Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - NEXT is out!  (Read 24767 times)

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - NEXT is out!
« Reply #165 on: October 23, 2020, 07:52:07 am »

Yup, the first planet you spawn on will always have a hazardous atmosphere with storms.  It's purposeful so as to lead you through what you can potentially experience while exploring and teaching you how to handle it.  It's a tutorial planet.

It's supposed to be, but they also wanted it to be random, and also not teach you how to figure it out. So it's mostly just a manic scramble to find the basics while trying to figure out what is going on, and frequently failing without knowing why or being able to affect it. Where the actual solution is "just have collected some stuff from other planets so you're ready" or "use your terrain manipulator (which you don't start with) to dig towards the nearest cave."
"Go collect some sodium before you die." "how?" "Fix your scanner first, die 3 times, then hit c to find the Na symbol." [dies 3 times] "There isn't any/enough nearby." "Oh, get fucked then."
"There's a storm, find a cave for safety." "How?" "Lol, good luck, idiot." "I didn't find one." "Oh, get fucked then." Just tell me to run towards the nearest diamond with III in it, because it's probably some humming sacs in a cave.

This. For a developer that seemed to want to make a game about the marvel of exploring new places, the game at start feels like a medium-core roguelike with gameplay (and a community) constantly telling me to "git gud". I enjoy some games like that, I just didn't think that was the game NMS wanted to be.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 23, 2020, 08:23:44 am »

Yup, the first planet you spawn on will always have a hazardous atmosphere with storms.  It's purposeful so as to lead you through what you can potentially experience while exploring and teaching you how to handle it.  It's a tutorial planet.

It's supposed to be, but they also wanted it to be random, and also not teach you how to figure it out. So it's mostly just a manic scramble to find the basics while trying to figure out what is going on, and frequently failing without knowing why or being able to affect it. Where the actual solution is "just have collected some stuff from other planets so you're ready" or "use your terrain manipulator (which you don't start with) to dig towards the nearest cave."
"Go collect some sodium before you die." "how?" "Fix your scanner first, die 3 times, then hit c to find the Na symbol." [dies 3 times] "There isn't any/enough nearby." "Oh, get fucked then."
"There's a storm, find a cave for safety." "How?" "Lol, good luck, idiot." "I didn't find one." "Oh, get fucked then." Just tell me to run towards the nearest diamond with III in it, because it's probably some humming sacs in a cave.

This. For a developer that seemed to want to make a game about the marvel of exploring new places, the game at start feels like a medium-core roguelike with gameplay (and a community) constantly telling me to "git gud". I enjoy some games like that, I just didn't think that was the game NMS wanted to be.

The game was released 4 years ago and announced 7 years ago. Seven years of development. It's exactly what it wants to be.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 25, 2020, 01:45:05 pm »

I hate to be that guy, but--- you guys DO know that even when the ship is not powered, it still functions as life support/shelter, right?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 25, 2020, 03:38:11 pm »

Yea absolutely.  But when the item you need to fix the ship is 500 units away on a planet that even in calm weather kills you even sprinting within 450 units and the game does not tell you that sodium restores your hazard protection (IF you find any) going underground only stops the loss and does not restore it, and yer not told how to make shelter yet.  The game has a very frustrating start.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 25, 2020, 07:20:43 pm »

The beginning of the game is definitely the most difficult (unfortunately...).

You are advised about sodium recharging your hazard protection - atlhough I think maybe you need to repair your scanner first.  Scan for sodium it will be there.  Also natural caves definitely restore hazard protection as long as you are beyond the entry threshold.

Pro tip for game start, find the nearest cave and run inside.  From here you can pop out to harvest the needed carbon (multi-tool recharge) and ferrite dust (early component building/repairs) and maybe even a little sodium before returning to the cave to recharge the hazard protection for free.  Double bonus is with ferrite dust (basically shoot any rock) and cobalt (from the stalagmites found in caves) you can craft ion batteries which fully recharge your hazard suit.  Similarly with life support: although it can be recharged with oxygen in a pinch you are much better off crafting life support gel from carbon and dihydrogen gel (crafted in turn from dihydrogen crystals).  Make a few of each and you are set.

