Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - NEXT is out!  (Read 24452 times)

AVE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - NEXT is out!
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2018, 02:07:39 am »

There is one line in current experimental steam branch patch that will hopefully address your concerns:
Fixed an issue that prevented players from using the Pulse Engine to escape between waves of Sentinel space fighters

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2018, 02:44:50 am »

Ah so it's a bug then.  I'll just have to be extra careful and not take depot destruction or manufacturing plant quests for now.  Since both of those seem to instantly cap out my sentinel wanted level, making those tasks essentially unplayable.  Maybe if I could find a way to increase afterburner speed I could outrun them in space...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2018, 05:13:46 am »

I've found that you can escape 5 stars by leaving the planet, killing a fighter, and then landing again, which should prompt a search. If that fails, trying hanging out in a cave for a while.

Do we have a Bay12 community post NEXT patch?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2018, 03:26:17 pm »

Seems the issue had been resolved in a patch today, as predicted :)

I had tried digging underground and hiding out but for some reason even when the sentinels couldn't see me I went for 5 minutes in a sealed hole in the ground and they never went into detecting.  Think it may have something to do with the 5 star level not disappearing carrying over to the lower levels.  But I'm not a dev so I'm not sure.

Calling the freighter preemptively seems like a Good Idea and I should have tried that.  I did manage to call my Luin of Celtchar between waves once but that only bugged it out, the landing pads turned red and never turned blue preventing landing and on reload it was still red until I restarted the program entirely.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 29, 2018, 12:25:16 pm »

Remember that time Hello Games released a giant patch that added lots of neat things?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIrCX5PomuA

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2018, 01:11:12 pm »

No Man's Ocean update. It basically looks like a lot of new art assets that serve the exact same functions as what we already have. Meh.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2018, 04:51:52 am »

No Man's Ocean update. It basically looks like a lot of new art assets that serve the exact same functions as what we already have. Meh.

It looks heavily inspired by Subnautica, which is a far better game. I tried getting back into NMS at one point but it just felt "meh", even with all the updates. There was a distinct lack of drive to push me to go through all the grind, so I dropped it quickly.

In my first playthrough, at release, I played long enough to max out everything, so I guess the vague storyline was enough to keep me intrigued - over nothing, admittedly - but not the second time.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2018, 03:00:12 pm »

I'm probably the odd one out. But I was going to buy Subnautica until they revealed the DLC was a standalone and not an actual addition of the game. That disappointed me so much that it ruined any hype I had for the game and won't buy it cause of that. That and I had a few other reasons, but I kinda like more sandboxy style games personally

So like some people above say they didn't like No man's Sky, it partly could be a lot of people find open ended games without an actual end or without a linear story to be boring or just in general no guidance. Which is partly why I skipped Subnautica for the opposite reasons of that. So games like skyrim, GTA, NMS are more my type...but that isn't for everyone, but also doesn't make games like Subnautica bad either.

As for No man's sky. I'm enjoying the underwater content so much. Not only can people now explore space and planets, but they can go underwater too. There is so much to explore and so much to do. Really added a lot to the game from what I've seen so far. The underwater stuff looks really amazing, and it adds a ton to the exploration part of the game. Already have over 800 hours of play time on no man's sky just exploring, so this will add a lot more. I'm having a lot of fun personally.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 05:54:46 pm by Trolldefender99 »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2018, 06:20:50 pm »

I'm probably the odd one out. But I was going to buy Subnautica until they revealed the DLC was a standalone and not an actual addition of the game. That disappointed me so much that it ruined any hype I had for the game and won't buy it cause of that. That and I had a few other reasons, but I kinda like more sandboxy style games personally

So like some people above say they didn't like No man's Sky, it partly could be a lot of people find open ended games without an actual end or without a linear story to be boring or just in general no guidance. Which is partly why I skipped Subnautica for the opposite reasons of that. So games like skyrim, GTA, NMS are more my type...but that isn't for everyone, but also doesn't make games like Subnautica bad either.

I'd really encourage you to change your position on that. Subnautica is probably the best sandboxy/exploration games I've played, and a truly fantastic experience. You don't have to follow any of the story (other than some small initial bits, which you have to do in NMS, Skyrim, GTA as well) and it's the only game of that type that I can just sort of...get lost in. If you want it, there's zero guidance and you can just build a base, find resources and explore.

I honestly don't see how the 'DLC' can disappoint you so much - it's basically a whole new game rather than an add-on to Subnautica. The reason they're doing it as a standalone is because Subnautica is such a polished package that adding more stuff would probably ruin what it has by throwing off the balance. It's probably been packaged wrong, but I don't get how you can have such a negative feeling about something where you haven't even played the base game?

Seriously, get Subnautica - it's about twice as good as NMS (and I'm a fan after the NEXT update) and seriously engrossing.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2018, 06:41:08 pm »

I'd really encourage you to change your position on that. Subnautica is probably the best sandboxy/exploration games I've played, and a truly fantastic experience. You don't have to follow any of the story (other than some small initial bits, which you have to do in NMS, Skyrim, GTA as well) and it's the only game of that type that I can just sort of...get lost in. If you want it, there's zero guidance and you can just build a base, find resources and explore.

