Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Besiege - An Asymmetrical War Game - Craentich Fortress - Tuesday 02:00  (Read 2753 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Besiege - An Asymmetrical War Game - Craentich Fortress
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2018, 02:34:38 pm »

It sounds generally okay to me, except if we need to leave knights behind in the central yard to train archers. Can you weigh in on that Kashyyk? Also I think I'd prefer a Trebuchet just because we don't know if they'll be using Mantlets and Siege Towers, so a balista might not be useful (or maybe it would be better? It's kinda like a free marksmen hum?) as a Trebuchet if they bring other stuff. Also I feel like we might as well not waste a cycle not laying traps, lay them down somewhere to the north and if they start to go around us we can change our plans then. Also decision point: Any movement. So we can start rotating our guys right away. I think we'll be able to see them even past the ramparts.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2018, 03:26:47 pm »

It sounds generally okay to me, except if we need to leave knights behind in the central yard to train archers. Can you weigh in on that Kashyyk?

To train two units of archers would require two units of knights for teaching.

Also, to aid with deciding point planning: you will see any activity during daylight hours that does not occur at the enemy's Central Camp. Decision points can be made based on troops moving towards a staging area from the Main Camp.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2018, 06:53:50 pm »

Right, might as well bite the bullet and send two knights to the barracks to train new recruits (although wouldn't it make more sense if archers trained archers?) We can remove them from the north tower. I think if we don't start training recruits early it will hurt in the long run.

If you guys want we may as well start trapping the road to the north gate. That will be their fastest route to do serious damage to us so we might as well slow them down.

Quote from: Plan A
Troop Movement:
North Tower: 6 Archers, 2 Knights
North Courtyard: 10 Veterans, Hero
East Tower: 6 Archers
West Tower: 6 Archers
South Tower: 2 Archers, 1 Knight

Foundry:
Begin construction of a Ballista on the North Tower

Watchtower:
Start laying traps on the road to the north gate.

Barracks:
Begin training two Recruits as Archers. Two Knights are stationed here to conduct the training.

Decision Points:
Hold position until we get a good idea were enemies are going- so probably wait until we see some of them actually enter ramparts, or make their way to the west/east rampart without stopping. If they go to any of the northern/eastern areas, move an equal distribution of our veterans into position on the walls.

Quote from: Votes:
Plan A, Revised: (1) Sensei
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2018, 07:38:23 pm »

I like the concept behind the plan, but I've got a question:

Can we use our Recruits (the ones not being trained) as stretcher-bearers/hospital minions responsible for collecting casualties and moving them to the hospital? Or is this automatic?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2018, 09:35:43 pm »

I'm going to make a slight edit to your plan to explicitly add in the decision point if we see them leave the main camp, and also I think we should throw down the traps on the east or west way into the ramparts, given our ability to strike with out knights out the 6 north and south ramparts east and west are going to be our big weakness. I'm also adding in keeping all three knights together in the north courtyard, so in case they come at us from the north right away we can sally out with all our dudes... Not that we know the travel times, maybe doesn't matter. But could do. Come nightfall I'd be up for a redistribution.

Quote from: Plan B
Troop Movement:
North Tower: 6 Archers
North Courtyard: 10 Veterans, Hero, 3 Knights
East Tower: 6 Archers
West Tower: 6 Archers
South Tower: 2 Archers
Central Courtyard: 2 Knights, 20 recruits

Foundry:
Begin construction of a Ballista on the North Tower

Watchtower:
Start laying traps on the road to the Eastern Rampart

Barracks:
Begin training two Recruits as Archers.

Decision Points:
Enemies move out of the central camp.

Quote from: Votes:
Plan A, Revised: (1) Sensei
Plan B: (1) Cript

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2018, 04:02:46 pm »

Can we use our Recruits (the ones not being trained) as stretcher-bearers/hospital minions responsible for collecting casualties and moving them to the hospital? Or is this automatic?

This is automatic.

As Plans A & B are very similar, I will flip a coin in the morning if they are still tied.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2018, 04:08:56 pm »

Craentich Fortress - Monday 12:00 'til Monday 18:00

Plan A vs Plan B
Coinflip... Tails!
Proceeding with Plan B

During the next six hours soldiers are redeployed to the most likely locations of attack. The Towers and Gatehouses at the cardinal compass directions are manned, and infantry are stationed to defend the Northern Quarter.

Meanwhile, the various support buildings are a flurry of activity. Colour-coded flags are waved from the top windows of the Watch Tower, signalling the the deployment of traps to the East of the castle. Meanwhile the Foundry starts production of a Ballista at the Northern Gatehouse, and two squads of Knights begin teaching the basics of archery to some of the recruits. They'll be poor shots, but will know enough that sufficient volley fire will cut down the greenskins with impunity.

Speaking of, the watchmen report that no Greenskins have been sighted in the last six hours. Paranoid discussion about a stealth attack is squashed when a runner announces that the Rangers have confirmed that the enemy have not advanced towards any of the Staging Areas. Whatever they are doing, it doesn't yet involve getting closer to the castle.

Night will fall in 2 hours, and is dawn is expected at 8am tomorrow.

Spoiler: Statistics (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 09:50:33 am by Kashyyk »

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Besiege - An Asymmetrical War Game - Craentich Fortress - Monday 18:00
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2018, 09:24:35 am »

I agree, here's a plan with some traps to the west.

Quote from: A
Troop Movement:
2 Archers from North Gatehouse to NE Tower
2 Archers from North Gatehouse to NW Tower
2 Archers from East Tower to SE Tower
2 Archers from West Tower to SW Tower
1 Vet from N Courtyard to each Wall section
1 Vet to W Courtyard and E Courtyard
1 Knight from N Courtyard to S Courtyard
Hero to Central Courtyard
When Archers are finished being trained, send one to each Gatehouse

Foundry:
Finish construction of a Ballista on the North Tower and Start Construction of Ballista on Southern Tower

Watchtower:
Start laying traps on the road to the Western Rampart

Barracks:
Finish training two Recruits as Archers. Start training two Recruits as Archers.

Decision Points:
Enemies move out of the central camp.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 10:21:40 am by Criptfeind »

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2018, 09:36:10 am »

Shouldn't we move the new archers?
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2018, 09:40:21 am »

Right. I was thinking it doesn't actually matter at all until we see them move, a decision point, or night fall, presumably another decision point

But it's 18:00 now right? When does nightfall Kashyyk?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2018, 09:43:15 am »

I knew I forgot something. Night is from 8pm 'til 8am.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2018, 09:54:12 am »

Oh, interesting that it doesn't fall on a decision point. So if nightfalls in 2 hours, I guess we'd better set up an array of nightfall based defense. Given that we don't know how long it will take them to move their troops. And an unknown amount of them have dark vision, I'd suggest we reorientate our defenses to be more evenly spread.

Will we be able to see their darkvision units when they get to the Ramparts Kashyyk, or will we not know until they are climbing the walls?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2018, 10:04:53 am »

You can set Nightfall as a decision point trigger if you wish. Six hours is merely the maximum amount of time I'll run before asking for more orders.

Worst case scenario, you'll only notice the darkvision units when they have reached melee, however that requires them to do nothing overt, including but not limited to shooting at you, pushing siege towers and docking ladders to the wall.
Pages: 1 [2] 3