FEKHUGE
- 2 (10%)
I dream of profits because I'm secretly Salviosi
- 4 (20%)
Of Kinetic Sheep
- 11 (55%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 59

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: Abbera Thread / 1917 A.C. Cold Season (COMPLETE)  (Read 74905 times)

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hammer (1) Doombladr
Termagant Heavy Hover Tank (1) Jerick
The mines are currently a very big problem for us so I'm voting for a design that should clear the way somewhat.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hammer (1) Doombladr
Termagant Heavy Hover Tank (2) Jerick, frostgiant

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile

Hammer (1) Doomblade
Pernach Heavy Tracked Tank (1) Kashyyk

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hammer (1) Doomblade
Pernach medium assault gun (2) Kashyyk, m1895

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You mentioned on discord about having a faster more battle orientated version of the Pernach, could you post that one as well? Because to be honest I really do not like the current posted version. In its design, it is mentioned as a breakthrough vehicle and is clearly meant to clear paths through enemy mines for the rest of our forces but has a casemated main gun with a 60-degree arc. This thing should not ever be taking point for our forces. If it had a turret I'd fine with putting it out front where it would have to deal with the enemy field guns and armoured sleds, but when it only has a 60-degree firing arc before it needs to turn the whole vehicle that makes it extremely vulnerable. Anything to its sides is going to be able to hit it several times before it can bring its main weapon around to face them. Don't get me wrong casemate is great for mounting big weapons cheaply, but that only works if the vehicle has secure flanks.

edit: for some reason I thought this thing had dozer on the front to deal with mines which means the entire point I was making is mostly invalid as this is a tracked assault gun rather than a breakthrough vehicle as specified in the design. My apologies. But this lends itself to a new argument against it. Mostly in the vein of I think we should do something about these mines. A good heavy-medium tank (preferably one that hovers as we're very experienced with that tech and can make more manoeuvrable vehicles than actually existed) that can damage their fortifications and deal with their mines is something that would easily get my vote but I do not feel this is it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 06:10:58 pm by Jerick »

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

while I would prefer a hover version. I do believe an assault gun is our best choice for supporting our infantry and dealing with their fortifications. at least among our current choices.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hammer (1) Doomblade
Termagant Heavy Hover Tank (1) Jerick,
Pernach medium assault gun (3) Kashyyk, m1895, Frostgiant

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: The vanguard Medium hover tank
The vanguard is a caelium powered hover tank that is slightly larger than the Gendarme. It has a turret mounting a 100mm cannon and a coaxial scythe. This cannon borrows the recoil system from the Gorgon and adds k-wool padding to further reduce recoil. It has a variety of shells that can be fired including Rime, HE, Wickerman and AT. The turret has a built-in coincidence range finder and 2x optic for the gunner. The turret is turned by an electric motor allowing fast rotation. It is propelled by a number of aligned caelium thrusters, with a few on the sides allowing the tank to have more freedom of movement. Mounted on the front is a T shaped piece of metal. This piece of metal can be unfastened by a bolt and replaced easily in the field. Its purpose is to trigger enemy anti-tank mines early. At the back of the tank, there are force projectors similar to those that are used in deflection shields but are significantly weaker. These uniformly push down on the ground as the tank passes over it, triggering anti-personnel mines as it passes. The tank mounts a courier man radio to stay in contact with friendly forces. (Edit)The tank also has a sprayer system that can spray a mist of anti-rime agent. Since anti-rime agent is neither flammable or toxic it is safe to mount the tanks for it externally, saving on the already limited internal space of the vehicle.

In terms of armour, it has sloped armour with the following composition; an outer layer of 30mm cold steel, and then 6 layers each comprised of 1mm k-wool and 19mm of c-steel, all of this has a thin inner anti-spalling layer of k-wool. There is additional slat armour on top of that aimed at reducing the effectiveness of their ammunition. It's about 7mm. The rear of the tank is weaker in and has 10mm less cold steel.

Hammer (1) Doomblade
Termagant Heavy Hover Tank ()
Pernach medium assault gun (3) Kashyyk, m1895, Frostgiant
The vanguard Medium hover tank(1)Jerick
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 05:53:35 am by Jerick »

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hammer (1) Doomblade
Pernach medium assault gun (2) Kashyyk, Frostgiant
The vanguard Medium hover tank(2)Jerick, m1895
while I do still like the pernach, and I do have some doubts about the vanguard. The rangefinder, hover drive, and AP shell have won me over.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

Hammer (0)
The vanguard Medium hover tank(3)Jerick, Doomblade, m1895

I would like to remove the rime shell and add a system to spray  citric acid.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I knew I was forgetting something. I've kept the Rime shell for now but I've added in a citric acid sprayer.