I honestly don't see how the 'DLC' can disappoint you so much - it's basically a whole new game rather than an add-on to Subnautica. The reason they're doing it as a standalone is because Subnautica is such a polished package that adding more stuff would probably ruin what it has by throwing off the balance. It's probably been packaged wrong, but I don't get how you can have such a negative feeling about something where you haven't even played the base game?

Seriously, get Subnautica - it's about twice as good as NMS (and I'm a fan after the NEXT update) and seriously engrossing.

well, it DOES look good. Though I had the impression it was more narrative focused, but maybe I understood it wrong and its more of a sandbox with a story attached.

But the other problem for me is, its just hard for me to get into a game when they release patches/dlc don't actually add to the actual game. Its a huge pet peeve I guess is the word, of mine when a game releases maps (like ark and all its maps) or dlc content and its pretty much a new game instead of adding it to the base game. its always annoyed me for a long time since early in the gaming days. Kinda hard for me to get over that. Because like Subnautica, imagining a huge ocean to explore and going from one biome to a snowy/ice biome all on one character in the same world sounds amazing that its very hard for me to get over that it won't ever be like that.

A lot of that is my fault because I imagine such an amazing game and this amazing place to explore with so many different biomes from the biome Subnautica currently is in, and the snowy biome of the upcoming DLC...but cause how I see this amazing world they could have added its kinda hard for me to get past that like I said.

Sequels don't really bother me as much though for most part. Though some games would been better off adding to the game instead of a sequel, but mostly I don't get bothered by it.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2018, 07:11:36 pm »

well, it DOES look good. Though I had the impression it was more narrative focused, but maybe I understood it wrong and its more of a sandbox with a story attached.
That is exactly what it is - it's completely a sandbox with a narrative attached. The narrative is just much better than most sandbox games which is why lots of people talk about it. I wasn't really interested in it, but it drew me in eventually.

But the other problem for me is, its just hard for me to get into a game when they release patches/dlc don't actually add to the actual game. Its a huge pet peeve I guess is the word, of mine when a game releases maps (like ark and all its maps) or dlc content and its pretty much a new game instead of adding it to the base game. its always annoyed me for a long time since early in the gaming days. Kinda hard for me to get over that. Because like Subnautica, imagining a huge ocean to explore and going from one biome to a snowy/ice biome all on one character in the same world sounds amazing that its very hard for me to get over that it won't ever be like that.

A lot of that is my fault because I imagine such an amazing game and this amazing place to explore with so many different biomes from the biome Subnautica currently is in, and the snowy biome of the upcoming DLC...but cause how I see this amazing world they could have added its kinda hard for me to get past that like I said.

I get what you're saying, but I followed subnautica through early access, and they put a TON of updates into it and it's got so many biomes and stuff already - you definitely get the feeling of lots of different biomes to explore in a massive ocean. More than that though, there's got to be a point when developers say 'right, this is a finished product and we're happy with it.'

From reading their blogs and stuff, it sounds like whilst they got to the 'subnautica is a finished product' phase, they also had other an idea of an ice biome that just didn't fit with the rest of the game, as such they wanted to make it separate. I think that's fair enough, especially because the narrative (whilst you don't have to get involved in it) and the general game world wouldn't really fit just throwing another bit in. Each Biome plays a part and it's a sort of...closed system, so if they just shoved another one in it'd be difficult without wrecking the whole game to shove it in.

Sequels don't really bother me as much though for most part. Though some games would been better off adding to the game instead of a sequel, but mostly I don't get bothered by it.
Just think of it as a sequel, that's really all it is. I'd recommend you play the initial game, and just think about the ice game as a poorly named sequel.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2018, 09:09:39 pm »

That is exactly what it is - it's completely a sandbox with a narrative attached. The narrative is just much better than most sandbox games which is why lots of people talk about it. I wasn't really interested in it, but it drew me in eventually.

I get what you're saying, but I followed subnautica through early access, and they put a TON of updates into it and it's got so many biomes and stuff already - you definitely get the feeling of lots of different biomes to explore in a massive ocean. More than that though, there's got to be a point when developers say 'right, this is a finished product and we're happy with it.'

From reading their blogs and stuff, it sounds like whilst they got to the 'subnautica is a finished product' phase, they also had other an idea of an ice biome that just didn't fit with the rest of the game, as such they wanted to make it separate. I think that's fair enough, especially because the narrative (whilst you don't have to get involved in it) and the general game world wouldn't really fit just throwing another bit in. Each Biome plays a part and it's a sort of...closed system, so if they just shoved another one in it'd be difficult without wrecking the whole game to shove it in.

Just think of it as a sequel, that's really all it is. I'd recommend you play the initial game, and just think about the ice game as a poorly named sequel.

Fair enough. You are right, they did put a lot of work and my complaint is kinda weird to most but it is a barrier for me. But I should at least give Subnautica a fair chance. I put it on top of my steam wishlist so I can pick it up next month and start it up. Talked me into it :)

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2019, 12:47:02 am »

new update coming soon apparently

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 26, 2019, 06:40:02 pm »

Definitely playing this when the BEYOND update releases. Just from playing NEXT alone, I noticed how they really do care about the game, and while the launch of the game is another story, I do think their devoted to the game. I havn't even played the ABYSS or VISIONS update, but I think this will be a big culmination for hellogames and hopefully the No Mans Sky community.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14