Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with Draugr Crypt Megaproject  (Read 976 times)

Vindcara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with Draugr Crypt Megaproject
« on: July 26, 2018, 11:21:10 am »

I recently embarked on a desert biome with a flat volcano and decided that since I have an infinite supply of green glass blocks I ought to build a pyramid. Then I looked at the 200 or so caged cavern monsters I had just sitting around and figured, why not give it a dungeon too? Even better, give it catacombs with undead that defend their tombs! However, I’m having a little trouble with the logistics of this project. I have the following criteria:

1: Invaders should path into my pyramids dungeon (the dwarfs will be living in the pyramid proper)
2: Once inside the dungeon, the invaders should encounter my monsters &/or undead
3: There should be crypts for my dwarfs somewhere in the dungeon
4: Building destroyers shouldn’t mess with the crypts
5: My dead dwarfs should rise up to defend their crypts
6: The dungeon should connect to the caverns when necessary so my undead/monster army can kill any FB or clowns
7: there should be a path an adventure mode player can take to get into the crypts

I figure that a few things follow from this criteria:
- I will need a necromancer living permanently amongst the crypts to manage things
- Living monster need to be kept separate from the undead, or at least need to die slower than I can replenish them

So a few questions:
Will multiple necromancers get along with eachother and eachother’s undead?
Will zombies move through unlocked doors? What about locked doors?
What causes necromancers (made via fortress dwarfs reading books) to raise undead?
What changes can I expect when switching to adventure mode?

And most importantly: How would you accomplish all this?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Draugr Crypt Megaproject
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 12:28:27 pm »

- Citizen Necros will behave with each other, but all undead are hostile, including towards the Necro who raised them.  Fortifications will address that issue.
- Anything can move through unlocked doors, but not locked ones unless it is a building destroyer.
- More !SCIENCE! is needed here.  Sometimes if they are in danger, and sometimes just for the fun of it.
- Dunno, sorry.

For pathing, you'll want a standard airlock system to separate the main entrance (and presumably trade depot) from your dungeon.  However, chaining a few critters along the pathway to encourage invaders to take the correct route is never a bad idea.  For the dungeon itself, start by building it to a generous size, including future crypts and rows of fortifications to allow your Necros to raise dead in safety.

Keep in mind that most monsters & critters will attack each other, and undead will attack everything, so you might wish to dig your dungeon with the goal of having recognizable segments, separated from each other.  From there, you can build cages and assign any captured monsters or undead (dig out a large Lever Room in the Fortress proper and use (N)otes to keep track of everything).  The end of your dungeon can be the Cavern entrance, accessible (or not) as you see fit.

Vindcara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 02:39:19 pm »

Undead don't attack vampires right? would it be possible to have vampires work alongside the undead to maintain the dungeon, or would my vampires attack the undead? For that matter, is it possible for one of my dwarfs to be both a vampire and a necromancer simultaneously?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 03:15:21 pm »

In this case, it's a matter of citizen vs. non-citizen.  Raised zombies will attack everything, no exceptions.  Clarifying zombies here, because technically Vamps & Necros are undead.  And yes, you can have both.  Neither of them will eat or drink, so make sure you do Vampire first, then Necromancer.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 08:40:39 am »

Necromancers are not undead, though. Technically undead are critters with syndrome giving OPPOSED_TO_LIFE flag (which neither necros nor vampires have), but necromancers are even not NOT_LIVING. Something else has to prevent them from being attacked by their own zombies.

Anyway, vampires are attacked by zombies both in adventurer and in fortress mode, so they are not good for managing hordes of undead. Unless they are highly trained soldiers, that is.