Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Besiege - An Asymmetrical War Game - Craentich Fortress - Tuesday 02:00  (Read 2782 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Besiege - An Asymmetrical War Game - Craentich Fortress - Monday 18:00
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2018, 10:14:25 am »

I think we should try to spread our units out during the night, given the potential of a sneak attack. But we'd spread super thin... We could do something like 2 archers per tower, and one vet per wall. And then have the rest of the archers and vets scattered around the squares, focusing on east and west as our knights have the north and south. With the hero maybe in the middle for the fastest response to anywhere? What do you guys think?

I edited in a redistribution of troops into my plan to spread them thinly but fairly evenly (more archers on the East and West, knights in the North and South). For your consideration.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 10:23:10 am by Criptfeind »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2018, 03:18:17 pm »

If they have torches, we will see them moving and therefore have time to redistribute troops anywhere. Of course, they've waited this long, so I'd put a pretty good chance they've got some plan that involves coming in completely dark. I'd accept moving our archers to be equally distributed (five on each tower).

Putting aside that we should pause if we spot the enemy moving, our next decision point should be in four hours. We'll finish training our archers then, as well as constructing the ballista.

They could also be waiting because they're preparing a siege engine, such as a battering ram. I would again support trapping the north road for this reason, so they can't bust up our gatehouse in a surprise rush (remember, if we spot them we can move people from the north end to the south end before they can, but not the other way around. Slowing their advance with traps will help.)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2018, 06:11:04 am »

We have a proposal from Criptfiend. Assuming no dissent, I'll roll with that tonight.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2018, 06:48:41 am »

I would again support trapping the north road for this reason, so they can't bust up our gatehouse in a surprise rush (remember, if we spot them we can move people from the north end to the south end before they can, but not the other way around. Slowing their advance with traps will help.)

The North road isn't an actual path that they go down. They have to attack from one of the 3 side camps, so we'll at least, during the day, get some warning before any attack (so we can't trap it either.)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2018, 03:55:42 am »

This still going on?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2018, 03:58:57 am »

It is, I've just hit a patch of IRL where my access to a device with an actual keyboard is limited. I promise this isn't dead.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Besiege - An Asymmetrical War Game - Craentich Fortress - Tuesday 00:00
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2018, 05:43:33 am »

You know what? I have a free hours with my phone. I should be able to write this. Let me know if you spot any errors.

Craentich Fortress - Monday 18:00 'til Tuesday 00:00

Quote from: A
Troop Movement:
2 Archers from North Gatehouse to NE Tower
2 Archers from North Gatehouse to NW Tower
2 Archers from East Tower to SE Tower
2 Archers from West Tower to SW Tower
1 Vet from N Courtyard to each Wall section
1 Vet to W Courtyard and E Courtyard
1 Knight from N Courtyard to S Courtyard
Hero to Central Courtyard
When Archers are finished being trained, send one to each Gatehouse

Foundry:
Finish construction of a Ballista on the North Tower and Start Construction of Ballista on Southern Tower

Watchtower:
Start laying traps on the road to the Western Rampart

Barracks:
Finish training two Recruits as Archers. Start training two Recruits as Archers.

Decision Points:
Enemies move out of the central camp.

As night falls, your forces distribute themselves across the castle and you notice how painfully thin they are spread. Hopefully the greenskins won't attack tonight.

All seems quiet however, as no movement is sighted before darkness falls, and the distant glow of the besiegers Main Camp is the sole light beyond the walls. Goblins (with their night vision) may have advanced under cover of darkness, but you can be sure that no other greenskins have left the camp.

Secure within the walls, your forces prepare further. Two companies of fresh faced archers are dispatched for the walls, and more recruits are pointed in the direction of the archery targets. The Ballista at the Northern Gatehouse has been completed as has a set of traps to the Western Ramparts. 

+2 Archers

-2 Recruits

Spoiler: Statistics (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 02:41:24 pm by Kashyyk »

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2018, 08:54:38 am »

Let's build a set of traps to the South.

And we should make our decision point enemy movement or the traps/ballista/archers finishing.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2018, 02:27:34 pm »

I'm going to vote for starting to trap the northern approaches, just because we've not seen any movement yet, and we still don't know how long it takes to move around us, but at this point it'd take 4 traps to trap the northern approaches which then covers 2/3 of the zones, or 3 for the south which only covers a single zone that is furthest from them attacking us from.

Quote from: Cript Plan
Troop Movement:
N/A

Foundry:
Continue Construction of Ballista on Southern Tower

Watchtower:
Start laying traps on the road to the North-Western Rampart

Barracks:
Continue training two Recruits as Archers.

