go practical here?, add dried greens and grey here for a versatile deceiving color, with a hint of chartreuse responding to our Merchant kingdoms

“Sentry” General-Purpose Air-Cooled Machine Gun: (Actual Design): This is a air-cooled, belt-fed, gas-operated machine gun that fires from a closed bolt with a hopefully cyclic rate of 450 rounds per minute, all made with high-quality steel that fires a full-power Rifle cartridge  of a 7.62mm.

This machine gun is operated by rotating the lever down and forward, which causes the breechblock to slide rearward away from the barrel and eject the spent round. This potato digger mechanism bears some similarities to the basic trigger lever action design, in effect though; it uses a trigger lever that is powered by the expanding gases that are propelling the bullet down the barrel, rather than the operator's hands. The machine gun has two medium-sized wheels on both of its sides for transporting it, and only weighs 16kg but another soldier supporting the gunner carries the ammunition
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 03:58:40 am by Shadowclaw777 »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Chartreuse might be a bit too vibrant. Rail artillery wasn't too effective, and we can't build a conventional navy IIRC. Going for the Semi-auto is a good course due to giving us a pretty big advantage over bolt-actions, and given the time period semi-autos aren't particularly uncommon.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yep, ultimately you have two designs with bonuses for meeting certain criteria (infantry firearm, offensive equipment), one for the basic uniform, and one for the resource that doesn't need to be decided immediately.

The uniform is meant to provide you with the ability to decide what your modern army looks like.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have only one requirement for our uniform them: Stahlhelms.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile

I rather not make mechs, walking vehicles are extremely experimental and have many flaws associated with them with the main factors of giving them armor that doesn’t slow them horribly, and being extremely weak to anti-tank guns; it’s much more difficult to shoot treads than walker legs; also Behomeths Flashbacks and those things were so ineffective that even the hover air-cushion vehicles effectiveness had to be nerfed
[SCREAMING]

This is a goddamn soft sci-fi Arms Race. I already had to deal with people yelling about mechs not being practical in an AR built around mechs.
Please. If we can on our first turn get gravity manipulation, then we can easily make mechs useful.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gravity manipulation isn't going to make mechs useful. Those limbs need to move and the anti-grav isn't going to move them.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's... not what I meant.

My point is that this is soft Sci-Fi. This isn't "real life but with a few tweaks" -- it's soft sci-fi. An explicitly-cited source of inspiration is Mad Arms Race. Mad Arms Race, in which bipedal mechs best heavily armored coilgun-armed battletanks. There is no real reason to say that "mechs don't work".
Mechs don't work like gravity manipulation doesn't work. It's completely unreasonable to argue that they don't in this setting, and I've seen the exact same thing before in Iron Behemoths which ended up making it a lot less unique.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not arguing we can't do mechs at all, just that we'd want a different material to actually manage that. I'd be happy to go with mechs and whatever, I'm just against one off wunderwaffen. IF we're going crazy, we're making sure we can output it in large amounts. And being sure we can do it in a somewhat coherent way.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mean, we definitely should do a NE at some point, but we have far betters things to do than that at the moment and in the near future.

I'm mostly just annoyed about Shadowclaw's disliking of mechs.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile

Even in a soft sci-fi WW1 Race, mechs still have the associated flaw that armoring them and their form of locomotion means that it has to be lighter compared to the traditional and more practical mechanical brethren, I’m not seeing any interest in those things and have little to negative interest in those things, also I’m not seeing treads being being banned so, or utilizing gravity alteration for the movement of treaded vehicles through rough terrain.

“Watcher” Universal Standard Issue Uniform: Made with rough leathers and thick padded material, this is a thick woollen tunic, with assorted dried greens and grey; and slightly prominent old-gold colored stripe around the sleeves to remind of the glory of the Merchant Empire. There are assorted pockets around the uniform tunic for miscellaneous items, with Rifle patches being sewn under the right flap of the lower tunic. The uniform carries heavy leather boots with shoulder straps that are sewn on and fastened with brass buttons, finally the helmet contains a ironclad Stalhelm for the soldier.

Edit: you define the rules of MAD race, there is little input I can provide there, the coilgun tank was a one-design thing that received minimal polish as we went “access to the Astral” realm, especially imagine if their walkers didn’t have access to mythological combat plating now, most of psionics are Blood Librarian’s idea and that’s what made we disinterested in our side. As well it also takes INSPIRATION from Iron Behomeths, a race that taken practical and the core theme of mechanized bipedal walkers failed for simple walker IFVs.

As well gravity-manipulation came from random idea Nuke sent out with a wonder sword, hmm
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 04:30:22 am by Shadowclaw777 »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As well it also takes INSPIRATION from Iron Behomeths, a race that taken practical and the core theme of mechanized bipedal walkers failed for simple walker IFVs.
Uh, no?
The players decided to never even try bipedals. EvictedSaint has been very clear about his regret in not pushing the players to go for them further. Ultimately the only two walkers in the entire game were designed by me: the Paradigm, and the Hippo/Rhino (which are based on the Paradigm). And they easily beat the hovercraft -- which were used for non-combat purposes; in fact, their greatest competition was near-identical walkers on the enemy's side.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 88