Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - NEXT is out!  (Read 24756 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - NEXT is out!
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2018, 03:40:59 pm »

At least in NEXT it's crazy easy to make units. Exploring ruins, scanning stuff (be sure to have good mods for your scanner), mining/farming/crafting stuff...

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2018, 04:22:44 pm »

At least in NEXT it's crazy easy to make units. Exploring ruins, scanning stuff (be sure to have good mods for your scanner), mining/farming/crafting stuff...

Yeah I got a 5006% increase in units from scanning mod plus a scanning speed one and I'm picking up loads of units. I like that there's always more expensive stuff to buy though - I'm sure it tales off but so far it feels like I've got tons of units, but never so many I'm just swimming in them without any reason to it.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2018, 08:25:04 pm »

Yeah there's a ton to buy, freighters, frigates, better ships, better multitools, trade items and stuff.

I get about 300k for a creature scan with 3 S rank Scanner modules installed. All the modules can be stacked up to 3 and linked together to give them a bit of a bonus. Has to be like modules, as in 3 life support modules together in an L or a line. You can also stick mods in your tech slots, and can stack another 3 of each.

I've got 3 life support in my exosuit inventory and exosuit tech slots, so that means I barely need to recharge my life support. Working on getting enough shield and hazard protection modules to combine those too, just need to get enough nanites from missions and uploading discoveries.

Also, hoping for the next patch, 1.52 to hit consoles soon. It has the fix for the Blueprint Analyser missing on existing saves.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2018, 08:26:01 pm »

Did anyone have luck running Assault Freighter missions (I think they are only available inside the Freighters mission terminals thingy)?
As I finally got my free freighter, I took one of those missions. My freighter vanished from the world and I died standing in space. When I respawned, the game said I owned no freighter, and it saved the game too - and my manual backup was from 2 hours before.  :'(

Always manually save before taking those missions..
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2018, 10:00:16 pm »

Just when I felt like I was starting to get the hang of ground and space stuff, I inherit my first freighter. Now it feels like there's a whole nother level of mechanics to learn...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2018, 12:53:13 am »

So, questions. Since the game has been updated, are there now worlds that dont have sentinels or other artificial structures on them? Like truly virgin worlds? As opposed to worlds that are legitimately civilized and have colonies? Or does the game still kinda drop random artificial objects just everywhere and flood every world with sentinels and prior colonists?

It kinda wrecked the atmosphere of exploration and reasoning for being paid to stare at rocks and space cows through a lense (youre not making any new scientific discoveries or anything, someone else must habe documented them already right?), when it seemed like you never found worlds that someone else hasnt been messing with for what seems like must have been years.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Senclair

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2018, 01:35:05 am »

This update makes the game great. Wish it was like this at launch, I am finding the game to be really relaxing.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2018, 01:36:53 am »

There are some systems that have no stations, but there is still sentinels there. I haven't been running with a economy scanner, so I didn't check for any outposts. But in general, even those systems will have artifacts and ruins.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2018, 04:02:33 am »

It kinda wrecked the atmosphere of exploration and reasoning for being paid to stare at rocks and space cows through a lense (youre not making any new scientific discoveries or anything, someone else must habe documented them already right?), when it seemed like you never found worlds that someone else hasnt been messing with for what seems like must have been years.

It's like the reverse of Dead Space.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2018, 04:33:02 am »

So, questions. Since the game has been updated, are there now worlds that dont have sentinels or other artificial structures on them? Like truly virgin worlds? As opposed to worlds that are legitimately civilized and have colonies? Or does the game still kinda drop random artificial objects just everywhere and flood every world with sentinels and prior colonists?
I think every world has sentinels, but red star systems all seem to lack space stations and buildings on the planets.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2018, 09:42:43 am »

The game is fun but do be aware that the update launched with a plethora of bugs which can complicate things. Automated miners get bugged and switch to giving copper after some time and can't be picked back up to reset them, Exocrafts with an afterburner equipped are constantly consuming fuel as if the afterburner was in use so they're unuseably fuel-hungry and their mining laser/upgrade are bugged and it can only mine at a fraction of the speed of a stock multitool leaving scanning the only remaining reason to get one at the moment. I was disappointed after all the many hours of waiting through newly added cooldowns between base missions when I finally got rewarded with exocrafts that don't work. I still don't understand why the devs thought it was a good idea to add a 1h30m cooldown between each step of each base-related mission, one of which involves no work or goals but just waiting through repeated cooldowns for one sentence of text and a blueprint and over 10 hours of ingame waiting IF you get to it right away to finally unlock the ship landing pad for your base.

Don't do like me and put off your base missions till later thinking you can get it done then, you'll just hit a cooldown wall. Start working on it early.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2018, 02:15:09 am »

I still don't understand why the devs thought it was a good idea to add a 1h30m cooldown between each step of each base-related mission, one of which involves no work or goals but just waiting through repeated cooldowns for one sentence of text and a blueprint and over 10 hours of ingame waiting IF you get to it right away to finally unlock the ship landing pad for your base.
It's a way to artificially inflate the playtime of the game, makes it look like there's more to do than there really is.

If this was a microtransaction game, it would have a payment option to reduce the cooldowns instead.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2018, 03:00:41 am »

Very true.

And did you know you can use your visor to look into other ships, and it will tell you which type, class, and how many slots+tech slots it have in the visor HUD?... This saves a bunch of clicking when looking out for a better ship.
I feel like I should've known about it before..
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2018, 06:56:21 am »

And did you know you can use your visor to look into other ships, and it will tell you which type, class, and how many slots+tech slots it have in the visor HUD?... This saves a bunch of clicking when looking out for a better ship.

I did not know this. And I have been wasting a lot of time doing it the hard way. Thank you.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2018, 07:56:56 am »

I picked this one up recently and I've been puttering around a few planets getting a feel for the game.

Initially I started with Survival mode, learning the core mechanics of the game by repeatedly failing. After realizing that the game is not, in fact, actually challenging from a gameplay perspective, I trucked through with my current game until I discovered what happens when you shoot the egg sacs at an abandoned structure, then restarted with a normal game.

I was actually quite lucky with my initial start. I spawned on a toxic world filled with uranium secondaries in almost all the ferrite sources, meaning I pretty much never needed to craft starship launch fuel for my launch thrusters. Then I found that my starter planet had two moons, one of which was a desert filled with pyrite, which gave me near infinite fuel for my pulse engines, the other a lush peaceful grassland world which was perfect for casually mining and exploring.

So far I've been alternating between chasing manufacturing facilities for crafting blueprints and tracking down drop pods to expand my suit's inventory. I usually just slowly strafe the manufacturing facility with my ship, shooting the door with the ship's photon cannons until they bust, then cruise in a circle for a minute as the sentinel timer cools down. Pop inside, solve the puzzle and drop a signal booster to locate the nearest structure, which is usually another manufacturing facility. I'm still using the version of the game that has a bug that doesn't consume drop pod coordinate data when scanning using the signal booster, so it's been fairly easy for me to massively upgrade my carrying capacity.

Overall I agree with the sentiment of others, as a chill space exploration/crafting game, this one's a nice way to unwind. Best enjoyed with a cool beverage after a long day.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14