Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cloud Meadow: a NSSFW farming sim with dungeon crawling.  (Read 10461 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cloud Meadow: a NSSFW farming sim with dungeon crawling.
« on: July 28, 2018, 01:12:25 pm »

felt i had to share this game just for the gameplay alone, however i have to give the warning to the people:

DISCLAIMER -> "NSSFW" means the game is not so safe for work. well under the gameplay and story the game has hentai elements so expect to see some adult scenes when breeding monsters along with some loading screens or events.

The story in short:

Cloud Meadow is a game project founded by S-Purple, artist and lead designer(?) from Breeding Season which is a now defunct adult farming simulator that was abandoned some years ago due to some internal issues with the main developer.  in some regards being the spiritual follower of that project, Cloud Meadow has gone beyond the scope, worldbuilding and main features of its predecessor and has gained a bigger audience and team thanks to efforts from its creator and the people that supports it on Patreon.

About the Game:

Cloud Meadow is a farming simulator with turn based RPG and dungeon crawling elements. the game puts you in the flesh of a person of either male or female sex (pronouns stuff is included but optional, i think) which is sent by a guild into a floating island on the country's frontier to help with some agricultural stuff, however. the region is also filled with dangers like pirates and dungeon islands that regularly drift close for exploration. you can make money by different means be it exploring those islands, breeding monsters for sale or sell the extracted products from them, you can also grow crops and cook different types of food.

the game has a 4 stat system which is used during combat and in some other mechanics in the farm. this applies both to the main character, your monsters and party NPCs. some of the NPCs along with the farm monsters can join you when exploring the islands and gain levels the same way as you. there's a basic item system where you can have 2 items on each character and they can improve their stats and habilities from combat (allthought there's some crops that provide free EXP).

like in typical farm sims you start with a small farm with some crops but can gradually increase the size of the island along with adding  some special buildings to help both with the agricultural part and with other things like training your monsters. there's several species of monsters that can be bred and grown in the farm for selling and resource extraction, with a special market for monster extracts which changes prices along the time. there are also several crops that grown at different stages of the year (there's a season and weather system), there's at least 6 types of plants for each season with 4 stat increasing crops, and EXP crop and an HP crp (for healing during dungeons).

im not sure by i think all of those extracts and crops can be later used for cooking which i havent explored much yet. you can also buy ingredientes from the general store in case you cant refine the stuff you harvest. some crops can be found in the wild too and you can get seeds from monsters.

the combat system is turn based with characters having 4 habilities which can be a mix between passives and actives depending on the character. your monsters can unlock new habilities when growing or can be obtained from breeding (not sure, have to experiment). you can form teams with different synergies as time passes with a training ground you can use to test them. fights provide exp, money and depending on the enemy you can also obtain stuff like seeds or monster eggs.

Personal review:

the game is currently on Beta state and has a more balanced (and mature) approach between the gameplay, setting and the adult content. as a fan of Breeding Season and its wacky universe im going to miss things like the larger amount of stats and traits, some of the characters (the main inquisitor was my favourite NPC despite being a bitch), the neotenic, feral and gremlin variations of the monsters and some of the personal events. but i can recommend Cloud Meadow without a doubt, much better and interesting gameplay, more consistent universe and story, and less focus on trying to slap hentai everywhere which was perhaps one of the bigger turnoffs from BS.

i'd rate it 8/10 (needs to get finished but i like this more or less vertical slice).

« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 05:57:19 pm by xaritscin »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: Cloud Meadow: a NSSFW farming sim with dungeon crawling.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 01:55:21 pm »

Cloud Meadow is a game project founded by S-Purple, artist and lead designer(?) from Breeding Season which is a now defunct adult farming simulator that was abandoned some years ago due to some internal issues with the main developer.  in some regards being the spiritual follower of that project, Cloud Meadow has gone beyond the scope, worldbuilding and main features of its predecessor and has gained a bigger audience and team thanks to efforts from its creator and the people that supports it on Patreon.

