Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - NEXT is out!  (Read 24696 times)

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
No Man's Sky - NEXT is out!
« on: July 25, 2018, 10:41:51 am »

I was looking at the most recent threads and found nothing about this gem, even though it's currently making the buzz all around gaming websites.

If you have never heard of it (or the corresponding hype train that it unknowingly created), No Man's Sky is a procedurally generated space sandbox / sim, where you can now step into the shoes of one of four races: Gek (small shrewish birds who love profit), Korvax (dickish supercomputers), Vy'keen (noble warrior race) or Humans/Anomalies (us/also us). You can discover stuff, harvest plants, sightsee planets, create galactic hubs or blow things up as a pirate, among many other things.

It is currently on its 1.5 iteration, Next, which brings a squad-based multiplayer and random encounters. PvP capabilities have yet to be seen.

This is the scale and distribution of one of the many (255 afaik) playable galaxies.

The rather infamous reddit community, where all the flames started, is now a startlingly upbeat place. Has lot of screenies and additional info.

Did you buy the game during release and stuck with it? Were you caught in the refund wave, only to have purchased it back on discount? Is this all new and enticing to you?

Discuss (edit: and let's keep it civil, please).
Good to see that people can talk about NMS without a thread getting locked again.

Will update accordingly with links and additional info over time.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 10:21:43 pm by Valtam »
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - NEXT is out!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 10:47:51 am »

>  startlingly upbeat place

yeah NEXT basically is NMS as envisioned, I was one among many here rightfully skeptical about the ordeal and even I can see there's quality now.

I'll wait for reviews to appear, if it's any good I might consider a buy.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 10:50:49 am »

Wouldn't touch it until it's out for two weeks.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 11:03:44 am »

Skeptical as hell, also, I really don't like how I've seen it presented in articles I've read. More stuff to do, but still doesn't seem like there's much game here. Devs are to be commended for rolling out the updates in the face of some serious backlash, but... well it WAS all stuff that was supposed to be there from the start.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 11:40:12 am »

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/zmk4w8/we-spent-an-hour-talking-to-hello-games-about-everything-no-mans-sky

Pretty good interview with Sean Murray just before release of NEXT.

It's not a game for everyone, they didn't target a large audience. If you like space sims, want a relaxing screen shot producer, or want to veg out, NMS is your thing.

There's plenty to do. Base building, missions, a story, freighter missions, exploration and discovery, trading, and some light combat. It's more of a "Minecraft in Space" now than anything I can think of. It's not Elite Dangerous or Star Citizen, No Man's Sky is its own beast. Less focus on realism, more retro-futuristic.

I'm a day one player, so I've seen every update. NEXT is seriously No Man's Sky 2, IMO. So much changed that it's a whole other game.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 11:51:41 am »

> No Man Sky 2

now now let's not get ahead of ourselves with the hype with this last patch NMS is, like, delivering 80% of what was promised originally.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 12:12:04 pm »

If it helps, I was one of the most avid haters of no men's sky's maligned launch. I bought it, regretted it, and haven't played since, only stepping back in last week with the PREVIOUS patch to play a few hours to see what is different in the next update.

The short story is, everything.

From crafting to flying mechanics to space to the awesome drop in drop out multiplayer, it's all there. There's even a crafting refinery system a-la factorio!

I for one have turned my frown upside down with this game, much to my surprise!

Poysky Productions

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 12:49:22 pm »

Judging by steam reviews, it really has come around. The overall review score is still low (though not as much as it used to be), but recent reviews is sitting at a solid 83%. It's enough to tempt me, really.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 01:25:21 pm »

PTW. Good to see that people can talk about NMS without a thread getting locked again.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 02:58:42 pm »

i kinda enjoyed the recent versions of nms but it had some problems with performance with me. i can play fo4, heavily modded, with 30+ actors in a fight at one time on high settings with minimal lag. i land on a simple snowy planet and jump out of my ship to find isotopes only to find the lag has turned all the snow into pudding i have to slug through.

willing to give this a try when i can. we need to make a bay12 discord and play sometime
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 03:05:20 pm »

So far on my PS4 Pro the only problem I've had is a little audio glitches, some graphic weirdness and I had to limit the screen resolution to 1080p to keep my PS4 from sounding like my space ship taking off.

Otherwise, it's been great. There's already a bug fix patch in submission, and HG is really good on patching stuff after release.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 03:08:23 pm »

i kinda enjoyed the recent versions of nms but it had some problems with performance with me. i can play fo4, heavily modded, with 30+ actors in a fight at one time on high settings with minimal lag. i land on a simple snowy planet and jump out of my ship to find isotopes only to find the lag has turned all the snow into pudding i have to slug through.

willing to give this a try when i can. we need to make a bay12 discord and play sometime

Curious. How is your GPU? I think NMS is GPU heavy, because I get amazing performance in NMS but fallout 4 I get terrible performance. This is usually because my CPU is junk+motherboard is old+ram is old, so any game relying on the CPU tanks fps hard on my system. Where as, more GPU oriented games I get 60 fps easy. Which is a GTX 970 4gb card.

Like Witcher 3...I can run that game on everything max+mods+hairworks full...60 fps. I was surprised how well it ran because even at release, some complained of performance.

Skyrim Legendary Edition/Special Edition/Fallout 4 I'm lucky to get 30 fps without mods at all. Despite Witcher 3 being far far more intensive it runs so much better. My guess is its because it makes far better use of the GPU (at least thats my theory, not very tech savvy)

I dunno your system though or how good your GPU is compared to your CPU. But NMS has always ran amazing for me, but I bet its cause it makes a use more of the GPU than the CPU. But if you have a good GPU as well, then I dunno.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 03:43:29 pm »

Any opinions on PC vs Console for this game? Keyboard+Mouse vs Controller?

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 06:31:12 pm »

I'm very tempted, although still distrustful after the failed launch. I suppose my main concern is performance. I have a medium end rig with a medium end GPU (GTX 1050ti). I don't necessarily want to run it on max settings, and graphics have never concerned me in games, but I do want to at least get immersed a bit and enjoy some nice visuals. (You know, like in starbound when you find that perfect spot with the sun setting, but in 3D).
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 08:53:47 pm »

I agree that waiting about two weeks is a good idea. But a "Chill space game" is what should be expected at maximum. Although the game is much better now, the "Meh" still creeps around it.
If "Chill resource gathering" sounds good to you, it's worth trying.

I still have to put in more hours to see if later game content is cool, especially if there's things aimed at co-op parties.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14