Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - NEXT is out!  (Read 24693 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - NEXT is out!
« Reply #150 on: October 18, 2020, 09:20:18 am »

So, I've seen this game compared to elite dangerous, and both being described as shallow. Which is MORE shallow? Which will I get bored of sooner?

No Man's Sky has less combat, but more exploration. Also, it's probably jankier.

But it is a good game when it works.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 19, 2020, 02:53:36 am »

Yes nms has evolved into a decent game... when you aren't falling to your death in a freighter because the floor decided it didn't want to have collision today, and it autosaves that death because "hey no savescumming you filthy cheater" and you lose all your shit, and have to fix half of the tech you had on you using materiels you no longer have, that you need tech to harvest that you no longer have.

Or you are working on a base on a planet and the floor again decides that it's tired of being a floor and you again fall to death, this time losing multiple stacks of mats.

Or you buy a ship for 20 million units, and when you land on a planet the ship suddenly transforms into an entirely different class of ship worth less than half of what you paid and all of your inventory is again, just gone because the game lost track of the ship you bought and decided to just respawn it as an entirely new ship with the inventory wiped.

Or you use an anomaly scanner and you drop out of pulse jump when it says only for you to have dropped out of jump inside whatever the anomaly is and your ship blows up.

NMS is a great game, when it wants to be.  But it has a tendency to tell you "Well you have been having too much fun, lets change that".  I do still play it, hell I've been playing it quite a bit in the last couple weeks.  But you need patience.

EDIT: The reason I still play it despite the problems is because the devs could have just done a few token updates after that legendarily bad launch and dropped it like a used diaper.  But they didn't, they are still working on the game, they are still trying to make good on their promises.  I can think of a couple big name billion dollar studios that couldn't even be bothered doing that.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 03:31:44 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 19, 2020, 07:37:30 am »

and the tech almost never learn the grind. game is half decent, visuals are great, combat meh, but going around discovering stuff is a good loop.

if it weren't for the grind I'd play more

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #153 on: October 19, 2020, 08:10:21 am »

If the grind is all that gets you down, remember the game isn't an MMO with server side checking and anti-cheat precautions. 30 seconds with cheat engine and you can have all the credits and nanites you need so you can enjoy the parts of the game you actually like

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 19, 2020, 09:11:19 am »

I've tried on three different occasions to get into NMS, and every time it feels like the game wants me to die in five minutes and then laugh at me. In ye old days is was the red mineral (plutonium? I don't remember) that it made rare and made required to survive in the early game. In this edition, it appears to be sodium. This time around, I had gotten the metal plate on my ship, started toward the signal 800u away and got hit with a radiation store with no sodium plants anywhere around that I uninstalled it again and decided I could find better things to do with that hard drive space. There are other survival games I enjoy way way more.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 19, 2020, 09:20:12 am »

No Man's Sky is a vast ocean of shallow water.  It's a game I'd really like to enjoy, it's just there's so very little to actually do.  I mean there's plenty of things to "do" like get that freighter or journey to the center of the universe, but there's no real point in doing any of it beyond "you gotta make your own fun out of it".  Other sandbox and survival games usually have a driving factor in other players and how you interact with them, but NMS the multiplayer aspects are very very thin and you're definitely not running into random players out in it's universe.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 19, 2020, 10:15:42 am »

I've tried on three different occasions to get into NMS, and every time it feels like the game wants me to die in five minutes and then laugh at me. In ye old days is was the red mineral (plutonium? I don't remember) that it made rare and made required to survive in the early game. In this edition, it appears to be sodium. This time around, I had gotten the metal plate on my ship, started toward the signal 800u away and got hit with a radiation store with no sodium plants anywhere around that I uninstalled it again and decided I could find better things to do with that hard drive space. There are other survival games I enjoy way way more.

I think the storm is a story thing (they can also randomly happen, but usually don't unless you're on an extreme planet). You're supposed to build your entire base as soon as you start building your base. However, the storm won't start until after you've put down the base computer.

No Man's Sky is a vast ocean of shallow water.  It's a game I'd really like to enjoy, it's just there's so very little to actually do.  I mean there's plenty of things to "do" like get that freighter or journey to the center of the universe, but there's no real point in doing any of it beyond "you gotta make your own fun out of it".  Other sandbox and survival games usually have a driving factor in other players and how you interact with them, but NMS the multiplayer aspects are very very thin and you're definitely not running into random players out in it's universe.

