Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looking for ideas - Weapons and Industry for a new age  (Read 2414 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Looking for ideas - Weapons and Industry for a new age
« on: July 30, 2018, 06:02:48 pm »

Okay, so. I intend to do a story fort with a focus on a character named Dr. Horizon. A dimension travelling super !!SCIENTIST!! whose areas of expertise are utilized to help the common man survive in harsh worlds. Additionally, the results may be released as thier own standalone mod.

Additionally, I need ideas for how to conduct the various research projects and what parts would be sensibly used in a simplified abstraction of making these weapons and armors.

This is in effect a giant shout out factory. This includes energy weapons if you guys think it'd be fair to include them and can ignore random laser or plasma bolts laying around.

Spoiler: WEAPONS SO FAR (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: ARMOR SO FAR (click to show/hide)

Additionally, I got an idea following on from Bioshock of drinkable upgrades that are expensive to produce and give only a single consumable unit of drink, but give serious benefits or magical abilities to a single unit. These however, if wanted for the story, would need a third party to make.

There are no bad ideas. Just keep in mind some will rely upon gameplay and story segregation or may need to be employed in roundabout ways.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for ideas - Weapons and Industry for a new age
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 09:41:48 pm »

Was this inspired by a certain mad scientist from Spearbreakers? That's what comes to mind reading this, but perhaps that is just me. :P
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 12:10:05 am »

Was this inspired by a certain mad scientist from Spearbreakers? That's what comes to mind reading this, but perhaps that is just me. :P

Nah, it wasn't. Although i could understand that guess. Weird part is that it's from someone who never even read Spearbreakers.

The more references to Portal, the better

Dunno how to do that.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 12:24:48 am »

Obviously you'd need a sonic screwdriver that stuns opponents. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 01:32:48 am »

Obviously you'd need a sonic screwdriver that stuns opponents. :)

I dunno man. Has Itemsyndrome been updated? If so then I'm not against it if someone with the knowledge wants to make it.

Hell if it has I could include full power armor as a super expensive armor option...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 02:01:49 am »

I think all of those syndrome-scripts have been updated.

As a neat weapon you could use indigofenix net-thrower. Loads a single web/rope as ammo, shoots, if it hits the target, it becomes caged. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 02:23:08 am »

Okay, so. If we have any generous modders out there who speak DF Hack, I've added several items to the list, as well as two more mana option ideas. Will include who suggested them alongside them so I know who to thank later on.

New additions
Magic Malus -  generic magic resistance potion.
Slade Slinger -  adds a blunt-impact emission attack

Net gun - Mobile specimen capture device
Sonic Screwdriver - For our use, a laser knife that can stun people at a distance.

Power Armor - Pick a franchise.
Hazard Suit - Counter to toxic gases and vapors.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 03:08:55 pm »

Maybe an expie of those turrets from Portal, which say 'friendly' things as they try to kill you?
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 12:01:37 am »

I dunno. Creatures are kinda outside my area of expertise. Not that it's going to stop me with a redone tribal mod, though I know I have Hugo and ZM5 to spotcheck stuff for me with that.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 04:59:38 am »

My creature pack has a Half Life 2 turret you could use, they're almost identical.

I'm more in the market for weapons and armor or abilities that don't necessarily need a new caste, not really new creatures.

As it stands this'll be a a miracle if I get it working right the first time when I get around to working on this stuff.

Although I'm also not opposed to ideas for how to abstract weapon assembly, research, or new materials that may or may not be needed for the new gear.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 06:36:44 am »

Add all new weapons as artefacts (aka add the weapon raws, but dont give the civ access to them), then add a workshop that triggers the dfhack script to start a strange-weaponsmithing-mood for a high cost.

You'll get wonderfully random results, maybe an iron sword, maybe an iron uber-whatever-you-added.

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 12:48:32 pm »

You'll get wonderfully random results, maybe an iron sword, maybe an iron uber-whatever-you-added.
Maybe you will get an adamantine power maul.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

Abyzou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 04:41:05 am »

A gun that shoots syndrome-bearing globs that turn creatures into horrible monstrosities (like the Chaos Spawn from Warhammer 40K).
Pages: [1] 2