Decision Points:
Spotting Enemies in the night I guess?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2018, 02:33:22 pm »

Sounds good enough to me, to be honest.  Except, I don't know if they can move siege engines under cover of darkness, do maybe instead of focusing on the gate we should start putting anti-ladder-poles up in a few places. We also might want to train some spearmen. I suspect that if they're advancing in the dark, we won't get an opportunity to attack them at range, and we will close straight to melee. Spearmen train faster and are probably a match for goblins, so we can get started on that and maybe train some into veterans later.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2018, 02:40:35 pm »

Please note. I've realised that the Watchtower is hilariously underpowered, so I have edited it. Traps now kill three units, and siege engines can be sabotaged in only three hours. Your traps will be updated retroactively.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2018, 03:15:35 pm »

Honestly probably focusing on the south gate was a mistake given how they don't seem to be moving outside their main area (except maybe goblins), I wouldn't mind moving the foundry actions to other pursuits. I'm not sure about ladder poles though, given that we don't really have a good idea of how they are going to attack I'm afraid that we could end up making ladder poles and then they never use ladders to attack.

As for spearmen vs archers. Well, I'm just not sure about how combat works to make a real decision there. I thought archers sounded good because they fight as good as spearmen during combat, but get a free attack at the start, presumably making them as good as veterans in the first round of combat. So it really depends on how long we can expect combat to go. If combat is just about a round, archers are better, and they are fairly equal if combat goes for two rounds (archers are better then veterans during round two but worse then spearmen, but both pretty minor differences) veterans become better during the third round of combat. But if archers are killing enemy units even before combat starts, we'll fall into lanchester's law and archers will be better for much longer then they originally appear. Archers also have the side benefits of being able to turn into marksmen and to cover walls one section away instead of veterans presumable zero sections away, But without any idea of how combat works it's impossible to make the determination of what's better and if those additional benefits are worth anything. For all we know units could have different levels of durability that completely changes these calculations or something.

Also apparently some enemy units are ranged. No idea how good they are, but maybe they might have enough to like, try to shoot off our defenders, in which case we'd need archers to defend against such attacks.

As for them getting directly into melee during night, Kashyyk said they can only do that if they don't do anything else including things like using ladders. I don't know if there's a way they can actually get on our walls without us noticing. Like maybe some goblins can climb walls? But, once again it's more hidden information but it seems like they probably can't do that if we have intact walls.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 03:17:11 pm by Criptfeind »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2018, 10:55:25 pm »

Honestly probably focusing on the south gate was a mistake given how they don't seem to be moving outside their main area (except maybe goblins), I wouldn't mind moving the foundry actions to other pursuits. I'm not sure about ladder poles though, given that we don't really have a good idea of how they are going to attack I'm afraid that we could end up making ladder poles and then they never use ladders to attack.
Unless they have a flying unit or something (and if they do, it won't be the majority of their forces) then their only means of attack are destroying a gate, putting ladders up a wall, or destroying a wall, I'm pretty sure. In fact, thinking on that, it might be wise to get both ladder poles and trebuchets in our east and west towers, weakening their two means of attack there, and we can probably afford to concentrate our forces around the gates. I'd start with the ladder poles first, since I'm sure it's faster for them to make ladders than siege engines.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2018, 08:25:02 am »

We know they have Siege Towers at least, which are probably like ladders that at the least can't be pushed away with poles and probably have a higher throughput of troops and protect from archers.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Besiege - An Asymmetrical War Game - Craentich Fortress - Tuesday 02:00
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2018, 10:58:39 am »

Craentich Fortress -  Tuesday 00:00 'til Tuesday 02:00

Quote from: Cript Plan
Troop Movement:
N/A

Foundry:
Continue Construction of Ballista on Southern Tower

Watchtower:
Start laying traps on the road to the North-Western Rampart

Barracks:
Continue training two Recruits as Archers.

Decision Points:
Spotting Enemies in the night I guess?

Two Hours into Second Watch, you receive a hurried messenger. The greenkskins are on the move. Torches have been spotted in the distance, making their way to the East and West Staging Areas. The soldiers estimate 17 units moving west, and 13 moving east, and they are about two hours away from their destination. Being dark and at a distance, there's a significant margin of error in those numbers, but as they are the first sightings of the enemy from the castle itself it is definitely worth additional thought.

Sunrise is in six hours.

Spoiler: Statistics (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 2 [3]