Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Silkworm Moth Mod  (Read 4327 times)

jjdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Silkworm Moth Mod
« on: May 12, 2011, 01:26:03 am »

Okay, so I have to admit, honeybee hives are intriguing. Personally, I've tried to increase the number of honeycombs produced to make beekeeping more profitable. However, I also came to realize that hives could be used for other things. Like, cultivating the silk from silkworm moths. After some fiddling around and a little work, I now have a fully functional silkworm moth system. It is loosely based on actual silkworm cultivation in real life. Silkworm moths only show up in forests and marshlands, and do not cause vermin hatred.  If I programmed it right, silk should be capable of being harvested twice a season, at one silkworm moth silk thread per hive per harvest. Harvesting silk from a silkworm moth hive uses the beekeeping skill. Without further ado, here's the raw file that need to be added to a game to make it work:

creature_small_silkworm.txt
Code: [Select]
[OBJECT:CREATURE]

[CREATURE:SILKWORM_MOTH]
[DESCRIPTION:A small moth, having a larval stage that produces a silk coccoon that can be harvested. Can be domesticated to make a sophisticated silk economy.]
[NAME:silkworm moth:silkworm moths:silkworm moth]
[CASTE_NAME:silkworm moth:silkworm moths:silkworm moth]
[CREATURE_TILE:249][COLOR:7:0:1]
[WEBIMMUNE]
[NATURAL]
[BIOME:ANY_FOREST]
[BIOME:ANY_WETLAND]
[VERMIN_SOIL_COLONY][FREQUENCY:100]
[VERMIN_NOTRAP]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:250:500]
[SMALL_REMAINS]
[PETVALUE:1]
[PETVALUE_DIVISOR:1000]
[SPEED:2900]
[PREFSTRING:silk]
[ALL_ACTIVE]
[NO_SLEEP]
[HOMEOTHERM:10040]
[SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:2500]
[NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
[NOPAIN][EXTRAVISION][NOSTUN][NOFEAR]
[NOBONES]
[ARTIFICIAL_HIVEABLE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SILK:SILK_TEMPLATE]
[HIVE_PRODUCT:1:50400:THREAD:NONE:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SILK]
[BODY:INSECT:2EYES:HEART:GUTS:BRAIN:MOUTH:2WINGS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CHITIN_MATERIALS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CHITIN_TISSUES]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:EXOSKELETON_TISSUE_LAYERS:CHITIN:FAT:MUSCLE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_HEAD_POSITIONS]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SINEW:SINEW_TEMPLATE]
[TENDONS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:200]
[LIGAMENTS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:200]
[HAS_NERVES]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:ICHOR:ICHOR_TEMPLATE]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:ICHOR:LIQUID]
[CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[GETS_WOUND_INFECTIONS]
[GETS_INFECTIONS_FROM_ROT]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:PUS:PUS_TEMPLATE]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:PUS:LIQUID]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:1]
[MAXAGE:1:1]
[HOMEOTHERM:10040]
[CASTE:FEMALE]
[FEMALE]
[CASTE:MALE]
[MALE]
[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]
[BODYGLOSS:INSECT_UPPERBODY:INSECT_LOWERBODY]
[FLIER]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:CHITIN]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:WHITE:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:chitin:SINGULAR]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:EYE]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:BLACK:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:eyes:PLURAL]
Quote from: ledgekindred
I can see menacing spikes of iron, but only a true dorf can make menacing spikes of dog leather or pig tail cloth!  What if they suddenly start decorating all their artifacts with like ... like ... butterflies or something.
Quote from: Heavenfall
One of my artifacts had a butterfly on it.
Oh.  Oh.  Oh Armok I'm so sorry.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Silkworm Moth Mod
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 02:37:34 am »

This has been done, fyi, shortly after hives were introduced.  I can't recall the exact results, but it seemed to work for silk production.  Still, always nice to see someone put out something they did ^^

wolflance

• Bay Watcher
  • Not knowing is half the Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 04:04:05 am »

Domesticated silkmoth can't fly...just to point it out. They still has small wings tho.

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 09:44:11 am »

Thanks for sharing! I wonder what else would make sense to be done with hives...

Also note that if you're putting this in its own file, the first line should be the name of the file (minus the .txt). So in this case, "creature_small_silkworm" should be the first line in your text file.

jjdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 06:31:57 pm »

Thanks for sharing! I wonder what else would make sense to be done with hives...

I'm working on my next hive creature: The pearlworm. Mainly because, Armok damn it, I'd like to have some pearls to decorate things with.

It is interesting figuring out how to cultivate particular hive species, since there is no actual way to select a particular type of thing to have put in a hive, you have to watch what creature colony gets transplanted.

However, I'm still trying to figure out why it is that my moths and worms never seem to leave their colony.  They are, however, properly creating the silk and pearls they should be making.

And I just noticed that the pearlworms can be moved to a cage for some strange reason.  o_O
I can see menacing spikes of iron, but only a true dorf can make menacing spikes of dog leather or pig tail cloth!  What if they suddenly start decorating all their artifacts with like ... like ... butterflies or something.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 12:57:36 am »

A very useful mod - time to create a pixie meat harvester!

I'm working on my next hive creature: The pearlworm. Mainly because, Armok damn it, I'd like to have some pearls to decorate things with.

It is interesting figuring out how to cultivate particular hive species, since there is no actual way to select a particular type of thing to have put in a hive, you have to watch what creature colony gets transplanted.

However, I'm still trying to figure out why it is that my moths and worms never seem to leave their colony.  They are, however, properly creating the silk and pearls they should be making.

And I just noticed that the pearlworms can be moved to a cage for some strange reason.  o_O

Could it be because they can't fly?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 01:27:42 am »

You need [COLONY_EXTERNAL]

jjdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 10:28:09 am »

You need [COLONY_EXTERNAL]
I now have my pearlworms and my moths flying about outside their hives.  Thank you!

Now to make sure the pearls get cultivated and figure out why pearlworm colonies can be moved into cages...

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 09:52:27 am »

*casts necromancy on thread*

out of boredom i quickly made this mod together for easy use, it works for the 0.34.x series for now

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6023
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Frectorius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 02:23:22 am »

Hello everyone

I am new to modding dwarf fortress and this silkworms looks quite fascinating(!), but I don't know how this will work in the end. If a start in the woods and I have this worms and honey bees, will the dwarf with beekeeping labor gather randomly the creature or the one closer to the hive?
And do I need to make a new RAW .txt file for this creature or do I copy the content to en existing file?

Tanks for the answers

Nikitaw99

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 03:58:33 am »

And do I need to make a new RAW .txt file for this creature or do I copy the content to en existing file?

The OP says to create a file named "creature_small_silkworm.txt" and put it into the file.