Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Downsizing DF for performance purposes  (Read 3057 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Downsizing DF for performance purposes
« on: July 26, 2018, 09:40:43 pm »

Hello, I have searched for this to no avail, even though I´m sure others have asked for it (and I´m pretty sure I asked this myself in the past for previous versions): is there any way to stop migration altogether, be it through game mechanics or through modding?

The main point is to prevent FPS death, of course. I really want to try the new version, but I groan at the thought of getting invested and then suffering FPS death.

Likewise, if there IS a way, I´d appretiate a reminder on how you lower the pop reqs for invasions and megabeast attacks...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 07:29:10 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Removing migrants in current version?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 09:47:43 pm »

The siege triggers are in the goblin entity raws.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 12:17:31 am »

To stop migrants: DF folder -> data folder -> init folder -> d_init file

If you set POPULATION_CAP to 7 you'll get no migrants. If one of your dwarves die, you'll get a migrant. Set it to zero and you will never get any. It's really good these days because it doesn't force the initial migrant waves of the past and you don't need the diplomat to visit/leave for the number you've set or updated to be respected by the game.

To customize megabeast reqs, in-game choose Design New World with Advanced Parameters and then hit e for advanced parameters and scroll down to here:

It does say Titan but the wiki on the fields in question says that it affects megabeasts. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Advanced_world_generation#Titan_Parameters I can't give you a firsthand assurance of that because I've never really paid attention to it. I can confirm that there are advanced parameters not labeled as well as they could be, such as Number of Evil Rain Types. Setting that to zero wont remove evil rains, it'll just remove all syndromes from them.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 12:42:27 am »

Wiki is wrong. Megabeast attack triggers are in their raws.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 04:19:29 am »

Then fix it.

I did this time, but the point stands.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 04:53:16 am »

Then fix it.

I did this time, but the point stands.
Someone asked a question I told them what the answer was.
Doubt I can edit a wiki on my phone even if I had the time to find out how you're supposed to do it. Not my damn fault the wki is wrong.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Downsizing DF for performance purposes
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 07:33:13 pm »

Changed the thread title because I think this might be a relevant topic for people.

I´ve fiddling with some of the variables stated above. So far I´ve edited the raws to lower the pop thresholds of goblin sieges (and emphasize wealth created instead), decreased max pop to 26, and severely downsized max invasion and visitor pop sizes as well. I reduced the absolute popcap inc babies too, but not as much as that one is slow

So far it seems to have had a very positive impact on FPS, as they seem to remain manageable. I am going to raise the popcap to 35 as some projects take longer than expected, but I also think that with careful management of assigned duties even 26 would suffice for large forts.

It changes the emphasis of the gameplay a bit because it makes your individual dwarves more important. Also combat management. But overall the change feels... good. As far as I´m concerned, at least.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 06:50:14 am »

There used to be a mod out there that reduced the number of wood, leather, and stone types to fewer numbers so that there would be less unique object types to keep track of, might have made the game run better too if I remember.

EDIT:

Masterwork
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 08:37:58 am by Xyon »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 08:38:29 pm »

accelerated DF, in fact, masterwork still exists, there is another project underway for genericized materials etc.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 11:56:07 pm »

It's included as a module in Modest Mod.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 11:57:45 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 11:24:54 am »

Does messing with the population cap interfere with sieges?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 04:35:19 pm »

Does messing with the population cap interfere with sieges?
Each civilised race (except dwarves for some reason) has a trigger at which point they can consider you as a siege target. There are wealth and population triggers. In vanilla DF, each race has a population trigger of 80. No wealth triggers are set so wealth isn't taken into account.

So if your pop cap is set below 80, you won't ever reach the trigger. Raiding any civ will override these triggers.

If you want to maintain a small population but play with the risk of sieges, you need to alter these triggers (or raid everyone).

Sieger numbers can be capped with a seperate option, that's not effected by pop cap.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 05:28:32 pm »

Thanks, that sounds like fun. I'll probably do that sometime. I always liked having only a couple dwarves.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 04:42:52 pm »

Altering the triggers is fairly straightforward. Wiki explains how to do it. You have to go to entity raws and alter the relevant numbers.

I'm playing with a popcap of 35 and doing well, but I'm thinking of setting it at 50 mostly to be able to afford a large army.

Also an interesting tidbit: even if your civ is dying you can regrow it by settling and retiring fortresses. Pop will grow by itself in retired fortresses, too. And you might meet some of your old chars as migrants

Fereval

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 01:33:48 pm »

Alternatively, is there a way to slow down massively the coming of migrant waves? (as in, adding a lot more time between each waves).

Been a long time reader of these full of wonders forums, Hi!
Pages: [1] 2