Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Set up room for Mayor?  (Read 3067 times)

DadDM

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Set up room for Mayor?
« on: July 26, 2018, 07:45:08 pm »

Very new to the game (about a week in), and I'm having a problem with the mayor. They require a quarters, and I have everything in there that they ask for. I've assigned everything to her, and set the armor stand and weapons rack to barracks. What am I missing? Thank you and hello everyone!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Set up room for Mayor?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 08:23:57 pm »

A mayor requires an Office (a room created from a chair/throne, whatever else is in there) and a dining room (defined from a table, whatever else is in there) and a quarters (bedroom, defined from a bed, ditto). Is that last room correct? Or did you try to create a 'quarters' by the additional furniture (chests, weapon-racks, armor-stands) alone? There is no requirement for a personal barracks (you can't even assign a barracks as a 'personal room', though you can make it serve a 'unit of one'... For no relevence to noble demands).

And, after all that, the rooms must be of a given quality level (you should, on the Nobles screen see whether the quality needed/given mismatches, up or down). And if you overlap rooms (putting the base-furniture in one area and letting their extent of influence overlap each other) the quality of a given room is reduced by the nature of the overlap. This might also be why a Barracks is causing problems with a Bedroom.

I tend to cut out four rooms as a 'suite'. Typically.a square arrangement of 5x5 rooms, with a doorway into one of them (sometimes the office, sometimes the dining room, depending on if the Mayor is also in another office-using noble-role that would appreciate easier office access, rather than quicker dining experience) and 'internal' doors (within the block, that is, not official "internal doors", which is another thing entitely) to the adjacent rooms that are the counterpart dining/office room and the bedroom. The fourth room (a further door through from one the others, opposite corner to the entryway) I set up as potential/actual Tomb room from a sarcophagus, despite a Mayor not yet needing one. At some point in the future someone will ask for one.

The chests, etc, I then dot around the suite to try to up the quality of the rooms that need better total quality levels. And there must be (non-internal!) doors, often, to ensure the room designation is maximal wihout flood-filling over into an adjacent area.

To up the quality further, where still lacking, I then start to smooth the floors and walls (or continue, as I'll often start the smoothing on and around the chair/table/bed/door/etc placement points, as a vusual reminder) and that tends to be more than sufficient to satisfy the noble requirements at this level. Once you get upgraded titles you're going to want to ensure you have masterwork furniture (maybe of a 'favoured' or just intrinsically valuable source material) ready to populate those future (or regfurnished) suits.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 08:39:08 pm »

Because a 'picture' is worth a thousand words:

Code: [Select]
...............  (outside block, corridors or still undug space)
.#############. #=walls (natural/built/rebuilt)
.#+.B.+#+.S.+#. B=bed
.#.....#.....#. S=sarcophagus/coffin (optional)
.#+...+#+...+#. +=miscelaneous placement spots
.#.....#.....#.   for incidental chests/etc
.#+...+#+...+#.   (as needed)
.###D#####D###. D=doors
.#+...+#+...+#.
.#.....#.....#. C=chair/throne
.#CT...D...TC#. T=table
.#.....#.....#.
.#+...+#+...+#.
.###D#########.
.(entry).......
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 08:43:25 pm by Starver »

DadDM

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 10:38:59 pm »

Hmm...thank you. I'll try that.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 10:55:39 pm »

You don't need to stick to that exact plan. It's just one that fits into my general 'gridliness'.

Larger rooms, smaller ones, irregular (or at least rectangular) ones are equally valid, as are rooms that don't have a single entrance (unless you're dedicated to Big Red Lever Of Magma politics and want to save some effort?). Larger rooms give value and more than enough space to put the necessary/supplementary furniture in (I've never needed more than 5x5, and an alternate layout of six 3x5s in the same footprint might be enough space-per-room with enough improvement, even if nine 3x3s are pushing it) but you have to be prepared to excavate(/build round) such large spaces just for an ungrateful noble who may well need replacing or get replaced...

The important thing is more the three (or four, when tombs are asked for) spaces, defined against the single item per room that is needed, and everything else is decoration. A tablechair against a dining table and a table adjacent to an office chair (not required, but functionally and aesthetically better than the single item alone) is as much another personal design decision, with no mandate-worthy compulsion to provide them, unlike the chests/cabinets/etc you will get called upon to provide.

And this is just my approach. Mix it up a bit, once you know you've solved your initial stumbling block, and find your own different ways of doing it. Others will have their own favoured arrangements to tell you, I'm sure.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 03:16:12 am by Starver »

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 02:05:58 am »

You got lots of good info about noble rooms, a mayor is a "noble light" to figure this stuff out. The problem seems to be a mostly linguistic one, "Quarters" is just the word for a certain quality bedroom here, just like a really fancy office will be called throneroom instead of office.