Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: This game is hard?  (Read 2208 times)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: This game is hard?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2018, 02:10:33 am »

If losing is fun, the game isn't fun. I've TRIED losing

If your embark isn't located between a necromancer tower and a goblin fortress, in a evil glacier biome with high savagery I feel you haven't tried very hard, lol.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2018, 06:48:00 pm »

Getting attacked by a werebeast early can be FUN.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2018, 03:26:40 am »

I've dug down very deep and dropped a corpse in a "bottomless" pit...her skeleton is there now. I thought maybe a ghost would come and that'd be interesting, but...no.

Dig deeper, dad. Until you find the blue stuff. Get all of it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2018, 03:50:27 am »

Memes about the difficulty of DF were born years ago, when it was a very different game from what it is today. In my opinion, it's much improved, but the decreased gaminess has also made it... not a really hard game that really wants to break you. Now it's a fantasy world simulation that's not particularly worried about breaking you. Farther development isn't going to bring it back in the other direction, but if that's what you really want... you can still download old versions. Or you could play other games, like Rimworld or Oxygen Not Included, which are similar to DF's earlier stages, and will gladly shit your fuck up fam. Or if it's just pure masochism you're after, go play Dark Souls, start as a pyromancer, and beat the whole game without leveling up at all.

Maybe in a few years DF will let you turn up the "hostility" knob and play with a fantasy world simulator that really, really wants to break you and everyone else. But chances are that's still not what you want. But hey it's a free game, may as well check it out every five years and see if it's for you. ;P
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2018, 06:31:12 am »

Try a surface-only fortress in an evil biome and come back to tell your experience of this :)

The game can be really really very hard. It's just that i also can be quite easy (after you have tamed UI). Actually, it's just like every other games with easier or harder setup. But it's not written on the embark menu, you have to use your knowledge of the game to know wether it will be hard or not.

recneps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2018, 12:19:15 pm »

If you really want difficulty, you have to choose it at your embark. An evil biome, some place with less resources, both.. Mod in extra hostile civs, new megabeasts, et cetera. Most of the fun for me has actually been just fucking around with the raws to make various atrocities so I can watch the world burn.
Pages: 1 [2]