It is that. A lot of base building appears to be to produce plants that give rare-ish resources that you only need for further base-building.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 19, 2020, 02:55:20 pm »

I think the storm is a story thing (they can also randomly happen, but usually don't unless you're on an extreme planet). You're supposed to build your entire base as soon as you start building your base. However, the storm won't start until after you've put down the base computer.

Sounds like he was still on the early ship-repairing phase. The way to survive storms early on is to enter a structure or cave.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 19, 2020, 04:30:21 pm »

This was right after I found my ship, and stuck the metal plate on. The next MacGuffin (plasma something?) needed required taking the planetary map out of the distress beacon, then walking 800u to someplace on the map. Rad storm hit at about the halfway point.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 19, 2020, 08:59:25 pm »

Yea that was my experience with beginning game this playthrough as well.  Didn't even remember how to build a base computer even though I played before. 

And I died probably 6 times before I got my ship out into space.  Me and a friend really think the game needs to force you onto a temperate planet for your first spawn.  It's not like temperate planets seem particularly uncommon.

For the record we spawned on a planet that was naturally super cold we died from cold 3 times before we even found our ships, and the needed mat was only 500u away but still a death sentence without shelter.  fortunately after we died the thing spawned in the ship beacon.  (E: We are currently set up on an extreme weather planet that is arguably safer than the planet we started on because you don't need hazard protection in normal weather.)

« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 09:18:47 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 21, 2020, 07:47:22 am »

I think the fact that you're on an extreme planet and the storm is deliberately scripted. It has happened with every start I've ever done. I'm pretty sure it's meant to teach you the survival aspect - both finding/carrying enough sodium to keep your life support charged, and finding cover to stay in. The problem is, with terrain being randomized, there's no guarantee there's a cave between the ship and the target it gives you, and it is too far to make it on base life support without a stockpile of sodium, which you won't have. (I've even died before the storm just because there was only ever, like, 1 plant of sodium around spawn before reaching the ship.) The storm deliberately starts at the halfway point, so either you try to power through to your destination or you turn around to run back to your ship as fast as possible (probably failing in either direction since you're in the middle anyway). I'm not sure if the tutorial/hints even suggest that you could find cover from the storm in a cave, but that could just be my faulty memory.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #161 on: October 21, 2020, 08:30:15 am »

I've done the start 3 times now, I always spend a few minutes wandering around to find a supply of sodium before I set out because the storm always happens. With a few recharges you can easily make it through.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 21, 2020, 09:15:49 am »

Yup, the first planet you spawn on will always have a hazardous atmosphere with storms.  It's purposeful so as to lead you through what you can potentially experience while exploring and teaching you how to handle it.  It's a tutorial planet.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 21, 2020, 11:36:01 am »

Yup, the first planet you spawn on will always have a hazardous atmosphere with storms.  It's purposeful so as to lead you through what you can potentially experience while exploring and teaching you how to handle it.  It's a tutorial planet.

It's supposed to be, but they also wanted it to be random, and also not teach you how to figure it out. So it's mostly just a manic scramble to find the basics while trying to figure out what is going on, and frequently failing without knowing why or being able to affect it. Where the actual solution is "just have collected some stuff from other planets so you're ready" or "use your terrain manipulator (which you don't start with) to dig towards the nearest cave."
"Go collect some sodium before you die." "how?" "Fix your scanner first, die 3 times, then hit c to find the Na symbol." [dies 3 times] "There isn't any/enough nearby." "Oh, get fucked then."
"There's a storm, find a cave for safety." "How?" "Lol, good luck, idiot." "I didn't find one." "Oh, get fucked then." Just tell me to run towards the nearest diamond with III in it, because it's probably some humming sacs in a cave.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 23, 2020, 07:36:07 am »

I love how No Man's Sky is still buggy as all get out. Teleport from station to planet where my tutorial base is, still on virgin soil, and the base is now a meter below the surface. All the short components like the base computer and refinery are below the ground. I had popped in under the surface and fell several meters before it popped me above ground. A lot of the basic mechanics are still as annoying as when first released. Two completely different fuels for takeoff and flight and I'm not even warp capable yet.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14