It's worth clarifying, the artist from Breeding Season actually took all of his artwork when he bailed on the project and declared that he was starting his own project using that same art. It was quite the scandal back when it happened, with lawsuits and everything. The courts eventually determined that Breeding Season's contracts were not airtight enough and allowed the theft of material to go forward. Most fans agree that it was a pretty scummy move...but at the same time, Breeding Season development was going agonizingly slowly, and the artwork was pretty good, so if it could be put to better use elsewhere then that might be for the best.

I've been casually checking in on Cloud Meadow's progress every few months since it's inception, but did not realize the beta had reached such a decently playable state. I'll have to take a closer look now.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 05:52:54 pm »

yeah, i dont rally for either side because honestly its in the past already. dont really care who's to blame (allthought the evidence seems to point heavily on H-Bomb), Breeding Season is dead, its honestly a miracle that S-Purple was able to bring that stuff and get support to make Cloud Meadow after all that scandal.

the death of Breeding Season sparked the creation of a new genre of adult games tho. so even when it died so bad there's some budding titles out there that delve into the same ground while being more or less different.

i actually only looked at this one recently, i've been following the art posts in Tumblr but never looked at the game at all but now i think i should be hyped. i'd also recommed taking a look at "Strumpets". but Cloud Meadow is right now the best of the bunch.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 09:48:14 pm »

S-Purple?

I think I've seen that person on Steam. Creator of the Omen Seeker, Slayer, and Cataphract mods.

I think the most controversial one is the Omen Seeker, due to the bust :P

Might take a look at this game.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 11:55:05 pm »

some other features i missed while testing the beta:

1. you can put monsters to do work in the farm:

they can provide support for crops, combat training, shipping stuff for sale from the farm's dock, and milling (among other stuff). each job requires an specific investment in one or two of the stats used in the game, higher stats provide better efficiency.

2. contests:

the beta features a combat prowess contest, some kind of monster showcase (guess its stats contest) and a cooking contest. this feature is pretty basic right now so will have to to wait before looking at rewards and action.

3. all the crops are compatible with the cooking system:

harvested crops from all the seasons can be refined into cooking ingredients buy using the Mill. due to the beta stage of the game not many of them can be processed into ingredients but that is compensated by being able to buy the end product directly from the general store.

4. about cooking:

i havent explored this feature much, but there's several recipes inside the game which can be produced at the player's kitchen. most of them require doing experimentation with only 3 or so breads being on the basic list.

5. monster traits:

outside of the combat habilities and racial stats, monsters can have different traits from their species and some global traits that can be obtained from breeding. for example, Wolves get a special trait that makes them better at executing low health enemies (they have a chance to make a second attack), one global trait that can apply to them gives them 5% chance to not be targetted on enemy turns. Chimeras can inherit from parents or come up with random stat blocks from all the other monster species.

so the system more or less gives semi-infinite combinations in terms of individual traits for each monster and its descendants. this, coupled with stat increases and mixes on breeding means you rarely get monsters with the same stats (allthought it seems to be pretty frequent when being born from the player itself).

this is mostly finds from the public beta. the patreon version has a patch but im not sure which things are fixed. wil have to wait for the next public update.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 12:06:13 am by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 08:35:10 pm »

it seems the next public release comes tomorrow. you should check it out because i think it comes with some more content apart of fixes.

UPDATE:

public releases are done at the end of each month or the start of the next one. in this case the July update came today on August 1st.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 07:19:13 pm by xaritscin »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 10:16:13 am »

The last iteration was a (yuge) cash cow in development hell as I understood it.
This one actually going somewhere or is it gonna languish as it collects the aspiring rancher moolah like the other?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 11:08:26 am »

yeah they had issues with some devs having health problems that month so no working at full capacity. well, that's what the update text said.

they just added 2 new members, a programmer and an animator/designer. so that's for a total of like 6-7 people working on the game. not sure on how patreon games work out but i dont see it dying any time soon. at least not like its predecessor.

this patch was mostly about revamping some of the main UIs so i expect there wasnt a lot of content added. they fixed several bugs and stuff like that (as its expected of the first post beta release patch) but they also added 3 of the 4 missing companions into the combat roster. will have to wait for the September update to see how much it has progressed.