Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - NEXT is out!  (Read 24650 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - NEXT is out!
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2018, 09:01:06 am »

I started off in survival mode as well and found it to be tedious so I switched back after a while. I didn't enjoy constantly needing to refill my meters, I'm sure it gets more efficient as time goes on but I felt like the survival elements were detracting from the game instead of making it more fun or interesting.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2018, 09:02:45 am »

Every time i find a cargo pod i need like 800 chromatic material or shit like that. So i farm eggs at abandoned station, sell them and jump to new system and buy upgrade, i wont be spending 5hr just to unlock a single upgrade from a pod.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2018, 09:55:14 am »

I'm pretty well set for chromatic metal. Typically I scan the surroundings after landing if I'm low and check if there's a copper deposit less than 200 meters away. If so, I'll walk over and use my mining tool with the lowest setting to return the most copper per deposit, usually in the range of 250-500 units each.

I'll usually drop my refiner before starting mining and let it run whilst I dig, saving me time waiting around. Just pause mining and reload the refiner each time it completes, and you'll have plenty of higher tier materials. Typically I'll refine cobalt, copper, and sodium first, then work down to ferrous and carbon materials after the first ones are refined.

Each drop pod takes 45 sodium nitrate, 40 oxygen, 55 ionised cobalt, and one antimatter (25 chromatic metal and 20 condensed carbon) to gain one free slot. Definitely pick the cargo slots unless you're desperate for tech upgrades. Cargo slots carry twice the base resources as your regular inventory. I currently have 20 of these unlocked and it makes carrying rarer components like gases a breeze.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2018, 10:28:33 am »

anyone got to test the multiplayer aspect of next?

am still on the fence for a purchase since I don't know how much repetitive it can get just planet hopping.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2018, 12:08:17 pm »

My suggestion? Get the warp drive upgrades and make a hop out to a blue star with your Indium warp drive. If you can find a planet with activated indium, each unit you mine is worth four chromatic ore. You gotta contest with extreme weather, but one visit will have you set for the stuff for a long time.

Spend an hour, load up your freighter with activated indium, smelt down a stack as you need it.
Honestly I stopped at Emril since getting 1k of it was so easy and that turns into 1.5k chromatic.  Copper is the worse for chromatic at 50%, Cadmium one is 100%, Emril is 150% and Indium is 200%.

You can also add the first two ferrite dusts to increase your output of chromatic further. 
As well as there being an exploit that allows infinite chromatic metal.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2018, 03:07:08 pm »

anyone got to test the multiplayer aspect of next?

am still on the fence for a purchase since I don't know how much repetitive it can get just planet hopping.

Probably the weakest co-op game I've ever played tbh. Unless the other person really likes the game (i.e. they would play singleplayer if they can't play with you), I wouldn't at all buy it just for co-op.
I played a few hours with gf and it felt like each was playing a singleplayer game but could share resources and buildings to make the grinding faster or skip certain mission steps.
Others may definitely have a different opinion, but after playing games such as Overcooked, Empyrion, Space Engineers, Minecraft, Eco, with other people .. I really wouldn't get NMS for the co-op aspect.

However, as I said, if you team up with other people that like the game, I suppose it can be fun attacking/defending freighters and exploring/building together.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2018, 06:57:17 am »

I ran into 2 nearly gamebreaking bugs on two different parts of the main story quest today, which is rather vexing. First I had a quest to interact with my base computer, but the icon was in the middle of space. I had to build several new base computers and spend an hour teleporting my frigate around and reloading saves before the quest icon finally snapped onto one of the computers and let me update. Then I needed to triangulate a signal, but the icon was in the middle of a building. I eventually found a tip that I could dig under the building and build my signal booster underground and it would update there. I never would have figured that one out on my own.

I also learned today about a minor exploit that I don't particularly mind abusing...pressing melee attack and jet boost at the same time will propel you forward, making it a bit faster to get around.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2018, 07:55:55 am »

There is so much grinding that i went in nexus and grabbed a few quality of life, faster exocraft, loswer liftoff cost, cheaper exocraft pad, there is a couple more orthers.
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2018, 08:10:09 am »

The melee-jetpack boost was a bug in the original release that the community liked enough for it to stay in.

