Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - NEXT is out!  (Read 24451 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - NEXT is out!
« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2019, 11:05:47 am »

Definitely going to be waiting for the new update - I last played at NEXT and thought it was really good. My only issue was that it felt slightly samey and a bit of a slog after a while - there just didn't feel to be enough to do other than mine rocks to build stuff.

It was really, really nearly there though - I feel open world games and similar need to reach a sort of 'critical mass' where you have enough choice to do what you want within developed systems. I feel like NMS was 90% of the way there, so I'm imagining that it'll be fantastic at the next big release.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 27, 2019, 12:09:00 pm »

Definitely going to be waiting for the new update - I last played at NEXT and thought it was really good.

same feeling. game looked great, but with too much width, too little depth. in 20 ours or so I went nowhere, had built nothing of significance, had not be able to purchase a mid range ship, was just beginning the freighter line nor saw any truly outstanding planets, everything passed in a blur and brought me nowhere interesting. sure visuals are incredible, but ultimately I had zero takeaways from the game - and after 20 hours most of the game was still all about grinding rocks, at some point I expected it to get better or more interesting but eventually burned out of the sameness of the whole experience.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 27, 2019, 12:57:20 pm »

after 20 hours most of the game was still all about grinding rocks, at some point I expected it to get better or more interesting but eventually burned out of the sameness of the whole experience.

You managed to say exactly what I meant with that!!!

It really just needs a lot more *stuff* going on and then it'll be perfect. Some better quests, more differentiation between planets and a way to get stuff without just endlessly mining rocks and it'll be great.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 28, 2019, 12:10:54 am »

the ability to turn our bases perhaps into mini towns with npcs with more depth and variety.  Supporting a colony.  And tying mechanics into that, perhaps more rewards or deeper gameplay beyond the elcuid galaxy as well might be future aims and objectives

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 28, 2019, 12:13:18 am »

If the online update allows, I think we should start a bay12 civilization.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 28, 2019, 01:17:25 am »

The thing that would keep me at any game like this for ages would be the ability to populate bases with NPCs.

Still, even after certain loops have worn thin, I like to pop in when I need to chill and cruise around taking photos.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 28, 2019, 08:47:25 am »

...a way to get stuff without just endlessly mining rocks and it'll be great.
Refinery shenanigans let you create most resources out of nothing.

50 carbon + 50 condensed carbon => 1 carbon crystal
1 carbon crystal => 150 condensed carbon
25 condensed carbon => 50 carbon
Net gain: +75 condensed carbon

Same applies for sodium nitrate (destabilized sodium) and ionized cobalt (tetracobalt.) Pure ferrite can be multiplied by refining it with the carbon from above.
Cadmium, Emeril, or Indium can be multiplied with chromatic metal, which can in turn be refined back down into more chromatic metal.
Once you get the required recipes unlocked, you can start producing Stasis Devices worth 15 million credits each. You can avoid the slow growth time of solanium by just buying thousands of phosphorus and converting it at a 1:1 ratio. Same for star bulb and paraffinium. Stations restock when you save and reload.
The game's terribly broken if you know what to do.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 09:12:26 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 28, 2019, 10:45:29 am »

Cobalt's actually as easy as just refining it with ionized cobalt to multiply the latter.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #143 on: March 28, 2019, 09:04:28 pm »

Wouldn't touch it until it's out for two weeks.
I laughed.

I remember someone streaming No Man's Sky, and I said "Steal the spaceship!" in chat... They were disappointed.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 01, 2019, 04:21:29 am »

I got this just the other day, runs in proton on my mint laptop pretty decently. no noticeable lag.

Jumped straight into permadeth, took a while to get the hang of it, the starting quest could be toned down a bit or at least give a few more hints.
One thing that really does get to me is the long as hell seemingly un-skipable game start animation bit, you wake up on the planet and sit there staring at the screen while the game slowly and painfully goes through your suit systems.

My last game seemed to be going well, though I was fighting for space the whole time, got to the broken down freighter and the blueprint for the hyper drive, was low on oxygen so I stayed close to my fighter while trying to break into the cargo containers, had no spare slots and no more oxygen, threw something away to give me a spare slot and jumped out of the fighter to go find some oxygen... and died. no explanation, not sure what happened there, maybe my health bottomed out during the previous excursion and I didn't realize, dunno thought I would have had a little bit of time to find some red plants...

Overall it's fun so far.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 01, 2019, 10:10:43 am »

One thing that really does get to me is the long as hell seemingly un-skipable game start animation bit, you wake up on the planet and sit there staring at the screen while the game slowly and painfully goes through your suit systems.
Naturally your hazard shield is draining the whole time.

[...] jumped out of the fighter to go find some oxygen... and died. no explanation, not sure what happened there, maybe my health bottomed out during the previous excursion and I didn't realize, dunno thought I would have had a little bit of time to find some red plants...
If it happened instantly, it probably wasn't due to oxygen. I'm guessing hostile plant, unless you accidentally blew yourself up with a grenade.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 10:13:11 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2020, 02:01:01 pm »

I have pictures of Good Game called No Man's Sky.

First is sleepy animal.

Second is the location of my parked spaceship. It's on the left in the first picture, and right through the doorway in the second. I solved this by walking for about an hour until I could spend navigation data to summon my ship.

Now here is the least lens-flare-y location in this building I was trying to buy and sell at.

Our final arrangement is the results of the teleporter issue I had. I went through a teleporter to what I thought was my most recent base, and instead found myself in a cave underneath a mountain on a world I've never been to. After walking for about an hour, I found a settlement (picture 1) to set up a teleporter and spend navigation data to summon my ship. I went to leave. Then I found the freighter and things got weirder.

Naturally your hazard shield is draining the whole time.

Is that why you always die the first time ~30 seconds after starting Survival Mode? Good thing they fixed that at all in the past few years.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2020, 04:33:06 pm »

So, I've seen this game compared to elite dangerous, and both being described as shallow. Which is MORE shallow? Which will I get bored of sooner?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2020, 06:25:52 pm »

So, I've seen this game compared to elite dangerous, and both being described as shallow. Which is MORE shallow? Which will I get bored of sooner?

No Man's Sky has less combat, but more exploration. Also, it's probably jankier.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 10, 2020, 07:19:42 pm »

Can't really compare any game to no man's sky (or can't think of any)...and I'll stay neutral to both, so with that in mind...

If you like euro/american truck simulator and can play it for multiple hours at a time, elite dangerous would probably get more worth for you if you like that kind of game, but in space.

If you thought euro/american truck simulator is boring as hell and pointless, no man's sky is more likely to be your thing

Next year you'll have an actual character in elite dangerous, and not stuck in a ship, so there is that

Granted, euro/american truck simulator doesn't have combat, or mining, or planet exploration. But the gist of it is kinda similar in there is a TON of travel time in elite dangerous.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 07:23:48 pm by The_Explorer »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14