Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ideas?  (Read 1075 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2023, 01:48:22 am »

Natuk is free now, also Pirates of the Western Seas. I think I learned about Dwarf Fortress on that forums before it disappeared.
https://proudft.com/

Sierra (name of a shuttered company) went out of business a little before that, so that might be a good recommendation; I think many of them are on GoG. Things like Caesar series. Also their flight sims were a lot of fun back in the day. Red Baron 2 was the best of the lot. Red Baron 1 was also fun, and the Aces over (x) were as well though those would seem even more dated than RB2. The last I looked up Red Baron 2 there was an actively developed derivative of Red Baron 2 crafted by a flight sims forum or something that's still available for moneys somewhere on the internet that looked like it could be still good. There was even a WW2 nazi submarine simulator called Aces of the Deep in that Aces bundle which was pretty good for it's time, though I wished you could play as Allied subs too. I'd recommend as still fun their Civil War Generals 2, the updated version that allows you to play the Union, subtitled something like Grant Lee Sherman. They also made or published King's Quest series (I played the one with female characters; it was more of a story driven and puzzle game and apparently was different from others in the series) and the trivia series You Don't Know Jack (which was fun to play with two to four people). There was also a game where you were on a whacky submarine and collected weird fish that I think was a Sierra game that I thought was cool back then but can't remember the name of now. They also published Empire Earth which was a better Age of Empires clone, of which there were many at the time.

Oregon Trail 2 and beyond should work on it, maybe not the later ones. Also Amazon Trail and Africa Trail if you don't mind some educational oriented titles. Yukon Trail was kind of meh. I almost beat Africa Trail once, being somewhat young, but I thought it was funny to linger in villages to deplete my other food, if they sold foods I thought were amusing to unnecessarily subject the bikers to. Despite always taking the doctor bike-henchman, the main character still managed to contract bubonic plague towards the last third of the journey from making everyone eat as many as 4 bicycle loads of rats and beheaded cobras. I haven't found a version that works in newer OS or I'd have made it eventually.

If you want to learn far more than you'll ever need to know about the fish of the Great Barrier Reef, check out Odell Down Under. It has a neat mode where you advance from the tiny plankton eater Silver Sprat all the way to great white shark, which fears only another great white shark and can eat pretty much everything but algae, though you would really need to focus on taking out other great whites before they ate you. I liked playing one of the tangs that had a special attack and could murder other fish with it's spiky fin as long as they weren't too large. Take that, variegated lizardfish! The ray with the electricity generating organs also could do that, but it wasn't as small and was easier to play as long as you knew to hide in the caves to escape predators. However, IIRC you could torment even the largest fish with the electric shock.

Close Combat series should also work on it. CC2: A Bridge Too Far is better than CC1 as it added some mechanics so I'd recommend skipping CC1. Some of the early ones had remakes later on, I have the CC3 remake on a scratched to unreadable disc somewhere. Here is a link to a CC3 Let's Play in the subforum here (I didn't watch the  youtube videos containing the LP as mentioned in the link so I dunno what they contain)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=179120.0
With all the satellite imagery nowadays, a weird thing to me is that they look like Close Combat maps.

A game called MDK 2 was also pretty great for it's era, I think that would work. The scientist character's weapon was a toaster that fired radioactive toast, though his levels were usually a PITA and I liked the other two characters more as they were less on puzzles and more on shooting robots or space aliens or whatever the enemy was, I forget.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 03:03:12 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 [2]