Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: An ignoble end  (Read 9319 times)

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
An ignoble end
« on: July 26, 2018, 02:49:14 pm »

So apparently things have changed a little since I last played. Once upon a time, I found great success training a kitted-out adventurer by finding some small creature, ideally a horseshoe crab, grabbing it, escalating to lethal conflict, and then just lying down and waiting. After doing that for a while, I'd then go and find a group of small creatures and train with two, then three at once. However, this time, when I escalated my training to two creatures (in this case the most muscular ravens in the flock I found), I soon passed out from over-exertion. Now, when you lose consciousness, you don't let go of anything you're wrestling. The ravens were thus both unable to flee and unwilling to cease their onslaught. Normally when this happens my character, now unable to passively dodge (misses are governed by and contribute to your dodge skill) or block, either quickly regains consciousness or swiftly bleeds to death.

This time, I remained unconscious for three straight days. For some reason the bogeymen never bothered me at night, the ravens never passed out long enough for me to regain consciousness, and were also unable to actually injure me (though they did tear my hair quite a lot). Eventually the constant fighting made the ravens strong enough to actually tear something with blood inside and I died from exsanguination. So now there are just a couple stupid-buff ravens in the world who know the taste of manflesh and can bite through iron armor and shake a large human around hard enough to tear the fat.

I feel I may have made the world, in a very small way, simultaneously a worse place and a better place.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Re: An ignoble end
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 12:52:26 am »

Better. Much better, without doubt.

recneps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 11:04:10 am »

Beautiful. You should replicate this in Fortress Mode by packing a room with ravens and sending tribute in the form of unarmed, novice military Dwarves. And then you can release the Swarm in troublesome sectors of the fortress.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 07:12:35 pm »

Beautiful. You should replicate this in Fortress Mode by packing a room with ravens and sending tribute in the form of unarmed, novice military Dwarves. And then you can release the Swarm in troublesome sectors of the fortress.

How about instead of novice military dwarves you use dwarven children, and then give those weapons after 12 years?

Feathermind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 07:32:57 am »

I was the strongest among my flock, unmatched among my feathered kin save perhaps for my mate.  Kings we were, perched high among the mortal world, and I was king of kings among them, flawless and unchallenged.  My strength yielded me all I could desire, and I knew neither want nor sorrow.  The concept of weakness was alien to me, a flaw to be exploited to be sure but I knew not its touch.  Then the giant came with grasping claws, and taught me how weak I truly was.

There was no warning before it fell upon me; no omen or portent.  No raven saw it approach.  No snapping branches or rustling leaves warned of its presence. Even the whispers of the all-knowing wind refused to tell of its coming.  Only when its shadow fell upon me, blotting out the very sun, did I finally sense its presence, and by then it was far too late.

It struck like a bolt of lightning, ensnaring my mate and I in its grasping claws, holding us rigid in its iron grip.  Thirty ravens tall it must have been, with a body of iron and caged face of deathly calm, behind which lurked all the fury of the world.  I struggled and writhed with all my strength, the strength I prided myself on, the strength that placed me above all ravens and all other creatures by proxy.  But in that giant's hands my strength meant less than the shivers of a newborn hatchling in the cold night air.  The great beast held me firm, and in its claws I was utterly powerless to escape.  My struggles were futile, and in the fury behind that iron cage I could tell the giant knew.  In that moment I knew what it meant to fear.

Why It did not simply kill and devour me I'll never understand.  I struggled and scratched with increasing desperation, pecking and clawing and praying to break free, but it simply held me fast. It evaded my powerful strikes with the simplest of movements or shrugged them off like they were no more than the gentle caress of a wispy cloud.  Robbed of even the grace of death, I was left with nothing but the vain struggle.  So I consigned myself to my fate.

As the day grew on the giant began to tire, and hope took wing within me.  Surely all beings must rest eventually!  Hope roosted inside me and I struggled with renewed vigor.  Though I could not hope to scratch, it, it could not hold me forever!  So I vainly thought, and in my vanity I sealed my fate.  I struck and scratched and reveled in the giant's slowing movements, so certain was I that I would soon be free.  But as the beast groaned and collapsed, I found myself falling with it, pinned under the great beast.  Even in the cold grip of dream, it refused to release its grip on me.  It was in that moment that I knew despair.

I would lay trapped like this, I thought, for all eternity, a grim monument to those who thought themselves on top of the world.  In that moment I was certain such would be my fate.  But then I heard the cries of my mate, trapped on the other side of the beast, struggling the same as I, our fates entwined in misery.  Enraged and emboldened by those cries, I cast everything else aside.  Fear and pride, hope and despair, everything but the struggle.  No! I crowed to the crushing dark. I refuse to accept this fate!  Even if I'm dragged to the underworld itself, I will take wing and fly from its highest towers!  I will feel the wind once more!  For the first time, I knew what it was to desire.

I know not how long I struggled, trapped beneath that beast, embraced by cold iron claws and utter dark.  I had only my increasing thirst and hunger to show me how long it had been, how much closer I had grown to letting the world slip away and take with it the dregs that remained of my life.  I cried until I was hoarse, and when I could cry no longer I made my beak a weapon, gnawing and pecking and striking my foe.  My claws found no purchase, my beak was worn smooth and blunt, but still I struggled.  And somehow, as if yielding to sheer force of will, the great beast's armor began to crack.

Cold iron gave way to flesh, and eventually to bone and blood and sinew, as I scratched and clawed and dug my way free.  When I emerged, soaked in the blood of the giant, I had been born anew, redefined by the struggle.  My mate emerged beside me, and as we looked upon the great beast brought low I knew it now only as a reflection of myself.  Though we had defeated it, it had forever changed me, shaped me, tempered me and instilled in me the same calm fury that had been caged inside it.  I knew now what it was to be weak; that I had always been weak, and only in my ignorance had I thought myself strong.  I knew now fear and despair, hunger and desire, and what it truly meant to suffer.  But beyond all that, I knew what true strength was, and the struggle required to attain it.

I swore then that, no matter how many giants I must fell, I would never know weakness again.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 08:05:05 am »

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 05:04:00 pm »

All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 03:19:24 am »

It is terrifying.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 11:34:51 am »

It was inevitable.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 01:15:30 pm »

It is sad but not unexpected.

...Urist, play Lowness!
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 08:21:28 pm »

Do u even lift Crow?

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 08:15:32 am »

This is really badass.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

TaxEvasionist

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Whoever stole my username can fight me irl
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 08:51:59 am »

The heck do I write here

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 09:18:59 am »

I halfway expected the hands to show a middle finger... :P
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.
Pages: [1] 2 3