That said I'm pretty sure on my last/current run I could not find a cave for the life of me and it worked out fine.  ;)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 26, 2020, 09:24:06 am »

I didn't seek out a cave. I just made sure to chug sodium and even then didn't have much trouble without it. This was in the middle of the fire wave for about 300 meters of the walk that triggers the event. I just zigged and zagged a bit to sodium. The beginning isn't hard, it's just a dumb slow resource gathering loop where half your time is just spinning in place that lasts well beyond the usual return policy for the game.
The bugs that happen throughout your entire playthrough are the most difficult part of the game. Half of them seem related to hit boxes. Making a game is hard but there are a dozen younger open world sci fi games that don't have these issues. I make something static and I expect it to not change position when I leave and come back.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 26, 2020, 08:44:18 pm »

Ah see I wasn't aware of going deeper actually restoring hazard protection.  When I first played the cave was full of things that hurt me when I got too close to them so I assumed going deep in caves was more dangerous than the surface, which games like Terraria, Starbound, and Minecraft taught me.  And I must have missed the notice on sodium.

At any rate just encountered one of the reasons why the game can still be fun after earlygame and why early game needs to let up a bit to keep people from being turned off by it so they can enjoy the actual fun stuff.

I was flying my ship low over a planet, I was trying to scan all the flora and fauna on it, and I decided to go out to the ocean to see if there were some plants I was missing there that weren't in the lakes I searched earlier.  Boosting along looking for an island to land on to search. I find an islans and a storm starts, I boost towards the island and smack into some large structure jutting out of the water.  I go around it but can't tell what it is because its storming.  I park and wait out the storm.  Once the storm ends I see its much smaller than I thought, so I figure swim over to check it out, it looks pretty small so I won't need anything special, and the water in the lakes have not been too bad.  Then I take a glance underwater.

I changed my mind on exploring it and noped the heck outta there.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 29, 2020, 12:43:28 am »

Just as I was leaving realized that I had been in a dual star system.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 29, 2020, 11:45:31 am »

Is there a better site for mods than Nexus?

Edit: Disregard, I forgot about nomansskymods.com
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 11:51:09 am by Niveras »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 14, 2020, 03:55:39 am »

Just bought the game and am glad they made up for all the lies. It's incredibly fun but I can't help but want to smash my keyboard when the game crashes just before completing an hour long nexus quest.

Even with reduced settings, the game keeps crashing randomly  :(

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 17, 2020, 07:35:58 pm »

So I warped into this system next to a fleet. Shot down 5-6 ships with next to no effort, and the freighter captain was just like "hey, do you want this 29 million credit S grade frigate for free?".

That seemed waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too easy.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 17, 2020, 09:11:49 pm »

So I warped into this system next to a fleet. Shot down 5-6 ships with next to no effort, and the freighter captain was just like "hey, do you want this 29 million credit S grade frigate for free?".

That seemed waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too easy.

Yeah, I don't think the attacking force is related to the quality of the freighter you get in any way. Congratulations, it's tough to find an S grade for free even if you're timing your jumps to only go to rich galaxies when the freighter is going to show up.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 17, 2020, 09:38:36 pm »

Congrats.  I saved/reloaded for several hours to get the one I wanted.  Didn't help that I was being picky about the colours/design/crew, but I'm happy now every time I play.  :)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 18, 2021, 12:05:49 am »

For any of you who aren't paying attention, NMS just dropped a pet-taming-and-breeding update. Things are about to get weirder...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 18, 2021, 07:41:51 am »

For any of you who aren't paying attention, NMS just dropped a pet-taming-and-breeding update. Things are about to get weirder...

I'm amazed at how they keep pushing out this amount of stuff for literally free, since they more than covered the initial vision. Not my cup of tea, but kudos
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14