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile

Hammer (0)
The vanguard Medium hover tank(4)Jerick, Doomblade, m1895, TFF

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Year 1917 A.C. Hot Season, Design Phase

Proposal: MHT-17 "Vanguard" Medium Hovertank
The vanguard is a caelium powered hover tank that is slightly larger than the Gendarme. It has a turret mounting a 100mm cannon and a coaxial scythe. This cannon borrows the recoil system from the Gorgon and adds k-wool padding to further reduce recoil. It has a variety of shells that can be fired including Rime, HE, Wickerman and AT. The turret has a built-in coincidence range finder and 2x optic for the gunner. The turret is turned by an electric motor allowing fast rotation. It is propelled by a number of aligned caelium thrusters, with a few on the sides allowing the tank to have more freedom of movement. Mounted on the front is a T shaped piece of metal. This piece of metal can be unfastened by a bolt and replaced easily in the field. Its purpose is to trigger enemy anti-tank mines early. At the back of the tank, there are force projectors similar to those that are used in deflection shields but are significantly weaker. These uniformly push down on the ground as the tank passes over it, triggering anti-personnel mines as it passes. The tank mounts a courier man radio to stay in contact with friendly forces. (Edit)The tank also has a sprayer system that can spray a mist of anti-rime agent. Since anti-rime agent is neither flammable or toxic it is safe to mount the tanks for it externally, saving on the already limited internal space of the vehicle.

In terms of armour, it has sloped armour with the following composition; an outer layer of 30mm cold steel, and then 6 layers each comprised of 1mm k-wool and 19mm of c-steel, all of this has a thin inner anti-spalling layer of k-wool. There is additional slat armour on top of that aimed at reducing the effectiveness of their ammunition. It's about 7mm. The rear of the tank is weaker in and has 10mm less cold steel.

Difficulty: Theoretical
Result: 9 (6+6-3) = Above Average

The Gendarme has proven it's worth, but it's becoming increasingly apparent that it is a foreign design. Using what we've learned of armored landships we've created our own Vanguard.

The body of the Vanguard was fairly simple to come up with - we've been using hovertrucks for years, so making a tank hover took a simple adjustment of numbers. While the 120mm KC Composite, additional 30mm Cold Steel armor (20mm in the back), and 7mm armor slats over the more vital areas of the tank are certainly heavy, we've created powerful, compact enough systems to manage to get it to hover without making it unnecessarily massive, but just so when under a combat load. A loosely-attached T-bar that can be pinned into a slot at the front of the tank works to trigger magnetic mines at a safe distance ahead of the Vanguard. There is a series of small gravitic projectors at the back of the tank, but they aren't too effective, instead forcing the rear of the Vanguard upwards by a few centimeters and kicking up dirt behind them. Notably though, when the projectors are disabled and the tank drops back to it's normal height it receives a small burst of forward momentum. Observers note a low screeching emanating from the vehicle while the projectors are active, but it's nothing more than light interference between the tank's gravity fields. The Vanguard can reach speeds of 30km/h.

The turret contains a 100mm gun hand-loaded with a wide variety of our different munitions, giving it a lot of flexibility at the front but little ability to maintain a consistent specific engagement type. The Vanguard can attain a rate of 8-10 rounds fired per minute. The kick of the gun is a little more powerful than the K-wool can compensate for, so four landing struts were added to the bottom of the tank to give it the ability to stabilize itself.

External tanks and sprayers outside the tank can be triggered to disperse a mist of chemicals around the tank (currently Citric acid for D-Gavrillium neutralization), but are vulnerable to small arms fire and shrapnel.

A radio allows the Vanguard to coordinate with one another as well as nearby forces.

While this "medium" tank performs fairly well, a relay switch responsible for the transmission of power to the forward gravitic drives often malfunctions. Design of the Vanguard means a crewman must exit the tank and make the repairs at the rear of the vehicle while exposed to the enemy. This is complicated further by the need to work around the Cold Steel plating and poor positioning of the relay.

The Vanguard is a sizeable vehicle at sizeable cost at 10 Ore, 5 Caelium5 Gavrillium, 4 Kinetic Sheep, and 3 Chemical Compounds, making it (Theoretical) and something we are unwilling to risk on the field at this point.

----------------

You've come up with a fantastic concept. It's time to decide to improve upon it further or alter something else. [I also think I forgot to add your espionage credit into the spoiler for the song last turn, lemme fix dat].

IT IS NOW THE REVISION PHASE.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Territories (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Special Rules (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Credits+Blueprints (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Salviosi Armory (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 01:34:40 pm by Man of Paper »

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Walkerman" portable radio
the Walkerman is a miniaturization of our current radio to allow it to be carried in a satchel or backpack.
it also includes "earpieces" consisting of a small antennae and speaker to allow a radioman to issue orders to their subordinates over short range comms. as an aside they will be encouraged to use personal codes when addressing subordinates over short range.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 59