The rest of the bugs, like what you experienced, should be reported to Hello Games and a save file submitted if possible. They are really good at getting things fixed. A week and a half after release and there's been 3 big big fix patches, I'd think that's better than most other big companies!

I don't have a problem with the grinding. I go out and buy materials rather than mine and refine stuff constantly. Easier to make units and spend them on stuff I want, rather than blast rocks away.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2018, 09:27:02 am »

Oh yeah i do buy lotsa material now, i can make 1.5 or 2 mil per abandonned building and with a fast exocraft with scanner its quite easy to spot.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2018, 03:45:25 pm »

caved in and bought it. game is ok I guess, I'll see where it goes. seen some let's play, that helped immensely. initial tutorial should stress a lot more to keep an eye on oxy and sodium plants, but I'm playing normal so it hasn't been an huge challenge. the youtuber was playing survival and basically plays the same with only a huge grind aspect added, so not for me.

anyway, the interface is bad. like, real bad. it's inconsistent, lacks ux for a lot of mnemnics and in general a hell to navigate.

you can readily see this from basically the beginning, take the refiner for example: interacting with the slots has a different ux on each slot, heck, even the interaction to start and stop the production is different, even if the button to do it is exactly in the same place and has the same look. and lot other little things, like secondary materials being mined aren't shown on the acquisition display top right while mining

all in all it doesn't feel like a game that's ben out for a couple years.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 04:01:57 pm by LoSboccacc »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2018, 04:58:48 am »

A lot more time wasted today on quests that just don't work. Right now I'm trying to hire a scientist for my base. I went to a Korvax system and found a couple of scientist NPC's, but got no option to hire them. Eventually I think to check through my quests, and sure enough I have a second quest that wants me to build a scientist workstation before hiring a scientist. So I warp back to my base, build the workstation. The alternate quest is now also directing me to hire a scientist. So I warp back to the Korvax space station, find that all the NPC's have changed and there are no longer any scientists. Fine, whatever, I warp to another system, and a third, none of them have scientists. So I return to the first space station, NPC's have changed back to what they were originally, scientists are back. Talking to them still does not give me any option to hire them.

I'm going to keep hammering away at this for now, but at this point I've spent about 90% of my playtime the last 3 days struggling with this bullshit and I'm getting burned out real fast.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2018, 09:25:56 am »

They managed to fix what might possibly be the biggest flop of the decade. Props for that.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2018, 09:32:46 am »

A lot more time wasted today on quests that just don't work. Right now I'm trying to hire a scientist for my base. I went to a Korvax system and found a couple of scientist NPC's, but got no option to hire them. Eventually I think to check through my quests, and sure enough I have a second quest that wants me to build a scientist workstation before hiring a scientist. So I warp back to my base, build the workstation. The alternate quest is now also directing me to hire a scientist. So I warp back to the Korvax space station, find that all the NPC's have changed and there are no longer any scientists. Fine, whatever, I warp to another system, and a third, none of them have scientists. So I return to the first space station, NPC's have changed back to what they were originally, scientists are back. Talking to them still does not give me any option to hire them.

I'm going to keep hammering away at this for now, but at this point I've spent about 90% of my playtime the last 3 days struggling with this bullshit and I'm getting burned out real fast.

I think the whole thing with NMS quests is that you have to do them in the order it wants (and as it says in the log). In most games you can skip a step if you know what you're doing, but in NMS you HAVE to do it in the order it wants, even if you could skip it.

I just did the quests for staffing the bases and had no problems, but I followed the instructions to the letter. I had problems earlier with skipping a step in a quest and learnt my lesson. This is really just rushed design, and I'm hoping they sort it out in further patches, because it is a bit annoying.

I'd second getting a few mods to make it less grindy - the launch fuel one is necessary, and the quicker scan one is good too (if a little bit cheaty)
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2018, 11:40:23 am »

When doing a quest, make sure its active by going in your log or ut wont register... stupid but eh.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14